Football: Second Half Adjustments Give Unt Defense Boost

mgsteve

I was very disappointed to read that Coach De Loach will be back in the press box for the La-Monroe game. I thought the turning point in the Western Kentucky game was when he came down to the sidelines and lit up the defense. He was LIVID and should have been. The defense played with much more intensity once he was down on the field with them. It is too bad that Coach Dodge cannot understand that.

I was very disappointed to read that Coach De Loach will be back in the press box for the La-Monroe game. I thought the turning point in the Western Kentucky game was when he came down to the sidelines and lit up the defense. He was LIVID and should have been. The defense played with much more intensity once he was down on the field with them. It is too bad that Coach Dodge cannot understand that.

I can see your points, but I also wonder if just the adjustments that were made at halftime didn't account for some of the improvements. So, if Jeremy Phillips was moved to outside linebacker after the half, where was he playing before?

I can see your points, but I also wonder if just the adjustments that were made at halftime didn't account for some of the improvements. So, if Jeremy Phillips was moved to outside linebacker after the half, where was he playing before?

Phillips came in for Hill who got injured. Also like others I think DeLoach being on the sideline in player's faces helped, of course maybe he was to mean for Dodge's taste and is banished back to the press box. Maybe the Alumni side can do a shout to move DeLoach back down.

Phillips came in for Hill who got injured. Also like others I think DeLoach being on the sideline in player's faces helped, of course maybe he was to mean for Dodge's taste and is banished back to the press box. Maybe the Alumni side can do a shout to move DeLoach back down.

Need someone to start it?........ :rolleyes: .......... B)

I too was very disappointed (make that disgusted) that Dodge would even think of having Deloach back in the box. <_<

Also, I never understood why they wanted to play Cantly (all 6'4" X 301) at DE? and Gilmore (at 6'5" X 269) at DT?!?!

I also read that Gilmore got his FIRST start at DE. What a risk... no one has considerred that until now? I dont get it.. this cant be that tough to figure out?

Also as a side note, the article mentioned we havent won two consecutive games since 2004. Really.... since 2004???

Thank you sir, may I have another...

GMG!!! <_<

If I was a coordinator I would probably want to be in the booth. It's hard to see anything from the playing field ... especially anything on the other side of the field. I remember coaching JV ball with all coaches on the field. I broke out a trips formation towards our side. After the play I heard their coaches yelling to their players "Were they in trips over there?" :) They didn't know and I was able to get about three plays off before they got things together. I think they may have burned a timeout. It was funny but it's a good example of how hard it can be to see things on other side of the field.

If I was head coach it would give my coordinators the option whether to be on the field or in the booth.

Also like others I think DeLoach being on the sideline in player's faces helped, of course maybe he was to mean for Dodge's taste and is banished back to the press box.

Why do you think Dodge "banished" DeLoach to the press box? A LOT of both offensive and defensive coordinators prefer to be in the press box where they can more clearly see what the other team is doing. That is the reason you often seen quarterbacks on headset while the OCs in the press box are explaining what a defense is doing.

Coordinators are almost universally situated in the press box where they can best see weaknesses on either side of the ball. This goes for both college and pro ball.

The reason DeLoach coming to the sideline lit such a fire under the D is because everyone knew why he had come down. If he needs to light a fire again, there is nothing stopping him from coming down. But hopefully his job can be primarily to coordinate the D and not to have to light fires under an underperforming D.

Coordinators are almost universally situated in the press box where they can best see weaknesses on either side of the ball. This goes for both college and pro ball.

The reason DeLoach coming to the sideline lit such a fire under the D is because everyone knew why he had come down. If he needs to light a fire again, there is nothing stopping him from coming down. But hopefully his job can be primarily to coordinate the D and not to have to light fires under an underperforming D.

Offensive coordinators prefer to be in the box, but defensive coordinators tend to favor the sidelines. That is especially true in the pros.

Has anyone thought to ask Coach Dodge about this at his weekly Radio Show at the Pourhouse? Unfortunately, I still have to work for a living and am not in Denton, so the show is out for me, but I know some GMG.com folks go...anyone think to ask why DeLoach is in the press box?????

Just wondering...I know it's easier to ask on the board when you are not face to face with Coach Dodge, but would anyone want to ask? It is not a "bad" or "challenging" question if you don't use a judgemental tone when asking the question. And, to me it is a very legit question to ask. Just wondering...

GO MEAN GREEN.

PS...I am also disappointed to hear that Coach DeLoach will be back in the press box for the UL-Monroe game.

I have no agenda - just posting thoughts about why use the press box I think are interesting.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/04...iants_defe.html

On why he'll be up in the box on game days and not on the sideline: "If you plan correctly during the week then you're just changing your calls on the different downs and distances and the different personnel groupings that you have. So I think up in the box you have a little calmer atmosphere. You're not down on the sidelines where there can be a lot of mayhem down there. ... It's like an office atmosphere. You're sitting up there, you have your charts and you can chart your own calls and the opponent. And you have a chance to look ... where if you are standing on the sideline, whatever you can't hold in your hand, you can't really refer to. I've always thought it would be a much better situation."
http://obsfifty.blogspot.com/2008/08/unc-o...turning-to.html

New defensive coordinator Everett Withers will also work from the coaches’ box (which is adjacent to the press box), head coach Butch Davis said. Last year’s defensive coordinator, Chuck Pagano, worked from the sideline for the same reason as Shoop — to communicate new defensive schemes better with the young players. But there are advantages of being up rather than down.

“All of the places I had ever coached before, the coordinators were in the box,’’ Davis said. “It not only gives them the chance to see the field better, see personnel groupings. It cuts down one extra communication to someone in the box to someone on the sidelines to identify what the other team’s personnel, what they’re getting into. …It’s a little bit more of a quiet environment to collect your thoughts, you’re not quite in all the chaos.”

Indeed, while Yates said communicating via graduate assistant and headsets will be a personal adjustment, he knows Shoop’s move will help the offense make better adjustments, overall.

“There’s definitely some things on film where he was mad that he wasn’t up in the box [last season],’’ Yates said. “We could have taken advantage of some coverages and some flaws in the defense that he saw in the film room on Sunday, which is never a good feeling. So he wanted to be up there.”

http://insidetexas.com/news/story.php?article=1550

That level of anticipation is, understandably, a great asset given Muschamp's propensity to adjust on the fly. Whereas former coordinator Gene Chizik preferred to stick with his game plan -- observing from the coach's box -- before making changes at halftime, Muschamp makes adjustments between series. Sometimes he doesn't even wait that long. Muschamp adjusted his scheme against Oklahoma before the Sooners finished their second series.

"Two of our base-coverage concepts we had to completely change on the sideline based on what they were doing," Muschamp noted, before adding, "They gave us a lot of different formation looks. There were some different plays but, more than anything, there were different concepts from different formations. We didn't recognize the first one. We should have pushed the coverage out further to leverage the formation better. More than anything, it was a better recognition of the formations and getting (the defense) on the sideline to calm them down in that environment. You tell them that this is the same stuff we've repped; they're just doing it from a different set."

From the article:

“Gary was so frustrated that he decided to come down before halftime,” Dodge said. “We will discuss if he will come down again. He will be back in the box for this game.”

Hmm. Doesn't sound like you'll discuss it at all. Sounds like he'll be in the box.

Not enough room on the sideline for more than one ego, Todd? Or, was the wide receivers coach offended by some of the language the more experienced and well-qualified coach used in the heat of battle? Probably a little of both.

Amateur to the end. And, sickening to boot.

From the article:

“Gary was so frustrated that he decided to come down before halftime,” Dodge said. “We will discuss if he will come down again. He will be back in the box for this game.”

Hmm. Doesn't sound like you'll discuss it at all. Sounds like he'll be in the box.

Not enough room on the sideline for more than one ego, Todd? Or, was the wide receivers coach offended by some of the language the more experienced and well-qualified coach used in the heat of battle? Probably a little of both.

Amateur? Come on TFLF, Deloach's side of the ball has been having their ass handed to them for the past few weeks, but the offense has been producing. Still standing on that "more experienced and well-qualified" soapbox after the points our offense has put up the last few games rings hollow at this point. Like it or not, Dodge is the head coach and gets to decide how to run his program.

The articles Quoner posted show the benefits of being in the pressbox and on the field, so I don't guess it really matters. I have a feeling that Deloach will come back down if needed.

Is this Dodge's decision or Deloach's? Do we know for sure that Dodge is the one who wants Deloach in the press box? How do we know that this is not Deloach's preference?

Until someone sucks it up and has the stones to ask this during the Monday lunch hour, we don't know who wants what when it comes to sideline or press box.

I doubt this has anything to do with the defenses performance, anyway. It's not like we shut down WKU in the 3rd quarter.

Has anyone thought to ask Coach Dodge about this at his weekly Radio Show at the Pourhouse? Unfortunately, I still have to work for a living and am not in Denton, so the show is out for me, but I know some GMG.com folks go...anyone think to ask why DeLoach is in the press box?????

Just wondering...I know it's easier to ask on the board when you are not face to face with Coach Dodge, but would anyone want to ask? It is not a "bad" or "challenging" question if you don't use a judgemental tone when asking the question. And, to me it is a very legit question to ask. Just wondering...

GO MEAN GREEN.

PS...I am also disappointed to hear that Coach DeLoach will be back in the press box for the UL-Monroe game.

Just emailed the Marketing Relations with meangreensports and they said we can email any question we might have to

steven.bartolotta@unt.edu

prior to the show and they'll try to work them in...I suggested they add a call in/email in/text in question and answer section...

fwiw..

From the article:

I really hope this is a joke. Dodge's ego wants to win, and if he honestly thought we had a better chance of winning with DeLoach on the sideline, DeLoach would be on the sideline.

It is beyond my scope of imagination that some folks would actually believe that Coach Dodge would do things that HE believes would be a detriment to the program. You simply have got to be NUTS or so biased in your view as to be loony to think anyone would purposefully hurt their own ability to be successful due to ego or anything else for that matter.

That's the thinking..."OK, I know we would have a much better defense if Coach DeLoach were on the sidelines, but the guy has too big an ego and it would be better if the defense played poorly than to have Coach DeLoach on the same sideline with me! That way, my offense will look so much better than his defense and I can get rid of the guy after the season and blame all the losses on his bad defense!" Now...seeing that...what part of it makes any sense to a sane rational thinking person. Good grief, some of you folks just need to stop letting you bias get in the way of solid thinking. Amazing...and, did you really graduate from UNT????? With that level of rational thinking??? You are kidding, right?

It is beyond my scope of imagination that some folks would actually believe that Coach Dodge would do things that HE believes would be a detriment to the program. You simply have got to be NUTS or so biased in your view as to be loony to think anyone would purposefully hurt their own ability to be successful due to ego or anything else for that matter.

Quite true, but logic and reasoning don't always factor into opinions about coaches!