Todd Ford Is Out..... Who's Next?

GreenTeam

Todd Dodge is the REAL offensive coordinator at North Texas. Coach Ford might have held the title but it is Dodge's offense. He makes the decisions about what offense to run and what plays to call. Nothing changes until a change at the head coaching level takes place. Good luck to Coach Ford. I wish him well.

I'm gonna view this with cautious optimism.

On one hand this opens the door for Todge to bring in someone with experience scheming at the collegiate level (and who might see that the dink and dunk doesn't work if you have no power running game in short yardage or threats in the middle of the field). I think the "all or nothing" atmosphere of this season may force a quality hire.

On the other hand, Ford left for a head coaching gig. Todge didn't force him out. This MAY not signal that Todge has any plans to change offensive philosophy.

What do yall think about this??

The Old Coach

Hallelujah! I'm sure this will give us GMG members something relevant to North Texas football for discussion for a while, anyway. I knew some of these assistants would "find new jobs". No, I'm not sure about how much difference it will make as far as offensive philosophy and play calling, but I think it means one more assistant coach with prior college level experience, and that's a good thing.

Edited by eulessismore

I'm gonna view this with cautious optimism.

On one hand this opens the door for Todge to bring in someone with experience scheming at the collegiate level (and who might see that the dink and dunk doesn't work if you have no power running game in short yardage or threats in the middle of the field). I think the "all or nothing" atmosphere of this season may force a quality hire.

On the other hand, Ford left for a head coaching gig. Todge didn't force him out. This MAY not signal that Todge has any plans to change offensive philosophy.

I can't see TF leaving as a bad thing, as long as we bring in a Division 1A OC my feeling about next season just improved drastically.

• Upvote 1

Well, I'm glad to hear this. Good Luck to Todd Ford, and I hope he does well in the future.

...now, the $64,000 question - will Dodge take advantage of this and really upgrade his staff, or will he just shuffle the existing staff and keep himself in charge of the offense?

I hope he takes this as an opportunity to really improve his situation.

Well, I'm glad to hear this. Good Luck to Todd Ford, and I hope he does well in the future.

...now, the $64,000 question - will Dodge take advantage of this and really upgrade his staff, or will he just shuffle the existing staff and keep himself in charge of the offense?

How is easy will it be to get a quality Dv1 OC in with a HC on a one year leash?

This is where we find out whether or not Dodge can set aside his ego and hire (or move) someone who will really change the offense for the better - even if it means using fullbacks and tight ends.

I hope we get Petersen over to that side of the ball and see more of the Air Force-type offense mixed in that he used so successfully up there. I've said for months that we have some of the pieces already here, but they are just misplaced. I hope Petersen will get consideration for the OC job.

This is such a positive development. It's like I came to the office and had that feeling of getting to open a present on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day!

Now, move Peterson over to the offensive side of the ball where he belongs and go get us a secondary coach.

According to Vito's blog, you can forget about that:

Dodge said he will not look at moving safeties coach Chuck Petersen to the offensive side of the ball. Petersen came to UNT from Air Force, where he coached on the offensive side of the ball.

According to Vito's blog, you can forget about that:

Dodge said he will not look at moving safeties coach Chuck Petersen to the offensive side of the ball. Petersen came to UNT from Air Force, where he coached on the offensive side of the ball.

Disappointing, but not surprising. Still, this hire will show how much, or little, control Dodge is willing to give up in order to really field a competitive team in 2010...and save his job. I have my doubts.

But, Ford gone is still the best news out the program in a long time for those of us tired of watching high school offense at the college level. Dodge/Ford's offensive is the ultimate in trying to fit a square peg into a round hole at this level. The hire will show whether or not Dodge is finally serious about installing a college-worthy offense.

Disappointing, but not surprising. Still, this hire will show how much, or little, control Dodge is willing to give up in order to really field a competitive team in 2010...and save his job. I have my doubts.

But, Ford gone is still the best news out the program in a long time for those of us tired of watching high school offense at the college level. Dodge/Ford's offensive is the ultimate in trying to fit a square peg into a round hole at this level. The hire will show whether or not Dodge is finally serious about installing a college-worthy offense.

Could Dodge immediately discounting promotions from within mean Peterson may be leaving too and they just aren't ready to announce?

Could Dodge immediately discounting promotions from within mean Peterson may be leaving too and they just aren't ready to announce?

Okay, I read Vito's article. It doesn't say that he totally discounts hiring from within, but that he's going to take his time and look around. He does say that it's possible that the move could come from within.

My guess is, barring Petersen, the move from within would either be Leftwich or Gandy. Or, unfortunately...George, who also came straight off a high school sideline. If George is ultimately the call, we'll have our answer on whether or not Dodge will hire someone who challenges him to build a more credible college gameplan. This, I fear most.

Chuck Petersen was at Air Force for 17 years. Petersen was the OC and QB coach for his last 10 years at AF.

Coached the WR's from 1991-96.

Petersen's offense featured the TE and FB, with a option/pass attack.

Air Force won the national rushing title in 2002, and lead the MWC in scoring the same year.

Named the D1 Assistant Coach of the Year in 2003, by the National Football Coaches Association, as the OC/QB coach. Developed AF QB Blane Morgan, the 1998 WAC POY, and Mike Thiesen, POY in 2000, 1687yds passing

and 13 TD's.

Coach Petersen is an excellent recruiter, and has successfully brought in top players to NT.

This information is from Coach Petersen's bio at the coaching page of the Mean Green Athletics site.

I would think, promoting Coach Petersen as the OC would be the best choice for the football program.

I am voting for Coach Petersen as the OC!

Personally, I am totally on board with hiring an OC from "outside". I think this offense needs a different perspective and, with all the recent developments with coaching changes, I think we have a good opportunity to make a quality hire. Honestly, I'd be a bit disappointed if someone on the current staff is promoted to the position.

It is wishful thinking to think that Dodge is going to make any changes in his offensive philosophy. Somebody is not going to come in here and we all of a sudden have wider gaps in the offensive line (yes, emmitt, another knock on the o-line), a tight end, and some plays from under center. And why would any coordinator with any pedigree come here for a make or break season when right after the K-State game, he is going to be looking for a job. No, Todd Dodge is not going to have somebody come in here, prove him wrong, and in his eyes, show him up.

I also think this has been in the works for a while, probably since the program evaluation at the end of the season, and now it is taking place. Probably Cedar Hill had to run its traps with posting the job, interviewing from within the district, etc. Who knows, but it was hard to swallow that there were not going to be some staff shuffling at the end of the season. Will Gandy go with him?

Wish and dream all you want......nothing changes except a new head will be holding headsets on Saturday, but the real offensive coordinator is Todd Dodge.