Smu Banner Ads On Meangreensports.com

adman

I noticed the Smut ad for Junie last night and tried to copy it to post, but couldn't. I was not amused. <_<

GMG!

Was just over on the athletic site, the Smut ads are still there! 5:53 pm

Edited by NTEdgex2

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is totally unacceptable. Would A$M ever allow UT ads on their athletics site? :angry:

I don't know why this should shock anyone. This is just typical North Texas athletics. Nope, you will never see a UT ad on A & M athletics site, just as you wouldn't see it the other way around. Just another reason why people laugh at us.

They used to put "Home of the Mean Green" on their girls tank tops, but have pulled those off as well just in spite of UNT giving them the cold shoulder last year.

Why are you mad that they pulled off their tank tops?

I also have no problem with us getting SMU's money, even if it is in a roundabout manner. I doubt anyone would decide not to be a UNT donor just because of a banner contracted by some third party.

8:50 a.m. and its still up. Just take the sight down if you're to stupid to get the Ad removed. I'd rather see nothing than an Ad for SMU football.

It could also be contextual advertising. That's how much of google's adsense works.

We get ads for UCA (Central Arkansas), Razorback merchandise, and MTSU ring tones on my site because people talk about those schools. Not in a positive way of course but the search spider doesn't know that, all it knows is that its a site where MTSU was mentioned frequently along with football so it must be the perfect place to sell MTSU ringtones.

8:50 a.m. and its still up. Just take the sight down if you're to stupid to get the Ad removed. I'd rather see nothing than an Ad for SMU football.

Relax. First, you're drawing ridicule from the Pony Fans site. Second, taking down the site is an extreme act.

Look at it this way... every time you refresh the site and see that banner ad, it's another nickel in our pockets. Keep refreshing and we're one step closer to that stadium.

If it makes you feel any better, SMU's Spirit Shop got hacked this week.

Edited by UNTflyer

The company that hosts the site has control over the ads and are supposed to funnel everything through athletics for approval. They didn't and are probably enjoying a nice weekend like everyone else as folks in the AD try to get it resolved.

Luckily, four of you were here to get your panties in a wad and turn it into a Ponyfans/Vito fun story for mockery. The ad is embarrassing, but the whining and inability to understand these crazy internets is much worse.

Yes, the ad wouldn't show up on most sites because most clients are treated like crap by their web hosting company. I guess taking the "sight" down is one way "too" go, but I think that makes us look worse than anything else.

The downside being that when enough finally do that, the ad-supported model for the internet no longer works, shifting content to subscription based.

It's debatable whether internet ads work. Other than the SMU ad, can any recall what other companies have put an ad in that spot (referred to as a skyscraper ad)?

If you are seeing that ad you probably have a SMU or SMU-related cookie on your computer that you got when you went to one of the SMU athletic sites or message boards. You can clear your cookies and/or stop going to the SMU site(s) and you'll probably stop seeing the ad. It's no big deal. It's how the Internet stays free (mostly). It's not like every person that goes to meangreensports.com is seeing that ad.

Keith