Good News Would Have Leaked My Now

MeanGreenZen

I was on the SGA about eight years ago for the Title IX referendum and the rec center referendum. In both cases, we knew the results minutes after the election was over and we passed the "unofficial" good news along to the UNT administration immediately. Unless the UNT athletic department has completely destroyed their relationship with the SGA leadership, then RV and his posse know the results already. If it was good news they would have let out some hint that the damn thing passed. Instead: silence. I hope I am wrong. Heads should roll if this thing fails.

You would have to think, with the desperate need for this stadium, that no matter how the votes come out......that the university will say it passed. They know that if it doesn't, we are doomed.

You seriously think the university would lie about the outcome of the vote? If the higher-ups really want a stadium, they can take steps to make it happen regardless of how this thing falls. They could start by having another student vote where the students are actually INFORMED OF THE FACTS!!!

2 Scenarios:

1. The news is bad and the AD, Prez, Flyer, etc... don't want to be the bearers of such terrible news. I can't say as if I would blame Flyer either.

2. The SGA advisor is being extremely tight lipped because he/she wants the voting results to come out exactly 24 hours after the end of voting. They may be aware of the AD and UNTFlyers association with this board and are purposely keeping results under wraps so that nobody knows the results early.

Remember, if we have the record turnout of roughly 10% then we need about 1600 votes to secure the passage. I think that is feasible.

2. The SGA advisor is being extremely tight lipped because he/she wants the voting results to come out exactly 24 hours after the end of voting. They may be aware of the AD and UNTFlyers association with this board and are purposely keeping results under wraps so that nobody knows the results early.

The delay doesn't have to mean failure. The SGA advisor could be following the rules by the letter, given the reports about voting problems and potential appeals from either or both sides.

Funny ironic that the alumni are hovering around waiting for the results and only a few students. I just don't know folks, 55-45 sounds about right again, same as last time. I would hope that the election would be contested - way too much ballot fraud. Have the vote again this semester, no reason to wait until the Spring. Make it old fashioned balloting, in person, in the union. I know that a re-vote is bad but this voting on your phone/voting on a computer/voting in any building on campus - just has too many ways to be corrupted.

I will never understand the mind of the North Texas student (in general)... I guess this is why I was in a fraternity at North Texas and stayed away from the artsy fartsy crowd, you just can't reason with them... and the thing that STILL gets me is that this won't even take effect until 2011!!! So these kids won't even have to pay it (for the most part), yet they still vote against it. They are just the "no" crowd. GRRR

I love following and rooting for UNT football and I hate to think about what a no vote will do to the morale of the athletes, coaches, and the A.D. I think Rick has done a lot of great things since he's been here and I hope his vision for this program doesn't change if the athletic fee doesn't pass. I'd hate to lose him.

If it doesn't pass, we should contract Dodge to take his football recruiting expertise and put together a plan to recrute better students of the university. ;)

I don't take late notice as bad. If this passed, and they give the no side a chance to contest and they don't, then this goes through. Maybe we play it by the book to make sure it sticks. We will have to wait and see.

Text me the results, bro. I have plans for this evening and won't be near a computer.

That doesn't sound good. But I do agree the university needs to do what it needs to do to pass it :ph34r: , otherwise they just chopped off 2/3 of their alumni support for the university. <_<

That is a true statement and very good point. If this thing doesn't pass, I think we should all send scathing letters to the Daily and to the UNT Administration letting them know that their own Student Body signed their university's death warrant. Many folks (donating alumni that make this thing work) just won't feel like fighting for this thing any longer if the Student Body just doesn't care enough.

That being said - I will remain cautiously optimistic. I greatly appreciate the efforts of UNTflyer and other students who worked very, very hard to get this thing passed - UNT needs 34,000 more of those folks.

Fingers crossed... ;)

I don't take late notice as bad. If this passed, and they give the no side a chance to contest and they don't, then this goes through. Maybe we play it by the book to make sure it sticks. We will have to wait and see.

They'll (or we'll) have a chance to contest once the results are made official.

Guys... this is vintage Jeff Kline. He has always done stuff like this. Keeping the vote tally secret until it becomes official is totally something he would do just because he can. Anyone else that has had the pleaseure of knowing Jeff would say something along the lines that I have. Don't sweat it guys. Have some beers, watch some football and quit getting negative. You guys can get negative at 5PM if the vote fails. Otherwise, just chill out. If anyone was going to hold the outcome over everyone's head for 24 hours, it would be Jeff Kline.

Guys... this is vintage Jeff Kline. He has always done stuff like this. Keeping the vote tally secret until it becomes official is totally something he would do just because he can. Anyone else that has had the pleaseure of knowing Jeff would say something along the lines that I have. Don't sweat it guys. Have some beers, watch some football and quit getting negative. You guys can get negative at 5PM if the vote fails. Otherwise, just chill out. If anyone was going to hold the outcome over everyone's head for 24 hours, it would be Jeff Kline.

Shame on you for talking some sense! This board does not have room for any of that crazy talk! ;)

Just for clarification, is that 5PM today, or 5PM the next business day (Monday)?

They'll (or we'll) have a chance to contest once the results are made official.

I don't think this is right. From what I understand, either side MUST contest the ELECTION, not the decision, within 24 hours, while the results are held close in secrecy. You can ONLY contest the Election itself, not the results of the election.