North... Texas... Chant

eppy4life

I do enjoy the North... Texas... chant maybe twice a game at appropriate times. It's very cool when it's loud and everyone's participating.

But wouldn't everyone agree that it loses it's luster when it's done too many times and not everyone's into it?

I thought Saturday the cheer leaders did a great job of only leading that cheer once and trying to make it most effective. But I couldn't understand why some small groups of people would yell "NORTH" and then another small group would yell "TEXAS," being only one row away from them. That sounds to me like lame Archie Griffin at a Heisman Trophy presentation yelling at Bradford until he responded with "SOONER."

this has been discussed at length on this board. the "search" feature works wonders!

i did, however, notice a change saturday. it seemed that on a couple occasions the cheerleaders would race to pick up their signs in response to the cheer having been started in the stands. i would say our cheerleaders were great on saturday and being actively involved in the GAME, not actively involved in cheering for the sake of cheering. maybe i'll post a "letter to the cheerleaders" if eppy doesn't take offense to it.

The chant sounded amazing at Ball State. The student side would yell "Ball" and the alumni side would yell "State." No telling how many times they did it during the course of the game, but it was loud and the stadium absolutely rocked when they did it.

The biggest problem at UNT seems to be getting the alumni side to say anything at all. The student side would yell North! and then from the alumni...... crickets. It usually takes about 2 or 3 "North's" before the alumni get into it.

The biggest problem at UNT seems to be getting the alumni side to say anything at all. The student side would yell North! and then from the alumni...... crickets. It usually takes about 2 or 3 "North's" before the alumni get into it.

And Emmitt and company thought the same thing as they attempted to get it started from the alumni side. Just another REASON why I have advocated for years for a pre-signalled, unified chant that is quick, easy and over with within seconds. I've seen it at Houston, Memphis, A&M, tU, OU, LSU, K State and on and on and on. Why we can't do one I have no idea?

Rick

And Emmitt and company thought the same thing as they attempted to get it started from the alumni side. Just another REASON why I have advocated for years for a pre-signalled, unified chant that is quick, easy and over with within seconds. I've seen it at Houston, Memphis, A&M, tU, OU, LSU, K State and on and on and on. Why we can't do one I have no idea?

Rick

Works fine at Arkansas when I go to a game up there and we can do it 10 times a game and I would never tire of it. Love it there, love it here.

Works fine at Arkansas when I go to a game up there and we can do it 10 times a game and I would never tire of it. Love it there, love it here.

I've spoken to every person in charge of every aspect of our college game day experience(RV, Dr. Battaile, Jennifer Cluitier(sp), Band Director, Cheerleaders, Talons) and the on campus NT Spirit committe in the spring of '08, even going so far as to pointing it out to some of these folks while the opposing schools perform theirs. Everyone seems quite content on there either being zero presence of any unifying chant during road games at all, or as we currently have it at home, a random conglomerate of slow growing moaning-to-chant-to-moaning that never seems to know when to begin or end?

It's pathetic actually, but I and many others have tried to no avail.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

The "Texas" cheerleaders need to give the "alumni" side a bit of warning. Sometimes, people are actually watching the game and don't notice when the "student" side does something. If the Alumni side cheerleaders were to say something like, "OK We're going to do the North Texas chant." Give the signal to the student side and off we'd go.

Rick is right. It needs to have a specific end. Such as "Mean Green" and from the other side "Fight, fight, fight" or similar.

And speaking of cheerleaders, I find the throwing of little balls and t-shirts to be a distraction. Do it before the game or before the teams come back on the field after halftime.

I'm trying to watch the game and people are risking life and limb to catch a 50cent ball or $2 t-shirt.

I've spoken to every person in charge of every aspect of our college game day experience(RV, Dr. Battaile, Jennifer Cluitier(sp), Band Director, Cheerleaders, Talons) and the on campus NT Spirit committe in the spring of '08, even going so far as to pointing it out to some of these folks while the opposing schools perform theirs. Everyone seems quite content on there either being zero presence of any unifying chant during road games at all, or as we currently have it at home, a random conglomerate of slow growing moaning-to-chant-to-moaning that never seems to know when to begin or end?

It's pathetic actually, but I and many others have tried to no avail.

Rick

Make sure I am reading this correctly - those claim that they have not heard of any unifying chant at any of the road games they have been to? The only thing that MIGHT explain this, would be that they pretty much are in the press boxes and should be entertaining alumni on the road, so they probably pay little attention to what is actually going on with the crowd itself. That being said, you would pretty much have to either be deaf or not paying any attention at all to sit in Razorback stadium and never hear the Hog call.

Well, next week I'll say "North" and I'll have the guy next to me say "Texas." We'll do that the whole game and see if it works.

Here's a better idea. find yourself having lunch with an unsuspecting buddy during the 'bama game saturday and seemingly out of nowhere yell "NORTH!" to see if he responds appropriately. you may need to do it a couple times in succession before he realizes what you've started and then the two of you can return the verbal volley until you annoy every other patron in the establishment.

don't worry, if you have a few choice words or R-rated hand gestures thrown your directions, that's just our students cheering right along with you.

Rick

I'll let you answer your own question, Rick:

foutsseatdistance.jpg

... 33 1/2 yards away from the nearest point of the playing surface...

double that... 67 yards in addition to the width of the field!

The new stadium will make a huge difference - for cheering, and for the Green Brigade. For those who were on the alumni side - wasn't it great to have the Green Brigade playing in front of you, not 33 1/2 yards away? OK, so they didn't march in the rain...

Edited by Stix

I do enjoy the North... Texas... chant maybe twice a game at appropriate times. It's very cool when it's loud and everyone's participating.

But wouldn't everyone agree that it loses it's luster when it's done too many times and not everyone's into it?

I thought Saturday the cheer leaders did a great job of only leading that cheer once and trying to make it most effective. But I couldn't understand why some small groups of people would yell "NORTH" and then another small group would yell "TEXAS," being only one row away from them. That sounds to me like lame Archie Griffin at a Heisman Trophy presentation yelling at Bradford until he responded with "SOONER."

Not this topic again...I did hear someone in the stands mess up the song "go green......go white....", not sure how you mess this up but hey.

I'll let you answer your own question, Rick:

double that... 67 yards in addition to the width of the field!

The new stadium will make a huge difference - for cheering, and for the Green Brigade. For those who were on the alumni side - wasn't it great to have the Green Brigade playing in front of you, not 33 1/2 yards away? OK, so they didn't march in the rain...

If your referencing the distance between the stands and the field at Fouts being the reason we can't do a unified chant I'm not buying it. That's just part of the events for North Texas. What I'm talking about can be used throughout the year in the Super Pit as well as while visiting opponents facilities.

For me one of the best versions was the one at Kansas State and how they utilized their Wildcat mascot. With the way they do it he could lead their cheer in the middle of the desert and it would still work.

Rick