Senate To Hold Hearings On Bcs

DeepGreen

My real beef is how the money is split- you know, 90% to the BCS and only 10% to the non-BCS. In Sicilian, the non-BCS gets "cotzi", meaning sh!t.

So what you're saying is that the teams in the BCS conferences, who have worked hard to get where they are, and make money that they therefore deserve, should share a bigger portion with those schools that have been too small, lazy or stupid to get to the top on their own? Are you asking for a redistribution of collegiate athletic wealth?

So what you're saying is that the teams in the BCS conferences, who have worked hard to get where they are, and make money that they therefore deserve, should share a bigger portion with those schools that have been too small, lazy or stupid to get to the top on their own? Are you asking for a redistribution of collegiate athletic wealth?

Yes. Yes! That would be change we can all believe in. Let's do it.

Wonder how far this will go? My real beef is how the money is split- you know, 90% to the BCS and only 10% to the non-BCS. In Sicilian, the non-BCS gets "cotzi", meaning sh!t.

BCS Hearings

My real beef is that this country has a lot more problems going on right now than the BCS mess. I don't know, maybe the senate could be devoting more time on the economy , health care , unemployment , SS , etc.

Edited by NT03

My real beef is that this country has a lot more problems going on right now than the BCS mess. I don't know, maybe the senate could be devoting more time on the economy , health care , unemployment , SS , etc.

I'd rather the senate work on college football and stay out of the private sector. If they spend their time fixing college football, maybe they won't have time to buy car more companies, or hand out more money for corporate bonuses, or basically just waste more of our money. I honestly think this economic downturn would be getting better by now, if these guys in Washington would just put the old regulations back in place and let the private sector do its thing.

I've already called John Cornyn's office to tell him I feel the BCS does violates the spirit of the anti-trust laws. His office number is 202-224-2934, for anyone who wishes to call.

Edited by Side Show Joe

Revenue gained thru exclusion or discrimination is always subject to redistribution.

The Big Six conferences have conspired to divert revenue to their conferences and keep them from the "other" conferences. Establish a playoff and a "salary cap" in college football and see how fast parity comes to all.

The Big Six conferences have conspired to divert revenue to their conferences and keep them from the "other" conferences. Establish a playoff and a "salary cap" in college football and see how fast parity comes to all.

Explain your salary cap idea. Not sure what you're referring to.

Anyhoo, one of the reasons that I so dearly love college baseball is its true across the board parity. You've got your Cal St. Fullertons, Fresno States, Wichita States, UNO, Southern Miss, ULL, UC Irvine, etc. making it to and winning the College World Series. The Big XII and the SEC absolutely dominate in facilities and attendance, but they don't necessarily win out every year. The funny thing is that you hear guys like Augie Garrido complaining about the limit of 11.7 scholarships and how it prevents him from stacking his roster.

Maybe the answer is to drop schollies down to, say, 40 in football. That would bring some parity real quick, BCS or no BCS.

I agree to a point but there are a lot of schools in the BCS that were lucky, in the right place and during the right time. Every year, some of the better non BCS schools could and do stomp a new a-hole in the not so good BCS schools. Remember the 52-14 Bayloring?

The problem with this argument is that you assume that because you are BCS you work hard and because you aren't BCS you don't and are lazy.

Especially in the college world, many colleges get a piece of the BCS pie because of opportunity that wasn't inheritly theirs but still were awarded alot. I look at Baylor and think of that kind of thing. Politics doesn't necessarily mean they deserved it more.

Explain your salary cap idea. Not sure what you're referring to.

Set a limit on what programs can spend. UNT has a budget of 3.5 million.

Texas has a football budget in excess of $14 million. Ohio State is over $25 million. How can the small schools compete?

The problem with this argument is that you assume that because you are BCS you work hard and because you aren't BCS you don't and are lazy.

Especially in the college world, many colleges get a piece of the BCS pie because of opportunity that wasn't inheritly theirs but still were awarded alot. I look at Baylor and think of that kind of thing. Politics doesn't necessarily mean they deserved it more.

Have you ever been to Waco to see the Baylor campus? I'm guessing not. They have some of the best facilities in the state. Baylor was the most consistently good program of all the old SWC private schools. I can't say that they've just been lazy and have gotten everything they have just from sheer dumb luck.

Have you ever been to Waco to see the Baylor campus? I'm guessing not. They have some of the best facilities in the state. Baylor was the most consistently good program of all the old SWC private schools. I can't say that they've just been lazy and have gotten everything they have just from sheer dumb luck.

I have been to Waco... They do have better facilities because of the money they recieve.

And how did Baylor get into the SWC? Should they have? They got there because of politics in which they had solid rep from an influential person who wouldn't have it any other way.

UNT missed out, not necessarily because of lack of merit (we were pretty good in the 70's), because of politics.

How hard did Baylor really work to get where they are? Most of the teams are where they are because they have political officials in the right place at the right time.

I think that there are many teams in the non-bcs, i.e. boise and tcu, that deserve a larger piece of the pie.

It's like a lawyer that didn't graduate in the top of his class complaining that all the guys in the top firms have all the good clients and have a better salary...

It's more like the "haves" and the "have-nots". We "have" a place in 1-A that some schools below us in 1-AA crave, but likewise we wish to be further up the food chain in a better conference eventually. The Smuts of the world "had" a place at the adult table until conferences re-organized and kicked them down to the kid's table. It usually comes down to a combination of facilities and location but political clout is very important too in some cases (Baylor).

Edited by NT80

---No, but being a member of the Big-XII assures them of huge crowds (and lots of revenue) when they play another Big XII team especially nearby UT, A&M, TxTech, and OU.. They don't have to work hard to get that money or to fill their stands---(we do)-- they don't even have to field teams that win much.. Part of the reason that SWC split was that those large state schools were tired of filling SMU, Rice, etc. stadiums for them. As you can tell, SMU as a non UT conference member generally has awful attendance. If we played UT and the Big-XII teams at home, our stadium (and basketball coliseum) would regularly be filled as well without any more effort from us.

---The dumb luck part in Baylor's case was that when the SWC broke up, they were slightly better than TCU... and did not having the cheating backgroud of SMU. It did not hurt any that the Governor at the time ( Ann Richards ) was a Baylor Grad (also dumb luck).

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

It is. The same as Northwestern of the Big 10, Vanderbilt of the SEC, BYU in the MWC, Boston College in the Big East, and to an extent even USC in the PAC 10.

Boston College is in the ACC now.

The BE has quite a few private schools. Most don't play football, but the vast majority have strong basketball tradition.

Syracuse(football)

DePaul

Georgetown

Marquette

Notre Dame

Providence

St. Johns

Seton Hall

Villanova

It's like a lawyer that didn't graduate in the top of his class complaining that all the guys in the top firms have all the good clients and have a better salary...

No it's not RusselCircle; that's silly. Just because the imaginary lawyers are in the top firms does not mean that they graduated in the top of their class either. POLITICS. If your relative/fellow alumn/political friends owns a firm and you barely pass the bar after 3 tries, guess what...you are still in. Hell, they will make you partner if you keep your nose clean or have good blow. It's not about getting what you earn, it's about leveling the playing field some.

No it's not RusselCircle; that's silly. Just because the imaginary lawyers are in the top firms does not mean that they graduated in the top of their class either. POLITICS. If your relative/fellow alumn/political friends owns a firm and you barely pass the bar after 3 tries, guess what...you are still in. Hell, they will make you partner if you keep your nose clean or have good blow. It's not about getting what you earn, it's about leveling the playing field some.

I was about to say the same thing. The world doesn't work that way.

The most deserved do not always get what they deserve.

UT got out of the SWC because they felt that they were carrying the conference and that they could attract better TV contracts and make more gate $$ by playing fewer lightweight schools. They moved to the B12 and are doing better financially. The UT's believes that the big schools are the main attraction and why split with the opening act? The Ohio States , Floridas of the world believe that THEY carry the water and therefore THEY can make the rules that they want to benefit themselves and they deserve the profits. Where ever you draw the line there will be schools just under the wire who will complain.

BU got in to the B12 because they were the best option at the time. The B8 wanted to grow to 12 and needed 4 from the SWC. UT,A&M,Tech and who else from the SWC? UH? poor attendance/ weak teams at the time. Rice , TCU or SMU? Those were the deadweight schools that UT wanted to get away from...