Stadium Fund Raising

drex

I got a fund raising letter from Bataille today. In it she addressed four areas of contributions that the university was asking for. Perched number one on the list was donations for the new stadium. This is a nice first step, but I was disappointed in the 'abstract' approach for donations for the staduim. There were no particulars listed, such as anticipated time of completion, a way to pledge x amount of money for x number of years. Also missing was any reference as to what a $1000 donor to the stadium gets as opposed to a $10,000, etc. Maybe that information is coming under separate cover. At least they have started. I will not commit to a certain amount until I see a few more specifics. I will send them a 'start up' gift for this tax year, but cannont commit to long term blindly.

The stadium fund raising letter was supposed to let folks know, that if they sent a copy of the letter to 10 different people....they would receive some good luck. But, if they didn't keep the "chain" going they would receive some really bad luck.

I got the letter as well. While she did mention the stadium, she seemed to stress

the scholarship fund for worthy students with limited funds.

Further, the requested donation was for a non specific donation. It was IMO not a request

for funding of a stadium.

That is of course, that I received the same letter, read the letter wrong, etc, If that is the

case then nevermind.

I got a fund raising letter from Bataille today. In it she addressed four areas of contributions that the university was asking for. Perched number one on the list was donations for the new stadium. This is a nice first step, but I was disappointed in the 'abstract' approach for donations for the staduim. There were no particulars listed, such as anticipated time of completion, a way to pledge x amount of money for x number of years. Also missing was any reference as to what a $1000 donor to the stadium gets as opposed to a $10,000, etc. Maybe that information is coming under separate cover. At least they have started. I will not commit to a certain amount until I see a few more specifics. I will send them a 'start up' gift for this tax year, but cannont commit to long term blindly.

I received a telelphone call last week from someone in the athletic department saying that they wanted to talk about a donation at a specific level. I was having dinner out with friends and told them I was interested and asked them to call back. Have not heard back from them yet. Anyone else get this call? If so, was it stadium related?

The stadium fund raising letter was supposed to let folks know, that if they sent a copy of the letter to 10 different people....they would receive some good luck. But, if they didn't keep the "chain" going they would receive some really bad luck.

I thought they had to send out 10 copies within the next 10 minutes to get the good luck.

I was also going to write about the letter when received, but decided not to be a curmudgeon about this. As someone who spends a great deal of time raising money, I have to say, it is the worst "ask" I have ever received. It is even full of questionable grammar. The letter is based on a theme of "collaborations" for the stadium, research, and a program to eliminate barriers to higher education.

"The spirit of collaboration is building around UNT's proposed new stadium and entertainment venue, which is fostering new partnerships among university constituencies. ....The new stadium will not only host football games; it is envisioned as an important new venue for performing and visual arts."

So fellow constituents, lets collaborate to make the new Fouts Field II Stadium and Entertainment Venue a reality.

PS I'll send some money anyway.

I don't think this was any stadium campaign letter but a general fundraising request. I received a similar letter yesterday, I think. Mine was not so specific about stadium fundraising but did mention it as an option to contribute towards. I always receive an end of year donation request and this looks in line with past general solicitation letters. The main exception in this is that it does mention the athletic fee passage and a surprising new collaboration between different entities within UNT towards the stadium (huh?). A stadium box is available to checkoff, as well as other areas, as a place for your donation focus.

Edited by NT80

I remember getting that letter after reading Drex's post. It was so UN-interesting, I tore it up after a quick glance. So I had to go home, dig in the recycle bin and piece it back together.

After reading it a second time, I recall why I tore it up in the first place. The stadium topic was the second item metioned.

And the donation levels mentioned-- $25-$50-$100 ? Small time. No wonder we can't get anything done--we assume nobody's going to give so we're embarassed to ask for some real money. I'm surprised there wasn't a box to check off if one just wanted to say, "I'm not going to give any money, but I certainly wish you well."

GO MEAN GREEN

I remember getting that letter after reading Drex's post. It was so UN-interesting, I tore it up after a quick glance. So I had to go home, dig in the recycle bin and piece it back together.

After reading it a second time, I recall why I tore it up in the first place. The stadium topic was the second item metioned.

And the donation levels mentioned-- $25-$50-$100 ? Small time. No wonder we can't get anything done--we assume nobody's going to give so we're embarassed to ask for some real money. I'm surprised there wasn't a box to check off if one just wanted to say, "I'm not going to give any money, but I certainly wish you well."

GO MEAN GREEN

If you look below the list of options, there is a write in option for any amount.