Todd Ford Is Out..... Who's Next?

GreenTeam

Well, my posting regarding Coach Petersen to be the next OC at North

Texas was either too early or too late, as per Brett Vito's blog comments.

I wonder why Coach Dodge is not considering Coach Petersen for

the OC position?

Ego? We did not have the "Gipper" play here so Dodge could win won for him next year?

Lets say we make some changes on offense (i.e. tight end, qb under center sometimes, run an option, etc.) win 6 games next year, but Dodge is let go because he does not have a winning record. Then, his 5-31 record that he has now has got now looks grotesque. Because it is going to prove that had he been willing to make some changes before it got to the "make or break" point, his offensive philosophy was not effective at this level and he was not flexible or was to selfish to make any changes. He has put the make or break year on his shoulders.

Ego? We did not have the "Gipper" play here so Dodge could win won for him next year?

Lets say we make some changes on offense (i.e. tight end, qb under center sometimes, run an option, etc.) win 6 games next year, but Dodge is let go because he does not have a winning record. Then, his 5-31 record that he has now has got now looks grotesque. Because it is going to prove that had he been willing to make some changes before it got to the "make or break" point, his offensive philosophy was not effective at this level and he was not flexible or was to selfish to make any changes. He has put the make or break year on his shoulders.

Look, if we really do get the offense changed and win six games in 2010, Dodge will be here in 2011 - and, rightfully so. It would be proof that he can see beyond his own ideas. That's important at this level.

You can't be a cowboy in FBS schools. You need people around you who really know what they are doing. Coach Petersen did it for years at Air Force. I think if Dodge would switch him over and really let him game plan as an equal, we'd be hard to stop. I think Leftwich would also be a good choice.

On the other hand, if we get George promoted or hire another ding dong who simply defers everything to Dodge's liking, we'll get the same garbage we've gotten to the first three seasons - unable to convert third and fourth and a yard, running option out of the end zone on the conference's top defense, getting in the red zone and throwing interceptions in the end zone, poor ball handling leading to untimely fumbles.

Something's got to change. The offensive line advantage ends after this season. We'll be young there again in 2011. We need someone who can tap the advantage we should have in experience in 2010 on the offensive side of the ball. We wasted nine returning defensive starters in 2007 due to poor coaching choices. I hope we don't do the same in 2010 on the offensive side of the ball.

On the other hand, Ford left for a head coaching gig. Todge didn't force him out. This MAY not signal that Todge has any plans to change offensive philosophy.

He may or may not have thought a H.S. head coaching position was a better gig. But it is interesting that our underperforming assistant coaches, while not being "fired," continually seem to find "new opportunities."

He may or may not have thought a H.S. head coaching position was a better gig. But it is interesting that our underperforming assistant coaches, while not being "fired," continually seem to find "new opportunities."

And, this one is real new - they won't field a team until 2012. It'll be like a two year, paid vacation for Ford.

I think we need to hire from outside our program. My first choice would be Steve Axman, the OC from Idaho. He has experience in the PAC 10, and ACC. Last season Idaho finished 20th in scoring offense and 9th in total offense. We were 63rd and 36th. The highest paid assistant at Idaho made $125,000 last year. I don't know what Ford made last year, but I don't think it was that much. We'd have to offer more, probably around $135,000 or better to get him here. His system is not that much different then Dodge's. With him, I think we could easily go 5-7, if Dodge let him run the offense.

Edited by Side Show Joe

I think we need to hire from outside our program. My first choice would be Steve Axman, the OC from Idaho. He has experience in the PAC 10, and ACC. Last season Idaho finished 20th in scoring offense and 9th in total offense. We were 63rd and 36th. The highest paid assistant at Idaho made $125,000 last year. I don't know what Ford made year, but I don't think it waa that much. We'd have to offer more, probably around $135,000 or better to get him here. His system is not that much different then Dodge's. With him, I think with him we could easily go 5-7.

That is Unacceptable, I think Dodge must go minimum 7-5 or 8-4 to keep his job, maybe 6-6 if RV feels bad for him.

• Upvote 1

How is easy will it be to get a quality Dv1 OC in with a HC on a one year leash?

Not easy! My guess is they will shuffle some of the assistants that they have right now and spread his money among them. Suffice it to say that Dodge will be his own offensive coordinator in this most critical year in his coaching career.

That is Unacceptable, I think Dodge must go minimum 7-5 or 8-4 to keep his job, maybe 6-6 if RV feels bad for him.

I totally agree with you. Axman might get us 7-5, but I can't think of another OC that we can afford that can do it.

When I wrote 5-7, I ment that on the low end.

I totally agree with you. Axman might get us 7-5, but I can't think of another OC that we can afford that can do it.

When I wrote 5-7, I ment that on the low end.

I think TD said in an interview that RV said 7-5 min or he would be moving on down the road....TD said that was OK because his expections were the same....was on MG preimium or the UNT athletic site near end of Dec 09

I think TD said in an interview that RV said 7-5 min or he would be moving on down the road....TD said that was OK because his expections were the same....was on MG preimium or the UNT athletic site near end of Dec 09

RV made some comments about that in the last podcast: http://www.gomeangreen.com/wordpress09/wor...ds/gmgpod64.mp3

"I'm not looking to get to 6-6. . . . We've made that very clear with Coach Dodge. . . . He accepted that challenge."

RV made some comments about that in the last podcast: http://www.gomeangreen.com/wordpress09/wor...ds/gmgpod64.mp3

"I'm not looking to get to 6-6. . . . We've made that very clear with Coach Dodge. . . . He accepted that challenge."

I am not a fan of the current coach at this point, but if this team goes 5-7 NEXT season, you have to seriously consider bringing him back for a fifth year. Go 6-6, more wins in one year than in your first three put together, I think you bring him back. I know RV says 7-5, but it would be hard to let a guy go with that much improvement.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

My rope just doesn't have any more slack in it...bowl eligible or the toilet bowl in 2010.

Or, as Johnny Cochran might put it, " At 7 and 5, you will survive. To 6 you git, it ain't worth $hit!".

I am not a fan of the current coach at this point, but if this team goes 5-7 NEXT season, you have to seriously consider bringing him back for a fifth year. Go 6-6, more wins in one year than in your first three put together, I think you bring him back. I know RV says 7-5, but it would be hard to let a guy go with that much improvement.

If GoMeanGreen1999 can cut him that much slack, then I can too. Especially since coaches aren't coming with any kind of guarantee these days, and Dodge does seem to want to be here (for now anyway). Mainly, I think it would indicate that Dodge had started making needed changes. If he continues making some of the mistakes he has made in the last year, he won't win 6 games next year, and probably not 5.

My rope just doesn't have any more slack in it...bowl eligible or the toilet bowl in 2010.

Or, as Johnny Cochran might put it, " At 7 and 5, you will survive. To 6 you git, it ain't worth $hit!".

So you are saying that Dodge has vowed to never stop looking for the man that ran off all of the tight ends/fullbacks from the roster?