Unt

Mad Hatter

This has become my mantra, when folks bring up UNT football. "We're more of a basketball school". I usually get a response like "Didn't you go to the NCAA Tournament last year?"

Johnny Jones has built a winner, and is doing it the way Boise and TCU did in football. We stopped scheduling mostly body bag games, and started to string together some wins, mixed in with 1 or 2 "Big" games. Then we do well in conference and that gives us a shot at the end of the year. More wins brings better recruits, which starts the process over again.

UNT - We're really more of a basketball school anyway.

Guest GrayEagleOne

To think back to what the program was when JJ took over to now is simply amazing. He's gonna be a first ballot HOF'er

And, he's a nice guy, too which proves Leo Durocher was wrong. Nice guys don't always finish last.

This has become my mantra, when folks bring up UNT football. "We're more of a basketball school". I usually get a response like "Didn't you go to the NCAA Tournament last year?"

Johnny Jones has built a winner, and is doing it the way Boise and TCU did in football. We stopped scheduling mostly body bag games, and started to string together some wins, mixed in with 1 or 2 "Big" games. Then we do well in conference and that gives us a shot at the end of the year. More wins brings better recruits, which starts the process over again.

UNT - We're really more of a basketball school anyway.

Scheduling the "Sisters of the Poor" will pad some wins but won't get any recognition by postseason Tournament committees. We better win the SBC Tourney otherwise we'll be staying home. And NO we are not a basketball school. This is Texas, we play top level Football...or we used to at one time, now I'm not sure what we're playing. :ph34r:

Scheduling the "Sisters of the Poor" will pad some wins but won't get any recognition by postseason Tournament committees. We better win the SBC Tourney otherwise we'll be staying home. And NO we are not a basketball school. This is Texas, we play top level Football...or we used to at one time, now I'm not sure what we're playing. :ph34r:

Getting blown out by top 25 schools won't get you any recognition either.

So if neither get you recognition why do either? Schedule more mid-level D-1 teams; we don't have to schedule D-II teams or Top25 teams.

Look, I'm gonna assume all this frustration is just spill over from the football board...whata ya say we just all kick back and watch some entertaining and successful basketball and relish the fact that it is being played in our colors and not worry about whether or not we're a "football" or "basketball" school.

Besides, everyone knows were a music school. :ph34r:

North Texas plays at least an average schedule for it's level. The schedule is, of course, out of balance in that most of the good teams are road games instead of at home.

To remedy this, we need to draw more fans. Wichita State drew 10,228 for it's game with Newman. That is how they are able to schedule TCU and Tx Tech at home. The athletic department can only do so much. We, the fans, get the home schedule that we deserve.

Look, I'm gonna assume all this frustration is just spill over from the football board...whata ya say we just all kick back and watch some entertaining and successful basketball and relish the fact that it is being played in our colors and not worry about whether or not we're a "football" or "basketball" school.

Besides, everyone knows were a music school. :ph34r:

Ding ding ding ding!

Bingo.

North Texas plays at least an average schedule for it's level. The schedule is, of course, out of balance in that most of the good teams are road games instead of at home.

To remedy this, we need to draw more fans. Wichita State drew 10,228 for it's game with Newman. That is how they are able to schedule TCU and Tx Tech at home. The athletic department can only do so much. We, the fans, get the home schedule that we deserve.

Well said.

Interesting thought...perhaps it works the same way for football. If fans don't show...how can UNT get the Baylor's, the SMU's, the TCU's, etc., etc. to play in Denton? Might just work the same way as basketball...I wonder. It is really a shame that even basketball gets very little fan support. I wonder what the excuse is for that from the student body and the local citizenry?????

Well, to be fair the attendance for basketball has been slowly but surely getting better for the last 4 years or so. We took a slight dip last year, but that was without an Oklahoma State type of marquee game. We'll see how attendance is this year with arguably a weaker home schedule.