Key Play Of The Game.........gosh I Hate That Rule

calvin

Give me a break. The Clemson players celebrated after TDs, as did every red-blooded American who scored a TD in college football. It was UNT's first TD of the season, against a tough opponent, on a big stage, and a 19-year-old kid scores a TD--to say his celebration afterward showed "no class" is way out of line on your part. Looking back, do I wish he hadn't? Sure. But your reflections on his character are way out of line.

so he was penalized because he showed class.

Crappy call. Alot of you need to pull the stick out of your asses. Showing some emotion after the score should be allowed. It's not like the whole team gathered and pulled a grenade blast celebration.

but that would have been cool and totally worth it!

• Upvote 1

remember...north texas has NEVER been in the end zone in south carolina before, so he had to celebrate! it really was the first time...

Those penalties will only get worse next year; time to start practicing whatever it takes not to get those. And to bring up an unpleasant detail, face it, we're struggling on kickoffs without that penalty.

Crappy call. Alot of you need to pull the stick out of your asses. Showing some emotion after the score should be allowed. It's not like the whole team gathered and pulled a grenade blast celebration.

it can't be that hard to score a td and celebrate without getting a penalty. afterall, clemson did it 5 times.

Ahhh UNT. We have a heralded history of memorable excessive celebration penalties. My favorites include:

The UNT defense doing the grenade celebration following a defensive touchdown in a blowout against (I believe) Idaho.

I don't remember the year/opponent, but Patrick Cobbs striking the Heisman pose after scoring a touchdown.

Sam Dibrell showing the eagle talon as he is running down the field for a touchdown against Navy. I still don't understand how this was an "after the play" penalty when the celebration occurred during the play before he crossed the goal line, but whatever.

Was it a questionable call? Yes

Would the ref had called that on a Clemson player? Probably not.

But we have to be smart enough to know that going in to the game. In these "guarantee" games we have to be near perfect to pull off an upset. That includes mentally.

One stupid play can totally swing the game and that was it. I don't understand how anyone can defend him. He wasn't showing emotion. Pumping his fist or letting out a roar would have been showing emotion He posed after he made the TD. He said look at ME. He said I'm COOL.

Could the ref have kept the flag in his pocket? sure. But that's the chance you take when you do something selfish and say "forget the team, look at ME."

If I get a ticket for going 74 in a 70, could the officer let me go? Sure. But I know the law, I have no defense. I was speeding. "but come on, I was only 4mph over". Doesn't matter. A rule's a rule. They don't always get enforced but when they do, how can anyone defend it?

Again, we have to be near perfect in these games. Especially on the mental side.

Hopefully he learned from it. I'm sure he'll be getting a little extra conditioning this week.

But the bottom line is, he put his whole team in a bad position.

• Upvote 2

Really hated that call...of course, I am a Mean Green fan. For the life of me it looked like he was pointing to the Mean green fans. I think the ref should have used some discretion on that one. No way the kid was "taunting" the crowd of doing anything excessive. Massive call against the Mean green. If the game had been in Denton, perhaps the call does not get made, but it did. Players need to learn from this and STOP IT! Like Dodge said...put the ball down, go the bench and celebrate with your team.

Man, stupid call, within the rules, yes, but stupid call by a ref who had his head up his Clemson rear end! OK, so I am prejudice about this, but come on...even referees should use their brains once in awhile. I saw Clemson do more celebrating after TD's with no flags! Good grief.

But, maybe a lesson learned by the whole team. That cost UNT badly in field position and led to a Clemson score...tough to put the defense in a situation like that (and like the kick-off out of bounds) and expect them to stop a team like Clemson. I was hoping for a 3-point max on that.

the ref doesn't make the rules, he enforces them. our player was wrong, and deserved the call. it was a bush league grandstand from a player who showed no class and acted as if he had never see the end zone before. his action was a selfish play, which cost us a td. sit him down for a game and maybe he will grow up.

"Sit him down for a game...?" I'm all about professionalism and discipline, but that celebration was not penalty worthy in the slightest. You're being way too hard on Darius.

• Upvote 1

"Sit him down for a game...?" I'm all about professionalism and discipline, but that celebration was not penalty worthy in the slightest. You're being way too hard on Darius.

it will be interesting to see if he starts this week. also, his "pose" was not a celebration. see clemson for flag free example.