Another Departure

NT03

Does this mean he will be playing against us in the Army game this year? Better make sure and get his playbook before he leaves!

CODE RED CODE RED

Negative. I don't think he's joining the Army to play football , plus he still has to go thru basic training among other things first.

Even if he gives his playbook to Army it will be called even to the Armed Services since we got Navy's DEF playbook from Garden a few years ago. It really helped , I mean we kicked their butt and scored a ton of points !!! It's just too bad we didn't get their Offensive playbook too , that could of really came in handy.

Edited by NT03

I agree .......If a young man wants to go where his heart and mind is leading him to serve....I wish him the best.

Can someone help answer is this ?

Since he is leaving on his own can we not give his "Scholy" to one of our dedicated Walk Ons ( Deheck or Baine) to help with the APR hit ?

It's only a APR hit if he is leaving with he is behind on the academic side which I don't think is the case. If he leaves, UNT can reassign his scholly. I for one wish this young man luck, my gratitude, and God Speed for stepping up and serving this great country in spite of everything going on around the world. This young man has way more class than many of the youngsters hanging out at college campuses around the country! The flag I fly everyday is for you sir!

It's only a APR hit if he is leaving with he is behind on the academic side which I don't think is the case. If he leaves, UNT can reassign his scholly. I for one wish this young man luck, my gratitude, and God Speed for stepping up and serving this great country in spite of everything going on around the world. This young man has way more class than many of the youngsters hanging out at college campuses around the country! The flag I fly everyday is for you sir!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's a one-point APR hit for an athlete who leaves UNT in good academic standing, two points if he is not.

I believe it is an APR hit if he does not transfer to another college. It is two APR hits if he is not in good academic standing.

I believe it is an APR hit if he does not transfer to another college. It is two APR hits if he is not in good academic standing.

You guys are too nice, but if he has a change of heart with the Army they won't be so understanding, they tend to want commitments kept.

If he leaves the school in good standing, it's a one point (out of two) hit. If he leaves academically ineligible, it's a full two point hit.

Doesn't matter if we reassign the scholarship, or if he has passing grades... If he was one of our scholarship players and he leaves school, we lose at least one point.

I said it before, and I'll say it again:

The real concern (in my mind) is the second part of the penalty: The North Texas football team can only give out 19 new scholarships next year.

The reason that’s so scary? We’re only allowed to add 19 scholarship players in the 2009-10 class, but we have 17 seniors, and they should all be on scholarship. The only possible exception is Kevin Dickerson, and even if he doesn’t have a ship on him already, he’ll likely get ineligible 2009 recruit Chevy Bennett’s scholarship or one from a non-returning 2008 player.

That gives us a two scholarship buffer. If more than two guys on scholarship quit the team, flunk out of school, get injured and can’t play anymore, or get kicked off for rules violations… The 19 scholarship limit creates a de facto overall scholarship cap even lower than the official penalty. And since we already failed to meet a granted waiver, it’s probably unlikely we’d get any leniency on the issue.

How likely is it that at least two non-Seniors will quit or be forced to quit due to injury before next year’s APR report comes out?

Given our recent history of player retention, I’d say it’s pretty damn likely.

That was written over three months ago.

Since then, we've lost Barrett and dismissed Sykes. I may be forgetting someone else (not Charlie Brown, he's one of the 17 seniors, and not Mayberry or Stewart, since their ineligibility happened before starting school, so they won't hurt our APR and their 2009 scholarships could go to the late addition d-linemen). Also, remember that Ryan Boutwell is grayshirting, so he'll be a member of the 2010 class and he'll count as one of those 19 maximum scholarships.

This 19 scholarship limit could turn (is turning?) into a very serious problem.

I'll take him at his word. Seems there is a family tradition with the military. And, yes, you have to be a West Point cadet to play football for Army. That had to be a joke question, right? I wish the young man nothing but the best. God speed and make the Mean Green proud.

From this morning's practice blog:

9:28 Steven B:

Barrett left school in good standing and just because you leave, that doesn't mean it's an automatic -1 point.....There are about a 100 different waivers that you can get from the NCAA and joining the Army I'm gonna say can qualify as a waiver.

Rich Young comes to mind as he received a waiver, not for his military service, but for his personal situation. So keep that in mind before doing the APR math, it's not that simple.