Riley

SouthBendGreen

Hello All,

So I've watched every North Texas game this season and read this board regularly. Granted I don't post like I used to but I still love to read the board. Regardless, during the season I've been blown away by the topics regarding Riley. Guys on this board that I really respect and respect their knowledge of the game and can't understand the opinions of Riley overall. Whether it's knee jerking, frustration, anger or just plain being wrong I don't understand the quick rush to judgement on him.

I've bit my tongue, or maybe it's bit my keyboard over the weeks and not responded to any topic about Riley, but today's game forced me to have to start this topic. Today we saw what this kid can do for our program over the next few years. There have been definite criticisms of him that are fair and I will always be concerned about his ability to stay healthy. However a game like today should show everyone here what he can mature into in 4 years at NT.

Let's start out with his intelligence. On a play in the first half he scrambled and stuck the ball out while going out of bounds to gain an extra yard for the first down. In the 2nd half it was a designed QB draw and WK blew it up, he scrambled and very smartly DID NOT throw the ball because lineman were down field. I watched on ESPN360 and the commentators questioned why he didn't throw the ball to a wide open receiver and it's because he knew a flag would be thrown. EXTREMELY intelligent play. Those are things that you can't teach and he will continue to grow. The dumb mistakes he has made will continue to diminish over the years because of his football IQ. I love that about him.

Next his mobility. Forget about it. Numerous times he should have been sacked for a big loss but made just enough to elude the defense. I know the offensive line has been good but there is a reason NT has only given up 5 sacks or whatever it is. His mobility is going to leave us with numerous plays over the next four years that leave us scratching our head wondering how he made that play. Let me preface this by saying he is NOT like Tony Romo. But he elusive and will make play similar to the crazy play Romo made against the Falcons that resulted in the TD to Patrick Crayton.

Accuracy. That will improve but a glimpse was on display for that TD pass to Jamel in the end zone. It was perfectly placed amongst like 3 WK defenders and the sideline. That will only get better. Yes I think Nathan throws a better deep ball now, but I think Riley will only improve.

I think durability will plague him for four years but as he matures I can almost guarantee that will see more games from Riley like the one today than previous ones this season.

In the midst of the frustrating season we are enduring I hope people can see the signs of what is to come. I believe this program is going in the right direction. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I do believe that.

Not sure what's up with the defense and that scares me but between Riley, Lance and those guys on offense they are forming a great system. The offense has a great foundation, TD now needs to get to work ASAP on the defense.

I will say that every time Riley gets hit I get a little nervous and I hope he bulks up a little, but I am behind him and TD.

Thanks for enduring my whipping of a long post, but I really wanted to get that off my chest.

Patrick

Hello All,

So I've watched every North Texas game this season and read this board regularly. Granted I don't post like I used to but I still love to read the board. Regardless, during the season I've been blown away by the topics regarding Riley. Guys on this board that I really respect and respect their knowledge of the game and can't understand the opinions of Riley overall. Whether it's knee jerking, frustration, anger or just plain being wrong I don't understand the quick rush to judgement on him.

I've bit my tongue, or maybe it's bit my keyboard over the weeks and not responded to any topic about Riley, but today's game forced me to have to start this topic. Today we saw what this kid can do for our program over the next few years. There have been definite criticisms of him that are fair and I will always be concerned about his ability to stay healthy. However a game like today should show everyone here what he can mature into in 4 years at NT.

Let's start out with his intelligence. On a play in the first half he scrambled and stuck the ball out while going out of bounds to gain an extra yard for the first down. In the 2nd half it was a designed QB draw and WK blew it up, he scrambled and very smartly DID NOT throw the ball because lineman were down field. I watched on ESPN360 and the commentators questioned why he didn't throw the ball to a wide open receiver and it's because he knew a flag would be thrown. EXTREMELY intelligent play. Those are things that you can't teach and he will continue to grow. The dumb mistakes he has made will continue to diminish over the years because of his football IQ. I love that about him.

Next his mobility. Forget about it. Numerous times he should have been sacked for a big loss but made just enough to elude the defense. I know the offensive line has been good but there is a reason NT has only given up 5 sacks or whatever it is. His mobility is going to leave us with numerous plays over the next four years that leave us scratching our head wondering how he made that play. Let me preface this by saying he is NOT like Tony Romo. But he elusive and will make play similar to the crazy play Romo made against the Falcons that resulted in the TD to Patrick Crayton.

Accuracy. That will improve but a glimpse was on display for that TD pass to Jamel in the end zone. It was perfectly placed amongst like 3 WK defenders and the sideline. That will only get better. Yes I think Nathan throws a better deep ball now, but I think Riley will only improve.

I think durability will plague him for four years but as he matures I can almost guarantee that will see more games from Riley like the one today than previous ones this season.

In the midst of the frustrating season we are enduring I hope people can see the signs of what is to come. I believe this program is going in the right direction. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I do believe that.

Not sure what's up with the defense and that scares me but between Riley, Lance and those guys on offense they are forming a great system. The offense has a great foundation, TD now needs to get to work ASAP on the defense.

I will say that every time Riley gets hit I get a little nervous and I hope he bulks up a little, but I am behind him and TD.

Thanks for enduring my whipping of a long post, but I really wanted to get that off my chest.

Patrick

Good post Patrick and right on the money. I believe he is already making steps to make the right play by

sliding in some situations and running out of bounds at others. He will be a good leader and I believe the

injuries will become fewer. This will happen because of better recognition and maturity on his part.

GMG

It's obvious he's a good quarterback, even as a redshirt freshman. At least it's obvious to those who don't refuse to see it. There will be a lot of poor mouthing this game from some on this board, but what's obvious is that there needs to be a continued influx of good recruits in the trenches in order to improve the defense, and solidify depth on the OL. Great game all around, and Riley played fantastic.

The dilemma that T. Dodge faces is that we are a supremely better offense with R. Dodge running the ball... when Riley runs/scrambles it really opens up the office and he has top notch speed.... the problem is that it is difficult to run QB on a consistent basis in D-1 without injuries creeping in, which they already have... it is a true dilemma... run Riley and win versus run Riley and risk injury.

Riley did have a good game, but we were playing against the worst team in the FBS. Im not going to be sold on him until he leads us to victories against worthy teams.

And of course, in the eyes to the Dodge haters, no opponent who we beat will ever be "worthy." There was play after play that none of our other quarterbacks could have made. These were visible to all in the stands and even sportscasters watching in Indiana on the Internet via ESPN 360. But to the haters, nothing can ever be good.

And of course, in the eyes to the Dodge haters, no opponent who we beat will ever be "worthy." There was play after play that none of our other quarterbacks could have made. These were visible to all in the stands and even sportscasters watching in Indiana on the Internet via ESPN 360. But to the haters, nothing can ever be good.

Western Kentucky is the worst team in the nation, I will support him more once he has actually done something.

I think that's an unfair characterization. The fact is, WK doesn't exactly have a killer defense. Not to diminish what Riley did (because he made better decisions today and didn't have any turnovers), but he's also going to have to prove himself against better competition. Given his performance in other games this season against better opponents, we can see that he is still a very young player who makes a lot of mistakes. Maybe the light bulb is finally clicking on in there and he's starting to make better decisions, but all this game did was give us a glimpse of what his raw talent can be. While I think that's commendable and gives me a glimmer of hope for the rest of the season and for the years to come, I also don't think it's being unduly negative to still have reservations regarding Riley's future impact.

I'm sorry but Riley can only do so much on offense and he can't do a darn thing on defense. I don't know the true % but I would have to say that 95% of the time when a team scores 49 pts they win the game. If WK had won yesterday, Riley would have still had his good stats just wouldn't have had the W. There a lot of areas this team needs improvement on; special teams is still killing us, pass defense, rush defense, etc. This TEAM needs to lead us victories over worthy teams, Riley can't do it alone.

The win's great, but it doesn't change the fact that Western Kentucky is a lousy football team that has the nation's longest losing streak in the Football Bowl Subdivision (16 games) and has only beaten one FBS team in its entire history (Middle Tennessee in 2007). So this may be the least worthy team to beat in the entire subdivision.

It doesn't matter if we win or not someone has to find something negative to say. Be happy we won. Yes, we should or could have won

more games this year, but remember -1 in double overtime, -2 in the last minute, and -4 in the last few minutes, and we could be 5-3

now instead of 2-6. You have to start somewhere, and hopefully we are learning. I still believe we will win at least two more if not three

this year. Keep the faith, and GO MEAN GREEN. I really believe DeLoach will turn the defense around by next year. I remember when

we had a good defense, we would bend and let a team get down to our 10-20 but not score, or have to kick a field goal. I think it is coming,

but we just have to give it time.

BIG D

I think it's pretty obvious that some folks will just find something negative to say about Riley or TD no matter what happens. Too bad...but, some folks are just that way. UNT with Riley at QB could beat UT and the same folks would find something negative to say....OK, just come to the games...oh, I forgot ... many of these folks NEVER come to the games.... for those that do, I hope you found the weather nice, at least!

Go Mean Green! Nice win...nice job, Riley...nice to know that Riley will only get better and better as a DI QB.