Troy Writer Thinks Unt Will Be Improved Team In '10

MeanGreen61

http://www.gulfeast.com/dothaneagle/dea/troy_blog/comments/reaction_to_troy_being_picked_2nd/167032/

I think Dodge and the Mean Green will be improved this year, and I’m one of not many people to think that outside of Denton. The offensive line is a veteran unit, running back Lance Dunbar is very good and the defense should be pretty solid.

But what ? You don't beleive the defense will be improved ?

We lost our only pass rusher and our best player , I can't see how much more improved we will be.

Everything starts with the DLine & we didn't add anything to the mix

If Shavod can be anything like Booger , then I will have high hopes

Edited by NT03

But what ? You don't beleive the defense will be improved ?

I question whether the defense AND the special teams will show improvement this year. All this excitement about Canales seems to ignore the fact that the offense wasn't the problem last year, everything else was.

Unless Deloach becomes much more aggresive (which has never been in his nature) to cover for a poor pass rush, I just don't see from where the improvement comes.

Everyone ignores special teams, at least until the opposition is blocking field goals, extra points, and punts at will. Huge part of the game that a Dodge coached UNT team has never even been close to performing on a college level. Will they this year? Hope so, but history says they won't.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We lost our only pass rusher and our best player , I can't see how much more improved we will be.

Everything starts with the DLine & we didn't add anything to the mix

I would feel comfortable in stating that Akpunku was statistically our best pass rusher and more than a few have been added to the mix including:

Bellazin: 3 star DE

Boutwell: Gray shirt comparable to Jeremy Chapman

And a few others that I don't recall. Plus Aniyam, Obi, Atkinson, Jackson, Weber, White, Cantly, etc... have had a year to grow in the system and work under Coach Char

I would feel comfortable in stating that Akpunku was statistically our best pass rusher and more than a few have been added to the mix including:

Bellazin: 3 star DE

Boutwell: Gray shirt comparable to Jeremy Chapman

And a few others that I don't recall. Plus Aniyam, Obi, Atkinson, Jackson, Weber, White, Cantly, etc... have had a year to grow in the system and work under Coach Char

Problem is, Akpunku is 220 lbs and gets crushed against the run.

This line gave up over 200 per game last year on the ground and produced little to no pass rush. I hope the stars allign and everything comes up aces, but the odds aren't in our favor. As you well know, the fact that you even mention a true freshman and a grayshirt as needed difference makers this year just shows the lack of playmakers on the d-line. Hopefully someone steps up this year.

29 turnovers says that it sure wasn't part of the solution.

This is a great point. We gave away several games that we had under control (ULL comes to top of mind) with costly, back breaking turnovers.

That being said, UNT90 has valid concerns regarding the yardage that we give up on the ground defensively, as well as our atrocious special teams play over the past few years. Not being able to kick extra points consistently (don't even get started on field goals) and getting mutliple punts blocked in a single game are just inexcusible.

Edited by Green Lantern

Well there should be improvement because seriously...can it get any worse??

Odus Mitchell took over the North Texas program in 46 after North Texas had not fielded a team from 43 to 45 (essentially a death penalty). His first four years were, 7-3-1, 10-2 (with a bowl game), 6-4, and 8-4.

And the very under funded Corkey Nelson won a SLC championship in his second year and went to the playoffs.

I quit expecting "improvement" after the second year of our current coaching "era".

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Uh, Troy had 25 turnovers. But you know what? They had 21 takeaways (Bowl game not included).

When you have a defense that can cover for offensive mistakes and, by George, create their own turnovers, then you can win the conference.

Yes, the offense had some critical turnovers. No, the defense did not step up and make a play to make us all forget about those critical turnovers and, more importantly, created very few, if any, critical turnovers for the other team.

Offense wasn't the problem, boys, plain and simple.

• Downvote 1

I question whether the defense AND the special teams will show improvement this year. All this excitement about Canales seems to ignore the fact that the offense wasn't the problem last year, everything else was.

Unless Deloach becomes much more aggresive (which has never been in his nature) to cover for a poor pass rush, I just don't see from where the improvement comes.

Everyone ignores special teams, at least until the opposition is blocking field goals, extra points, and punts at will. Huge part of the game that a Dodge coached UNT team has never even been close to performing on a college level. Will they this year? Hope so, but history says they won't.

Shhhhhhh. It's easier to ignore the short field the defense had to defend or the momentum crushing INT's or fumbles (especially the ones in the redzone).

Yep defense was a bend but also break sometimes kind of thing. Offense was a move the ball but turn it over/ don't score kind of thing. They both contributed.

Unfortunately I don't see much to be excited about this year. We are going to be a one trick pony if the passing game doesn't improve.

• Upvote 1

OK, let's not go "gloom and doom" on us now folks. While there is much to improve upon from last season, I see some signs (4 pre-season all-conference picks, new coaching improvements and responsibilities, more experience on the squad overall, etc.) to be very pleased about going into pre-season camp. Cut down on the turnovers, improve on special teams and work on coverages for the D-Backs that don't give the opposing WR's 10 yards of cushion to start with at the snap, and UNT may well see a seven win season. I think the team and coaching staff is very capable of seven wins and a bowl bid. We'll all see how that turns out as the season progresses, but right now there is much to be excited about with this team and staff.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 1

Interesting. Looking at MTSU, they only gave the ball away 20 times, thanks in large part to 0 turnover games against WKU, UNT, and ULL.

The really interesting thing is they took the ball away 31 times from their opponents (to be fair, 5 times from UNT).

While giving the ball away is important, I think having the ability to take it away and stop teams when your offense does give it away is just so much more important, and a thing this team hasn't had in years.

KRAM, I hope your right and there is a magical turnaround this year.

Yep defense was a bend but also break sometimes kind of thing.

Very very generous, don't you think?

More fun with numbers. UNT allowed 39.5 points per game in conference last year as opposed to 44 ppg in 2008. Conference opponents are the ones that know you best. Call me crazy, but moving from 44 ppg allowed to 39.5 ppg allowed doesn't shout improvement to me.

I'm only trying to be realistic, not negative. The road in front of this coaching staff this year has about a 35% grade. I really, really, really, hope the players come out and prove the numbers wrong.

Edited by UNT90

Minimizing TOs will certainly help the D. But, just our luck, we took it from Troy 7 times and they slaughtered us anyways. Anyone else remember that?

Seems like the darnedest things always happen in Little D.

It wasn't last year.

Must be nice to have a defense that can cover for your offensive mistakes.

Very very generous, don't you think?

More fun with numbers. UNT allowed 39.5 points per game in conference last year as opposed to 44 ppg in 2008. Conference opponents are the ones that know you best. Call me crazy, but moving from 44 ppg allowed to 39.5 ppg allowed doesn't shout improvement to me.

I'm only trying to be realistic, not negative. The road in front of this coaching staff this year has about a 35% grade. I really, really, really, hope the players come out and prove the numbers wrong.

Yeah I know. The general vibe I get is "our defense is improving!"

I realize that a step towards allowing less points is good, and should be recognized, but I also think it should be recognized for what it is- not enough, as you pointed out, 90.

We aren't a good football team, and we will not do very good this year. I am just hoping for more improvement. Everyone knows it is an ugly setup this year. We have a coach on the hotseat that has spent the last four years not stocking up the program with long-term talent. I mean, it is year three of the most hyped recruit we have ever had and he is taking the Kerry Meier route of college stardom (I hope).

Like I said, I am just hoping for improvement. If all we can muster is 'improving' to 30ppg allowed, I'll take it. As long as we beat Troy cuz eff those guys.

• Upvote 1