Very Proud Of This Team

emmitt01

This team does look leaps and bounds better than last year. Some terrible tackling, ie the 2nd play from scrimmage, and a few mistakes like the DB on the 2nd Clemson TD that can be corrected. We have to TACKLE! I say next week, cover someone in grease, and have the defense practice wrapping up. I think Tune played very well minus that first pic and a few situations when he should have thrown the ball away or batted a blocked pass to the ground, but he played well and can move and run, which will help Dunbar. Dunbar is a STUD! I think we have the ability to run repeatedly and bring the linebackers in, then open up a pass. But we have enough of a passing threat to keep the linebackers modest so they can't stack the box. I thought the play calling was great. We were able to get 400+ yards on a good ACC team. Defense was able to force alot of punts and pic a pass off in the endzone. Cut down on the big plays and this game is alot closer. Some short kickoffs, but hey, we made a FG :D

This could be a GREAT season.

Edited by Rudy

I echo your sentiments. This team fought hard and hung in there all game. Am I disappointed with the outcome? Certainly. This is the kind of performance I expected in season two of the Dodge tenure but, given the QB and OC change, I think the offense played pretty well. The defense still has tackling issues and the big plays killed us but there was some definite improvement. I was particularly thrilled with Robertson's INT in the end zone.

Rice played Texas to a 34-17 loss and was very competitive in doing so. For that reason, I am a bit more concerned with next week's game than I was yesterday.

I thought the defense played well. Minus a penalty at almost the end of the first half, Defense held them to 14 points in the first half. They do have some tackling issues, but so far DeLoach has proved in the past and so far since he came back, his defenses are improving from year one forward. I was proud of the way they played today.

As for the Rice game, I like you am a little concerned. Rice stayed fairly close to UT for about the same time as we did Clemson, only main difference between the two is that UT is #5 in the country and Clemson isn't ranked.

I thought the defense played well. Minus a penalty at almost the end of the first half, Defense held them to 14 points in the first half. They do have some tackling issues, but so far DeLoach has proved in the past and so far since he came back, his defenses are improving from year one forward. I was proud of the way they played today.

As for the Rice game, I like you am a little concerned. Rice stayed fairly close to UT for about the same time as we did Clemson, only main difference between the two is that UT is #5 in the country and Clemson isn't ranked.

Let's see how Clemson and Texas finish the season.

I saw a lot of things I really liked today. Besides the defense at times arm tackling, they held up fairly well. Secondary had a decent game although Cook of all players just looked sluggish at times with bad pursuit angles and missed tackles. I don't understand where the animosity towards Tune is coming from IMO dude played a good game and made a few mistakes against a very solid ACC secondary. The offense moved the ball all day long against this team and we like you said we have been completely embarrassed in these money games even when were playing terrible KSU teams. I am very optimistic about this season, very very excited for the Rice game, expecting a big turnout.

I normally dismiss the whole "yeah but we out gained them in yardage" argument but look at the stats.

1st downs

UNT 25 Clemson 15

3rd down efficiency

UNT 11-22 Clemson 2-9

Total Yards

UNT 462 Clemson 423

Passing

UNT 269 Clemson 177

Rushing

UNT 49-193 3.9 avg Clemson 25-246 9.8 avg

Possession

UNT 41:52 Clemson 18:08

Don't disagree but Clemson often scored quickly which skews any dominant stats your offense may have had in time of possession.

Edited by Coach Andy Mac

Another thing, THE TRICK PLAY!!!!!!!!

Stratford HAD him, why was Stratford the one running that play and not Dodge, that was a terrible throw, that's a 4 point swing because of that throw.

Edit-But I loved the play call in the situation, despite the fact that it didn't work. I'm really excited about Chico and what he'll cook up for sun belt teams this season

Why didn't Stratford have any catches? Better yet, why was he not thrown to much, if any?

Let's see how Clemson and Texas finish the season.

It will be interesting to see.

I echo emmitt's original post. Love the look of this team and we will only get better. That was the best team on our schedule, by far, and we hung with them minus the big plays.

The 79 yard punt by Clemson was a killer. We have them pinned back, hold them to a three and out and should end up with good field position for once, and they kick it the length of the field. Also, the celebration call against Carey was ridiculous and resulted in Clemson getting a short field to work with just prior to the half.

Some of you can pick up your wrinkled $100 bills at the door.

Be glad you saw the game live emmitt. It was a Parker love fest on ESPNU and Danny Kannell is as bad a broadcaster as he was a quarterback.

Just to be clear, I'm in not calling for Rodge to be back at QB but people are going to praise a mistake laden game by Tune when they'd be calling for Riley's head. 3 fumbles and general confusion in the pocket under pressure. That second pick looked to me like it was supposed to be a back shoulder fade route... thrown to the inside shoulder of the CB. Not a terribley bad start by Tune, but it will and already is being praised as a smashing success.

So what are you saying then? I saw your post in chat about a player that I'd rather not repeat. That second pick looked to me like it was designed for the ball to be thrown to a spot at a certain time and the WR couldn't shed a block to get back there. You can blame it on QB/WR and good coverage.

It isn't being called a smashing success. You're just being overly dramatic.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

Totally agree! Their first team was in til the very end. Very proud of the Mean Green. They played true to their motto of "finish". Actually, a few strange plays away from really making this very close. Just kuddos all around! Can you wait to the Rice game....I CAN'T!

"Believe in the Mean Green"!!!!

• Upvote 1

I'm very proud of our team. 35-10 much better then many of us could have hoped for. Were we perfect? No, but we can build on this game. We never quit. Under Canales, our offense had success. The defense looks improved. No blocked punts or kicks.

Take away the TD Clemson got by using the ref as a pick. Don't throw 2 int's in the endzone. The final score could have easily been 28-16.

Rice played Texas better then I hoped they would. "Next Saturday Rice vs. North Texas could end up being one of the greatest games ever played at Fouts". Be sure to tell your friends that. We need a big crowd.

Be glad you saw the game live emmitt. It was a Parker love fest on ESPNU and Danny Kannell is as bad a broadcaster as he was a quarterback.

I didn't necessarily have a problem with the Parker love fest because I pretty much anticipated an all around Clemson love fest because ESPN U was catering to the ACC audience the whole game including with all the updates, halftime show etc. However you are totally correct that Danny Kannell was a TERRIBLE commentator. I don't think he did much research on NT if any because there were times where he would say comments as if it was Todd Dodge's first or second year and not someone who is on the hot seat.

Edited by Green Mean