Smu Banner Ads On Meangreensports.com

adman

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has the athletic department completely lost their minds? Why in the hell would they put the SMUT crap on anything North Texas? Unbelievable.

I'm not sure how that generic athletic site hosting company works or who decides on ads, but isn't the worst case scenario that SMU (and my friends at the Richards Group - what's up guys!) just paid money on a very stupid media buy (although how much can that really cost?)

Is there anyone besides the posters on this board with Dodge in their user names who will see that and think about checking out some SMU games this year?

I haven't seen it on the site, but if true, I think it's pretty funny.

North Texas has always been their Super Bowl. Remember this past season when SMU fans on their own site said that the North Texas game was the most anticipated game of the year? It wasn't even close, someting like 70% of their fans said so. More SMU fans were looking forward to the North Texas game than all CUSA games combined. They were willing to scrap this whole past season to concentrate on their chance to beat North Texas, and now we can see that their obsession with North Texas continues.

Although it sure seems early, they are probably starting to get excited about the series that starts in 2016.

Totally unacceptable!! It's gone now but I'm not sure if it cycled off normally or someone was smart enough to remove it. This is sort-of like the 2 large (maybe) 3X8 foot 2008 football schedules for UT and A&M prominently displayed at Hooters in Denton. You can find a North Texas poster of our schedule (about the size of a typical high school poster) if you look hard enough. I asked Rick the manager "what was up with that?". He said UNT nor the beer distributors gave him anything. The others were easy to get. If he could get a sizable North Texas schedule he'd love to put one up....can't get one, he said. Why not? Is this the hidden reason the town of Denton and the merchants aren't behind THE University? Marketing maybe???

Totally unacceptable!! It's gone now but I'm not sure if it cycled off normally or someone was smart enough to remove it. This is sort-of like the 2 large (maybe) 3X8 foot 2008 football schedules for UT and A&M prominently displayed at Hooters in Denton. You can find a North Texas poster of our schedule (about the size of a typical high school poster) if you look hard enough. I asked Rick the manager "what was up with that?". He said UNT nor the beer distributors gave him anything. The others were easy to get. If he could get a sizable North Texas schedule he'd love to put one up....can't get one, he said. Why not? Is this the hidden reason the town of Denton and the merchants aren't behind THE University? Marketing maybe???

I gave Hooters 3 of our large posters the Monday after the cookout. Even though the manager was excited to get them, I've been back twice and haven't seen them hanging anywhere

I gave Hooters 3 of our large posters the Monday after the cookout. Even though the manager was excited to get them, I've been back twice and haven't seen them hanging anywhere

Thanks UNTFlyer!! Gotta love it! I will personally talk to Rick again. I remember ShopmeanGreen gave Rudy's a North Texas flag and it took them 2 months to get it put up too. The flag is there now and it last's from season to season but a schedule needs to be put up sooner than later! BTW, the waitress, a student at UNT didn't know a THING about the football schedule and didn't plan to go to the game. She said, "they're a terrible team, I went last year once and it was horrible". Hmmmm........ She was cute though :rolleyes:

Thanks UNTFlyer!! Gotta love it! I will personally talk to Rick again. I remember ShopmeanGreen gave Rudy's a North Texas flag and it took them 2 months to get it put up too. The flag is there now and it last's from season to season but a schedule needs to be put up sooner than later! BTW, the waitress, a student at UNT didn't know a THING about the football schedule and didn't plan to go to the game. She said, "they're a terrible team, I went last year once and it was horrible". Hmmmm........ She was cute though :rolleyes:

Last night, the Hooters girl asked me if I had a son who played for the team.

<_<

Let me try to shed a little light on how internet advertising generally works. All banners that you see while surfing random web sites are not permanent placements, in fact, most them are not permanent placements. What does that mean?? Basically, it means that the advertiser did not necessarily contract with the actual site you are observing the ad (in this case, the Richards Group likely did not sign a contract with meangreensports.com to place a SMU banner there).

So, how in the world did the Pony Up ad appear on the meangreensports.com website?? It's called Behavioral Targeting. There are several internet advertising companies that employ behavioral targeting strategies and these companies have networks of internet sites that number in the thousands. Behavioral targeting allows advertisers to identify customers that express an interest in their product and then, through the use of the networks, allows the banner ad to follow those interested customers to other websites. In this case, adman and every other poster that saw the SMU banner had previously been identified as customers that are interested in college football (or whatever identifiable action the ad planner set up) and so when they went to a site within the purchased network (in this case meangreensports.com) they were served the SMU banner ad.

For a perfect example of how this works, visit omahasteaks.com and view a few pages on that site. Soon, you'll be seeing Omaha Steaks banner ads at nearly every web site you visit.

I'm not saying this is definitely how the SMU banner ad ended up on meangreensports.com but, in my professional opinion, this is the most likely scenario.

Rudy's was given a North Texas flag by me and MrStrange a few years ago and it hung there for over a year...only to disappear.

Let me try to shed a little light on how internet advertising generally works. All banners that you see while surfing random web sites are not permanent placements, in fact, most them are not permanent placements. What does that mean?? Basically, it means that the advertiser did not necessarily contract with the actual site you are observing the ad (in this case, the Richards Group likely did not sign a contract with meangreensports.com to place a SMU banner there).

So, how in the world did the Pony Up ad appear on the meangreensports.com website?? It's called Behavioral Targeting. There are several internet advertising companies that employ behavioral targeting strategies and these companies have networks of internet sites that number in the thousands. Behavioral targeting allows advertisers to identify customers that express an interest in their product and then, through the use of the networks, allows the banner ad to follow those interested customers to other websites. In this case, adman and every other poster that saw the SMU banner had previously been identified as customers that are interested in college football (or whatever identifiable action the ad planner set up) and so when they went to a site within the purchased network (in this case meangreensports.com) they were served the SMU banner ad.

For a perfect example of how this works, visit omahasteaks.com and view a few pages on that site. Soon, you'll be seeing Omaha Steaks banner ads at nearly every web site you visit.

I'm not saying this is definitely how the SMU banner ad ended up on meangreensports.com but, in my professional opinion, this is the most likely scenario.

Thank you - I tried to leave the door open for someone who did this for a living to explain it better.

I just also like cheap, unwarranted shots at the Richards Group.

Thank you - I tried to leave the door open for someone who did this for a living to explain it better.

I just also like cheap, unwarranted shots at the Richards Group.

I get the concept...... but let me bet you my paycheck there won't be North Texas banner that ever makes it's way on to an SMU athletic site. Most likely for two reasons, we are not buying banner adds and SMUt understands how to and has the clout to control advertising on their websites. I don't mean this to sound critical........it just seems to be the facts. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

I get the concept...... but let me bet you my paycheck there won't be North Texas banner that ever makes it's way on to an SMU athletic site. Most likely for two reasons, we are not buying banner adds and SMUt understands how to and has the clout to control advertising on their websites. I don't mean this to sound critical........it just seems to be the facts. I'd love to be wrong on this one.

I agree with you, but for reason #3. The UNT Athletics Marketing/Advertising department is sub par, to put it mildly.

I don't know that SMU necessarily knows what they are doing either but they have employed an ad agency that does. Conquesting is a popular form of internet advertising and that may be the tactic the SMU campaign has taken.

Edited by gangrene

They can also target you for certain market ads (DFW specific) based on your IP address. Generally, IP addresses for dial-up, DSL, and Cable are assigned to different regions in groups. The term for this is Geolocation. Knowing the location of a user, an advertiser can ask to try to have the ad appear to people within a specific market. This is called Geomarketing.

We have another Major problem with Hooters. Last year they spent upwards of $18k on marketing for UNT to ensure product placement at the stadium and secure the coaches show. As you know they hosted the show the first couple of weeks but then it was pulled from them becuase our new Female President didnt like the image that Hooters portrays as good enough for UNT. Therefore she pulled the coaches show and now Hooters has pulled all money from UNT. They used to put "Home of the Mean Green" on their girls tank tops, but have pulled those off as well just in spite of UNT giving them the cold shoulder last year.