Dodge Mentioned

UNTflyer

4. Firing season is still on: Memphis and Western Kentucky opened coach firing season last week and it could continue this week with a few coaches that suffered untimely losses. UNLV coach Mike Sanford has been rumored to be on the chopping block for weeks and now that the Rebels are officially eliminated from bowl contention, those rumors could become reality. North Texas coach Todd Dodge, who early in the season looked like he might change his fortunes around, stumbled to another loss and is currently 2-8. And now Marshall coach Mark Snyder, who has actually made progress this season, could be out as well (though I'm not sure he deserves it) as his team is officially out of the C-USA East hunt.

You kept saying that 3 years ago, too.

I remember that. Many were saying there was no way DD would get fired. When my wife sent me the message she recieved and it was confirmed I posted for all of gmg to see and there was great jubilee.

People swore up and down that DD wouldn't get fired and thankfully RV pulled the trigger. Does he have the stuff to do that again?!

Assuming the new stadium is ready for the 2011 season, I would regretfully say Dodge gets another year. Then an untested new guy is brought in to build excitement and christen the new stadium.

I'm pretty comfortable this is the scenario. Dodge comes back next year and either gets this team turned in the right direction, giving us momentum going into the new stadium or gets fired and a new Coach with a name comes in building the anticipation and expectations back up.

It's really the best option for RV and puts him in almost a no-lose deal going into 2011.

I know I'm in the minority at this point, but this team is SOOOOOOOOO close, I want to see if Dodge can turn the corner. Dodge has proven that he's willing to adjust in the off-season, so lets hope this is the off season that makes it happen. ...but if he doesn't let the players start working each other over in practice, what we see now is as good as its going to get, IMHO.

I'm pretty comfortable this is the scenario. Dodge comes back next year and either gets this team turned in the right direction, giving us momentum going into the new stadium or gets fired and a new Coach with a name comes in building the anticipation and expectations back up.

It's really the best option for RV and puts him in almost a no-lose deal going into 2011.

I know I'm in the minority at this point, but this team is SOOOOOOOOO close, I want to see if Dodge can turn the corner. Dodge has proven that he's willing to adjust in the off-season, so lets hope this is the off season that makes it happen. ...but if he doesn't let the players start working each other over in practice, what we see now is as good as its going to get, IMHO.

I really believe that unless we actually get worse next year and have zero wins Dodge is back and will coach the last season of his contract in the new stadium.

I really believe that unless we actually get worse next year and have zero wins Dodge is back and will coach the last season of his contract in the new stadium.

No chance that this happens. He either signs an extension because we field a bowl team next year or he is fired with a year left on the contract. Its either or, IMO. Of course, I go back to the words of the SIDs office that told a local media member that next year's goal is to get to 4-5 wins and then year 5 is to go to a bowl game. I can only pray that this type of expectation has somehow changed in the last two weeks.

Had another mention like this locally, when Channel 5 Chris-Chris/sports anchor Matt Barrie was reading scores. It was something to the effect of "Looks like the failed Todd Dodge experiment is mercifully winding down at North Texas" after reading our score.

Harsh stuff, but I was kind of distracted by his sneer and frosted tips, so what do I know.

Hell, at this point I'm almost willing for us to make a deal with the mattress dude to pay off TD's contract in exchange for us bringing back his buddy for two years. :ph34r: Of course he would have to throw in a baseball program to boot. :)

Hell I would bring back DD, just to light a fire under the bums of the players. I think bringing back some four letter words and some in your chewing is what these guys need.

Hell I would bring back DD, just to light a fire under the bums of the players. I think bringing back some four letter words and some in your chewing is what these guys need.

Great--now we get a guy back who can win 3-4 games a year versus one who wins 1-2 per year. Way to go MFers!!

Neither of these two guys are worth celebrating as head coaches in my opinion. Corky Nelson would run laps around these two guys with the current level of support and interest in the program today.

You guys crack me up.....you call for DD's head after he has 2 losing seasons after going to 4 bowl games in a row.....then some of you are wanting him back after your fearless leader (RV) hires this high school coach who I'm sure wishes he was back at South Lake. DD wasn't the one that needed the axe it was his OC that needed gone. Yes DD was going through some health issues brought on by his drinking mainly, but Hell dealing with UNT alum and this board will drive any coach to drink. You could probably offer DD 10 million a year and he'd tell you where to go and how to get there. I'll tell you this though....if he had not been run off and had replaced Ramone with a better OC you would have been competing with the Sun Belch and probably going bowling again. You guys should always remember to be careful what you wish for because you just might get it (up the rear).

You guys crack me up.....you call for DD's head after he has 2 losing seasons after going to 4 bowl games in a row.....then some of you are wanting him back after your fearless leader (RV) hires this high school coach who I'm sure wishes he was back at South Lake. DD wasn't the one that needed the axe it was his OC that needed gone. Yes DD was going through some health issues brought on by his drinking mainly, but Hell dealing with UNT alum and this board will drive any coach to drink. You could probably offer DD 10 million a year and he'd tell you where to go and how to get there. I'll tell you this though....if he had not been run off and had replaced Ramone with a better OC you would have been competing with the Sun Belch and probably going bowling again. You guys should always remember to be careful what you wish for because you just might get it (up the rear).

Seems a little silly now doesn't it?

What makes you think Dickey would have stayed if Ramon Flanigan had been forced out?

He would have stayed becasue DD would have fired him, trust me on this one

The thing about the Flanagan situation is that he should have been fired after the incident with SilverEagle. From what I've been told, Dickey went to bat for him because he didn't want his guy to get fired.

This is the first I've ever heard about Dickey letting go of Flanagan at the end of the 2006 season. That would have changed the entire situation, in my view.

Let's put it in words we can all understand: RV- DD fire RF and we will re-new your contract and give you a little extra....DD- No problem he's history.....

Let's put it in words we can all understand: RV- DD fire RF and we will re-new your contract and give you a little extra....DD- No problem he's history.....

When would this have happened? How did we go from an extension to a firing in what had to have been less than 6-8 weeks?