First Recruit Per Rivals.

filmerj

Found this of a rivals page but i don't have a subscription. to get the rest

"As a native of Denton, Texas, Dallas (Texas) Spruce athlete Daniel Mayberry didn't have to think too hard about the opportunity to return home. With an offer from UTEP and interest from programs such as Montana State, Colorado State, SMU and Tulsa, Mayberry has decided to commit to the Mean Green, giving UNT its first 2009 commitment."

Added information added to original post by Oldtimer

Ath Daniel Mayberry, Dallas Spruce, 6-0, 175, 4.4, Jr. Stats: 350 yds rushing for 5 TD's, 959 yds passing for 10 TD's, 1st Team All District 17-5A @ QB

Played QB as Jr..TX football shows him as wide receiver and was recruited as a WR by NT.

Edited by OldTimer

Don't knock 'em too much...they have more 2009 commitments than we do right now. In fact, they seem to be recruiting quite a few kids from Texas. The Bobcat list. I see antoher one of our prospects on their list.

Plus, they have a skiing team...that's cool.

yes but do they have a baseball team? Er never mind.

He turned down an offer from UTEP....Montana State, Colorado St, SMU and Tulsa had also been recruiting him.

Hey, I agree that beating an OFFER from UTEP is the key here. UTEP was only 4-8 last year, but one of those wins was over SMU; another was over Tulsa. By the way, why disrespect Montana State? They've played well in the last 3 years; made it to the 1-AA quarterfinals in 2006 before losing to Appalachian State; no real disgrace. Maybe we should line up a game against one of the top tier FCS teams...we couldn't be any more embarrassed than Michigan was last year. But hey, I picked up a wrinkled old five dollar bill i saw laying on the ground last week; too bad it wasn't a nice new crispy one.

He turned down THE Montana State to come here? What a steal!

You, sir, are a smart ass!

(Actually, I am just jealous because I wanted to post the same thing...) :P

EDIT: BTW...do we need another WR??? Is that the only position we can recruit??? Enough already, we need some DE, DL, OL, etc. players!

Edited by NCMeanGreen

Notch one... he's fast, and in general, you are leader type if you were a quarterback. You can find roles for athletes with some leadership experience... Never a bad thing to have those types of athletes on the team. The more the merrier. Twood be nice to get some more size.... but it is June 08. Everything is cool. It is also nice to see a Denton native stay in the area.

Go mean green.

Thank you SHOSS - as I said below:

I just gotta say, if I were this kid - I would call Price at UTEP and take his offer after reading this board. Our fans are a bunch of whiney babies. This kid just committed to play for our school (who cares at what position?) and the very first day of the committment I am sure that he will come onto this board to read about it.. He will get to read "well, nice to have you - but who cares really, you don't play defense and we will not even give you the courtesy to say welcome aboard for 24 hours"...

His committment is an oral, non-binding committment. I almost encourage him to yank it after reading some of our fans responses.

Hey kiddo, stick it out with the Mean Green - you will be catching lots of passes from Riley someday. Don't worry, we will have a defense out there to handle that as well. Welcome aboard and thank you for seeing the vision of Todge! We all know he will do great and we are glad to have you part of the rebuilding efforts!

I just gotta say, if I were this kid - I would call Price at UTEP and take his offer after reading this board. Our fans are a bunch of whiney babies. This kid just committed to play for our school (who cares at what position?) and the very first day of the committment I am sure that he will come onto this board to read about it.. He will get to read "well, nice to have you - but who cares really, you don't play defense and we will not even give you the courtesy to say welcome aboard for 24 hours"...

His committment is an oral, non-binding committment. I almost encourage him to yank it after reading some of our fans responses.

Hey kiddo, stick it out with the Mean Green - you will be catching lots of passes from Riley someday. Don't worry, we will have a defense out there to handle that as well. Welcome aboard and thank you for seeing the vision of Todge! We all know he will do great and we are glad to have you part of the rebuilding efforts!

Welcome to North Texas. It is a great school that will give you a very good education. I look forward to seeing you on the field.

Edited by Danish42

Great news! Daniel Mayberry, Spruch HS, 17-5A, 6-0, 175, and 4.4 speed!!

Another DFW athlete commiting to North Texas! Looks like a very good

slot reciever with speed that the team needs!

Coach Dodge stated that recruiting the DFW area is a priority, and I am

very happy that the North Texas staff is recruiting the top DFW athletes!

Looks like many schools were taking notice of Mayberry!

As far as "stealing one from Montana State", what a cop out- geez

If you look at Scout.com, and review the top athletes, you will see

prospects with offers from the big boys along with offers from the

lower division schools. So if a kid has a offer from Texas, and a offer

from Nicholls State, but the kid commits to Texas, did Texas "steal"

one from Nicholls State?

Coach Dodge and his staff has changed the whole recruiting scene

at North Texas, upped the competition, and brought in 2 terrific classes

of athletes that will win! I believe in Coach Dodge and his recruiting

of the prospects that he judges as top athletes to fit the team needs!

I am sure the OL,DE,DT,LB's needs will be met with this class too!

I think everyone is happy to have Mayberry has a Green commit. The only downside is that WR can hardy be considered a need position. Per TD on recruiting, 12 wr's is his target. He apparently has 14 on ship with 2 being seniors with the rest being freshmen and sophomores. The positive is that Mayberry must be a very good recruit to merit a ship at this position. Most expect TD is going to get great WR recruits so the "wow factor" is not the same as for other positions.

I just am friends with several players (past and present) and they read this board religiously. They read it from the day that they start considering North Texas. So I can just imagine this young man - with an offer from UTEP - and one from NT... coming to GMG.com the day after he orally commits to US over them; only to find a plethora of comments about how we don't really need another WR. I mean, give the guy 24 hours of congrats first and then talk generally about needing more "beef".. it is the off season and people tend to just complain because they are bored... but I think that a lot of posters don't realize that these athletes don't post... but they do read (just about every day). They are fans just like us. Some even post, I think you would be surprised as to their board names, haha. But it is greatly discouraged for players to post from what I understand. There might be some sort of NCAA rule about it, I dunno.

Our offense depends on quality WRs. A steady flow of them through the pipe would be ideal. Looks to me like TD is going to put some in the pipe in every class to replace those graduating. So our FIRST commit for next Feb happens to be a WR...I'll take quality players' commitments in any order they come.

Welcome to the Mean Green Nation, Daniel. We're damned pleased you chose UNT and can't wait to see you wearing the Green and White. You obviously have your head on straight.

I just am friends with several players (past and present) and they read this board religiously. They read it from the day that they start considering North Texas. So I can just imagine this young man - with an offer from UTEP - and one from NT... coming to GMG.com the day after he orally commits to US over them; only to find a plethora of comments about how we don't really need another WR. I mean, give the guy 24 hours of congrats first and then talk generally about needing more "beef".. it is the off season and people tend to just complain because they are bored... but I think that a lot of posters don't realize that these athletes don't post... but they do read (just about every day). They are fans just like us. Some even post, I think you would be surprised as to their board names, haha. But it is greatly discouraged for players to post from what I understand. There might be some sort of NCAA rule about it, I dunno.

Good points Stebo.

I'd like to add something to that. For years, gmg posters bitched and moaned about UNT not recruiting from the DISD and here, we have our first commit of the year from...you guessed it...the DISD.

While we appear to be loaded at the WR position, any one who watched even part of one game last year should know it's not a bad thing to have a lot of capable WRs in this offense. I also would like to see some additions to the OL and DL but I have confidence those will come in time. WRs and QBs (we have a lot those interested in us this year too if you haven't noticed) are highlighted in Dodge's system and put up crazy statistical numbers (see Casey Fitzgerald's 2007 season). It should come as no surprise to anyone that we'll get more than our fair share of recruits at those positions each and every year Dodge is our head coach.

Welcome aboard Mr. Mayberry and best of luck to you in Denton. And Tweedy, if you're still considering the Mean Green, we'd be happy to have you here as well.