You Know What Will Hurt Us...

NCMeanGreen

I've only missed 2 home games since I have been at NT and the first year I was here, there were games when it seemed like the student section had less than 5 people..

We have come light years from there.. If we can ever string together a decent win streak and gain a little national attention, there is no doubt that we could fill up the pit easily..

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always amused at how you continue to point out this glaring fact...and people continue to be silent in response because they just don't have a decent excuse.

It's not a glaring fact, it's a pointless complaint, and here's my annual response to it.

What would basketball season be if we didn't at least see one "e-bone" complaint before Christmas about the football supportive "die-hards" who plan for the 5 home football games but then fail to attend all 15 home basketball games, but without fail also ignores the some 6,000 STUDENTS who live ON CAMPUS, and the several thousand just off campus who are part of the 11,000 who live within the city and county who are not consistently at the basketball games either.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Of the DI basketball stadiums that I have been to the Super Pit is up there with the best.

UTA-I never want to go back!!!

Houston- sucked. thought i was at a circus tent.

Rice- you can mistake it for a poor highschool gym!

SMU & TCU- EWWW!!!

UTSA and Texas State have DII revenues.

Texas is ok but I would expext more from them.

OSU was nice. We got a tour when we went this year and it was great, but they put in millions of dollars a couple of years ago to make it what it is now.

UNT-I Love it. If anyone has been on the floor with 4,000+ screaming in a tight game you know how loud it gets. In the crowd you can not tell how loud everyone else gets because the sound travels to the court and not around the stadium.

My big complaint is with a great RTVF program like ours why is our production equipment so crapy? The sound system at the pit just plain sucks! The two jumbotrons.....or minitrons are old and out of date. And the cameras and replay feed is unwatchable.

As far as people coming to watch I think there is only two reasons people watch basketball. Either you like solid basketball the way it is supposed to be played which breeds winners, Gonzaga or Duke. Or people want to see high scoring, fast paced, dunking in your face action, old Runnin Rebels or San Diego State a few years ago.

Of the DI basketball stadiums that I have been to the Super Pit is up there with the best.

SMU & TCU- EWWW!!!

OSU was nice. We got a tour when we went this year and it was great, but they put in millions of dollars a couple of years ago to make it what it is now.

UNT-I Love it. If anyone has been on the floor with 4,000+ screaming in a tight game you know how loud it gets. In the crowd you can not tell how loud everyone else gets because the sound travels to the court and not around the stadium.

My big complaint is with a great RTVF program like ours why is our production equipment so crapy? The sound system at the pit just plain sucks! The two jumbotrons.....or minitrons are old and out of date. And the cameras and replay feed is unwatchable.

As far as people coming to watch I think there is only two reasons people watch basketball. Either you like solid basketball the way it is supposed to be played which breeds winners, Gonzaga or Duke. Or people want to see high scoring, fast paced, dunking in your face action, old Runnin Rebels or San Diego State a few years ago.

I think the Pit is great. I believe as a multi-event venue the ~10,000 seating serves us well. How many HS graduations do we run through there in a typical May? I bet those bring in a good chunk of change...

I agree with your suggestions for updates. We need bigger screens, a better sound system and better lighting. Just imagine strobes and rocking bass when they announce the line up. Right now the only flashing lights are those setup around the ceiling for Yeatts when he takes pictures.

Edited by jimmyjames_99

The RTVF department doesn't make production equipment, but if we ever decide to purchase anything, I'm sure they'll be a sounding board.

The replay feed was donated courtesy of UTA a few years ago...

I think the Pit is great. I believe as a multi-event venue the ~10,000 seating serves us well. How many HS graduations do we run through there in a typical May? I bet those bring in a good chunk of change...

I agree with your suggestions for updates. We need bigger screens, a better sound system and better lighting. Just imagine strobes and rocking bass when they announce the line up. Right now the only flashing lights are those setup around the ceiling for Yeatts when he takes pictures.

We need a fog machine too.. that is essential if we ever expect to contend with the big dogs

We need a fog machine too.. that is essential if we ever expect to contend with the big dogs

Just for reference, traditional powers such as UCLA, Indiana, and Duke have no fog machine, strobe lights, fireworks, or pounding bass music during warmups or pregame intros.

I'm sure they have all of those at Rupp(Kentucky) though.

OK. Here's the next question. With all the football programs in the world going to these fancy schmancy stadiums that include luxury suites, hotel rooms, maid service, flying clowns, and levitating goal posts, where are all the new basketball arenas? I don't hear much about that. The D1 digs I've been to, including Pauley Pavillion at UCLA, just aren't all that impressive. Many, including places like Cal, are souped up high school gyms.

USC, of course, did just build a new basketball arena as they continue to play in that rock pile called the LA Coliseum.

That still pisses me off!

My understanding is they had all the equipment necessary to review replays except a monitor court side.

Yup.

The ref refused to watch the feed on the video board and said he had to have a monitor or nothing. When he was pushed to just watch, he left the court quickly.

OK. Here's the next question. With all the football programs in the world going to these fancy schmancy stadiums that include luxury suites, hotel rooms, maid service, flying clowns, and levitating goal posts, where are all the new basketball arenas? I don't hear much about that. The D1 digs I've been to, including Pauley Pavillion at UCLA, just aren't all that impressive. Many, including places like Cal, are souped up high school gyms.

USC, of course, did just build a new basketball arena as they continue to play in that rock pile called the LA Coliseum.

I love Pauley though? It *feels* like a college arena. Most "souped up" arenas(I'd kinda throw in USC's new Galen Center into this, though it feels like a cross between a pro arena and the SupetPit) have no personality, and frankly aren't all that intimidating because they are somewhat sterile.

For the same reason, the LA Colesium is pretty intimidating(it hasn't been Disney-fied by the masses). Also can be one of the loudest stadiums I've ever been to when the Trojan faithful really get going.

Edited by CMJ

I remember when the lights were turned off, and the starting lineup was spot-lighted amid a musical fanfare. It was impressive.

Maybe the cheerleaders should throw T-Shirts into the stands while the game clock is running. That is the loudest part of the night by far. The team might think the crowd was yelling for them.

I don't think billboards, TV and newspaper ads do much to help attendance. Has anyone ever gone to a ball-game because of some ad? I never have.

More people go to games because of what they learn from the sports media.

North Texas gets very little sports media attention. IMO word-of-mouth and/or being invited to or taken by parents to a game is how most North Texas fans got started. That is certainly true for me and my friends that go to games. One had never seen a basketball game in his life before he was invited to a game at the old pit.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I remember when the lights were turned off, and the starting lineup was spot-lighted amid a musical fanfare. It was impressive.

Maybe the cheerleaders should throw T-Shirts into the stands while the game clock is running. That is the loudest part of the night by far. The team might think the crowd was yelling for them.

I don't think billboards, TV and newspaper ads do much to help attendance. Has anyone ever gone to a ball-game because of some ad? I never have.

More people go to games because of what they learn from the sports media.

North Texas gets very little sports media attention. IMO word-of-mouth and/or being invited to or taken by parents to a game is how most North Texas fans got started. That is certainly true for me and my friends that go to games. One had never seen a basketball game in his life before he was invited to a game at the old pit.

You're right as rain about ads not boosting attendance but I do think that a t-shirt promotion, especially in the vein of Trilli's March Madness T-shirt in '99 would stimulate a lot of interest. That was the one with each of the player's name on it. Also, the banners couldn't hurt. Just a reminder to those on campus that there is a basketball game tonight. That would be more for the casual attendee than the diehard.

I also agree with you about the spotlight entrance. I think that gets a crowd pumped up.

It's not a glaring fact, it's a pointless complaint, and here's my annual response to it.

What would basketball season be if we didn't at least see one "e-bone" complaint before Christmas about the football supportive "die-hards" who plan for the 5 home football games but then fail to attend all 15 home basketball games, but without fail also ignores the some 6,000 STUDENTS who live ON CAMPUS, and the several thousand just off campus who are part of the 11,000 who live within the city and county who are not consistently at the basketball games either.

Rick

Umm, there are 5 Saturday home basketball games this season...

Also, how are preparations coming for the spring practice extravaganza? It's only a few months away and it is time to start planning!

Edited by e-bone ver2.awesome

Yup.

The ref refused to watch the feed on the video board and said he had to have a monitor or nothing. When he was pushed to just watch, he left the court quickly.

This is NCAA regulations. The only replay officials are permitted to view are those played on the scoring table monitor.

This is NCAA regulations. The only replay officials are permitted to view are those played on the scoring table monitor.

Oh I didn't mean the ref was in the wrong. I just think its funny that exchange convinced RV to do something about this. Worse than losing the game was losing a player to smashed glass out of frustration. Only at North Texas...

Oh I didn't mean the ref was in the wrong. I just think its funny that exchange convinced RV to do something about this. Worse than losing the game was losing a player to smashed glass out of frustration. Only at North Texas...

Helped Calvin

SMU & TCU- EWWW!!!

My own opinion: the old UTEP (Don Haskins Center) games of the WAC era are the best basketball experiences I've ever had. You can still get a great taste of it if you're ever over there by chance to see them play UNM or NMSU.

Side-bit: There was a time when UNM was the hardest place for visitors to win..in the country. Wish I could have experienced one of those games.

I'm hoping UNT can get there one day. 12,000 screaming fans. Good, intense play.

Agree regarding TCU and SMU: never could get "into" the games there.

**edit

Texas State and UTSA have D-II venues...

Edited by greenminer

We were in the MVC when it weas built which was the best conference in America top to bottom. So they probably figured we could average nearly 10K a game back then.

We also had the premiere arena in the state when it was first built, and even held some early rounds of the NCAA twice - which I'm also sure was a reason it was built as is.

True.

We also came close to selling the place out when we played the #1 ranked Depaul team that starred Mark Aquirre. The reason many people that have just come to follow the program, like oldguystudent, ask this question is that they don't realize how Tommy Newman killed all excitement for North Texas basketball. It was un-watchable during his tenure. To go from Blakely's run and gun to Newman's half court offense, would be like going from a Mike Leach coached football team to DD.

Edited by UNTLifer

True.

We also came close to selling the place out when we played the #1 ranked Depaul team that starred Mark Aquirre. The reason many people that have just come to follow the program, like oldguystudent, ask this question is that they don't realize how Tommy Newman killed all excitement for North Texas basketball. It was un-watchable during his tenure. To go from Blakely's run and gun to Newman's half court offense, would be like going from a Mike Leach coached football team to DD.

You're right about Newman. If I gave you my true feelings on the guy, my post would likely be deleted. I have an older brother who played for him before he came to North Texas. From what I've heard, it seems that virtually every person that he coached cound not stand him. Btw, my first game in Denton was the Depaul game. Wish we could bring that crowd magic back again.

Umm, there are 5 Saturday home basketball games this season...

Also, how are preparations coming for the spring practice extravaganza? It's only a few months away and it is time to start planning!

I talked to SoundMan at the ASU football game about possibly doing another barbecue for the fans prior to a home basketball game. May be best in Janurary/February? He's currently doing a refurb on the smaller pit so we'll see. We can try and coordinate it with the current Pit Crew students and have them get the word out prior to.

Rick