My Idea To Merge The Wac And Belt

stebo

Can this be done without the WAC killing the Belt or vice-versa? Absolutely. The WAC will soon be at 8 members (without Boise) and the Belt will soon be at 10 (USA will move up in 2013). So there are 18 members between the two conferences. Let's say that the WAC decides to add central time zone teams to keep La Tech and save their league. They could try to go after FCS schools and that would promptly push Tech to Indy land or the Belt. If Tech leaves, they are down to 7 and are screwed. At 7 members, the WAC isn't recognized by the NCAA as a Div I football member conference and their piece of the BCS pie could potentially go away without a waiver.

So here is the question, how do you make everyone happy? The smart thing to do would be to invite 4 schools from the Belt. That would put the WAC at 12 members, perfect East and West divisions, with a championship game alternating between Reno and (maybe) Denton. But wouldn't that leave the Belt at 6 and really screwed. The Belt could immediately invite UTSA and Texas State and call it a night, maybe throw in Lamar as a back-up... all three would jiz all over each other for a "bona-fide" invite.

The four schools from the Belt could be NT, UL, ASU, and MT/Troy (had trouble deciding on which one - both have different positives). That would set the WAC up like this:

East:

NMSU

NT

La Tech

UL

ASU

MT or Troy

West:

Idaho

USU

Fresno

San Jose

Hawaii

Nevada

The Belt would have:

FIU

FAU

USA

WKY

ULM

MT or Troy

and they could add

UTSA

TS - San Marcos

Lamar

and they would have basketball only members, Denver and UALR

Whatta ya think? Is this agreeable to all parties, if so - I will start the paperwork today ;)

I get the feeling that whoever gets left out (betweem MT and Troy) will try to get into the MAC or CUSA. They probably wouldn't want to stay in the Belt version 2013. But at least that would be the school's decision to make - they would still have a home if they chose to stay there.

BTW - the WAC would HAVE to get a Central time zone bowl, maybe even buy out the bid to the NO Bowl. That would need to be a part of the agreement. Boise is going to take their smurf bowl with them to the MWC which leaves the WAC with a New Mexico bowl on the verge of bankruptcy and the Hawaii bowl. Both pretty terrible bowls and even worse for a central time zone teams and fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Maybe if you add another team to the East (MT and Troy both)....that way NMSU could be in the West...a much better division for them.

East:

NT

La Tech

UL

ASU

MT

Troy

West:

NMSU

Idaho

USU

Fresno

San Jose

Hawaii

Nevada

The Belt would have:

FIU

FAU

USA

WKY

ULM

and they could add

UTSA

TS - San Marcos

Lamar

this gets the Belt to 8 and all three schools are striving to be FBS schools within the next 3 to 4

Ok John - Done - now can we get this paperwork all drawn up? Being a commisioner is such a demanding job and I need to go back to sleep.

East:

NT

La Tech

UL

ASU

MT

Troy

West:

NMSU

Idaho

USU

Fresno

San Jose

Hawaii

Nevada

The Belt would have:

FIU

FAU

USA

WKY

ULM

and they could add

UTSA

TS - San Marcos

Lamar

this gets the Belt to 8 and all three schools are striving to be FBS schools within the next 3 to 4

Ok John - Done - now can we get this paperwork all drawn up? Being a commisioner is such a demanding job and I need to go back to sleep.

Stebo:

Like I have stated before, you have a good business plan and RV need to put you on payroll. He needs to have you as his right hand man in these negotations for better NT conference placement

smile.gif

That would set the WAC up like this:

East:

NMSU

NT

La Tech

UL

ASU

MT or Troy

West:

Idaho

USU

Fresno

San Jose

Hawaii

Nevada

The Belt would have:

FIU

FAU

USA

WKY

ULM

MT or Troy

and they could add

UTSA

TS - San Marcos

Lamar

I am opposed to WAC membership. However, if it was to happen, I would rather have TSU or UTSA than Troy or MTSU. I would like to have another TX school to play every year and the more compact the division the better for all sports.

No to any of the Louisiana-InsertTownNameHere. They are the bane of the Sun Belt, sounding like community college campuses.

You do realize that Louisiana is the only member of the Sunbelt to not have to go through 1AA hell. They remained 1A the entire time. Most of the Wacy teams had to go through 1AA hell as well.

Not sure how University of Louisiana at Lafayette "sounds" like a community college when University of Nevada at Las Vegas does not.

Why is it the "bane of the Sunbelt?"

• Upvote 5

This conference talk is giving me tired head. At the end of the day it doesn't matter where we are. The rich are just getting richer and those who are not in the " power conferences" are nothing more than warm up games for the big boys that the rest of the country could care nothing about.

Maybe this is the start to finally getting a football playoff ? If so, that just means that maybe those who are not in the power conferences will all get to battle it out for 1 spot in a 16 team field where you are just about guaranteed to get your ass kicked in the 1st round , but hey atleast you get a chance right ? If not a playoff then we get to hang our hats on maybe a New Orleans Bowl or that ever elusive Pappa John's bowl game that is played every year in .... Hell who cares

Let's face it we only have 2 options : The Sunbelt or the WAC. We aren't getting into C-USA because of SMU the same way Baylor isn't going to get into the MWC because of TCU. It's just how things work.

UNT has no pull. Yes we are in the DFW area ,but that doesn't mean we have DFW rating power. In Dallas it's UT,a&m,OU,Tech and that will not change. We don't even have a Denton fanbase much less a metroplex. You think a conference is drooling over UNT because of a dallas tv market ? Feel free to check out any of the ratings we did on our past games on channel 21.

Man I can't wait for CLEMSON !!

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You and I don't agree on much, but you are dead on in this case.

Don't be so suprised, Im actually a really likeable guy :P

Not sure how University of Louisiana at Lafayette "sounds" like a community college when University of Nevada at Las Vegas does not.

Because...Its Las Vegas. :D

UNLV has reached the final four in basketball four times, and won a national championship once. They have national name recognition that supercedes the "State-City" name of their university, much like Southern Cal overcomes their "directional" school name.

14 team WAC-belt:

West:

Idaho

USU

Fresno

San Jose

Hawaii

Nevada

NMSU

East:

La Tech

UNT

ULL

Ark. St.

MTSU

Troy

WKU

Your most likely going to need to add a home for Baylor. However, a merge this size could really increase revenue if it were to happen.

Can this be done without the WAC killing the Belt or vice-versa? Absolutely. The WAC will soon be at 8 members (without Boise) and the Belt will soon be at 10 (USA will move up in 2013). So there are 18 members between the two conferences. Let's say that the WAC decides to add central time zone teams to keep La Tech and save their league. They could try to go after FCS schools and that would promptly push Tech to Indy land or the Belt. If Tech leaves, they are down to 7 and are screwed. At 7 members, the WAC isn't recognized by the NCAA as a Div I football member conference and their piece of the BCS pie could potentially go away without a waiver.

So here is the question, how do you make everyone happy? The smart thing to do would be to invite 4 schools from the Belt. That would put the WAC at 12 members, perfect East and West divisions, with a championship game alternating between Reno and (maybe) Denton. But wouldn't that leave the Belt at 6 and really screwed. The Belt could immediately invite UTSA and Texas State and call it a night, maybe throw in Lamar as a back-up... all three would jiz all over each other for a "bona-fide" invite.

The four schools from the Belt could be NT, UL, ASU, and MT/Troy (had trouble deciding on which one - both have different positives). That would set the WAC up like this:

another option might be for north texas and ark. st. to move to w.a.c. now, adding texas st. and utsa when they become eligible for 1a football. this would give you a 12 school wac, with new mexico st. ,la.tech., unt, ark. st., texas st. and utsa in eastern division. just a thought.

East:

NMSU

NT

La Tech

UL

ASU

MT or Troy

West:

Idaho

USU

Fresno

San Jose

Hawaii

Nevada

The Belt would have:

FIU

FAU

USA

WKY

ULM

MT or Troy

and they could add

UTSA

TS - San Marcos

Lamar

Whatta ya think? Is this agreeable to all parties, if so - I will start the paperwork today ;)

I get the feeling that whoever gets left out (betweem MT and Troy) will try to get into the MAC or CUSA. They probably wouldn't want to stay in the Belt version 2013. But at least that would be the school's decision to make - they would still have a home if they chose to stay there.

BTW - the WAC would HAVE to get a Central time zone bowl, maybe even buy out the bid to the NO Bowl. That would need to be a part of the agreement. Boise is going to take their smurf bowl with them to the MWC which leaves the WAC with a New Mexico bowl on the verge of bankruptcy and the Hawaii bowl. Both pretty terrible bowls and even worse for a central time zone teams and fans.

I am opposed to WAC membership. However, if it was to happen, I would rather have TSU or UTSA than Troy or MTSU. I would like to have another TX school to play every year and the more compact the division the better for all sports.

I agree other Texas schools must be involved this would lead to more rivalery games and therefore. increased revenue. Has anyone mentioned that if the Big 12 schools left out of the shuffle decide to recreate the conference UNT would be a big plus for them. Regaining the DFW market.

Just say no to any configuration that does not allow us to bring the UNTD Jaguars as a travel partner.

Good plan, but they will have to step their plans to make that work. Basketball is not coming until 2013 and not sure what NCAA they will target yet. But we could meet at JerryWorld every year!!! :D

Let's jump from one conference with unknown system campuses to another. It will completely different. And better.

14 team WAC-belt:

West:

Idaho

USU

Fresno

San Jose

Hawaii

Nevada

NMSU

East:

La Tech

UNT

ULL

Ark. St.

MTSU

Troy

WKU

If CUSA stays tight with their current roster...I like it. If Baylor needs a home they could take WKU's place. The 'Toppers would be welcome in the MAC so they would survive.

I think that it's a great backup plan and would work even if there were no additional movement. It would have to become the WAC because I don't know that we could oust existing members. The WAC would simply take in six from the Sun Belt.

UNT has no pull. Yes we are in the DFW area ,but that doesn't mean we have DFW rating power. In Dallas it's UT,a&m,OU,Tech and that will not change. We don't even have a Denton fanbase much less a metroplex. You think a conference is drooling over UNT because of a dallas tv market ? Feel free to check out any of the ratings we did on our past games on channel 21.

Man I can't wait for CLEMSON !!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Responding to NT03:

A winnning UNT football program has proven in the past to be a local and regional TV ratings winner. A DMN sports reporter (her name I cannot recall) even had a blurb pointing out UNT's TV drawing power years ago showing how the Mean Green had won its time slot on an ABC-TV game (yes, that shows how long ago that was); but bottom line for good TV ratings is that your football program must be a.....

W-I-N-N-E-R !

UNT football is a local and regional TV ratings winner??? Forget it...he's rolling...

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related