Board Statistcs (and A Stadium Funding Idea)

gangrene

I ask this about once a year and I never seem to get a reply.

Is there any chance we can get the Board Statistics section functioning again? By my count (no I'm not really counting) we have 10,794 members yet our Board Statistics section still only reports 3,029.

We have almost 11,000 members now! I know those aren't all UNT alumni/Mean Green fans and I know this probably isn't realistic but...if 10,000 of us could contribute $750 over a one year period, we could raise $7.5 million toward our "stadium fund". From all the reports I've heard, $7.5 million would surpass our current purported funding of +/- $6 million. One would think that would easily be enough to break ground on this project. Once the construction begins I'd hope many more donors and/or sponsors would come forward.

I know $750 sounds like a lot of money to some of you, but that's over one full year. Let me do the math...$62.50 per month.... a tank of gas, a cable bill (mine's actually twice that), one or two dinners at a restaurant, etc. etc.

There is power in numbers and that's one thing we, as UNT graduates, definitely have on our side. Many can contribute a little and we can all reap the benefits.

I'm envisioning a Lambeau Field type situation (where the community owns the team). If everyone contributes, it should encourage more university pride and association. In addition, I would expect increased attendance as those that contributed would be more interested to see where their money went.

Honestly, I'm tired of the stadium funding talk and I'm ready to do something about it. I'm not as blessed in the finance category as Boone Pickens or Mark Cuban so I need everyone's help. We need to bond together and do our part. Fouts was built in 1952, so I'd venture to guess most of our living alumni didn't contribute to the cost to build Fouts. We'd be fortunate if our new stadium lasts 56+ years but I'd hope that this would be the last football stadium fund to which most of us would have to contribute funds.

Well, that's my pie in the sky idea...for whatever it's worth....now let the commentary assault begin....

Interesting idea. I wonder how many GoMeanGreen folks would be willing to "donate" to a GoMeanGreen stadium fund if one were set up and monitored correctly? I work for a financial institution and could certainly open an account and would be willing to act as "treasurer" if something like this really did get going? Any thoughts?

And, yes, joing the Mean Green Club and buying season tickets is critical to getting a new stadium built and in developing some "respect" for the program around the country. Let's "show"...time to put up or shut up as they say....what the Mean Green Nation is all about this season by buying tickets and actually attending games...that goes for students and others who like to tailgate but never seem to make it inside the stadium for the actual game!

Instead of "harping" so much about a new stadium...let's fill the one we have this season! How about that for a GoMeanGreen.com "campaign"?

Hey, great idea for the tax rebate checks...if you get one...how about using it to buy UNT season football/basketball tickets???? Now that's an idea that will STIMULATE the economy!!!! Nice...very nice....almost "free" tickets...if, of course you were not getting back your own money that the folks in Washington DC should not have taken from you in the first place. But, that is a whole different subject, isn't it?

BUY MEAN GREEN SEASON TICKETS WITH TAX REBATE CHECKS!!!!!!!

I like it.

I'm certainly not flush with money, but I subscribe to the "put your money where your mouth is" theory.

I'll make the $750 donation to be used for "Stadium Construction" and have a notation that this is a GOMEANGREEN inspired donation.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Great! It looks like we have a few takers. It's a looooong way from 10,000 but we've got to start somewhere.

KRAM1 - would you mind researching how we could set up an account and make the information available to everyone on gmg?

I'd also like to see some sort of a counter that could possibly update the donation total as funds are contributed (an idea that has been mentioned on gmg before) as well as show who contributed what. I hate high pressure but sometimes a little pressure is necessary. We have a LOT of complainers on this board who want to give opinions on how the stadium should be built but very few seem to be willing to contribute any money directly to the cause.

As greenjoe put it (and I'll paraphrase his statement), it's time put up or shut up.

Great! It looks like we have a few takers. It's a looooong way from 10,000 but we've got to start somewhere.

KRAM1 - would you mind researching how we could set up an account and make the information available to everyone on gmg?

I'd also like to see some sort of a counter that could possibly update the donation total as funds are contributed (an idea that has been mentioned on gmg before) as well as show who contributed what. I hate high pressure but sometimes a little pressure is necessary. We have a LOT of complainers on this board who want to give opinions on how the stadium should be built but very few seem to be willing to contribute any money directly to the cause.

As greenjoe put it (and I'll paraphrase his statement), it's time put up or shut up.

I don't understand why this has to happen through some dude's paypal? Why not just donate and make a notation that you are part of the GMG pledge drive or whatever catchier name that could be used?

Seems like the tax breaks and gifts will pretty much be pulled from the masses if you do this - which I know is not the goal. Why not contact the AD and ask if something could be made as far as a fund raising challenge for the board or some kind of other incentive,. Right now, this just looks like a way to slap the Athletic Department and push the stadium issue around them. It could get to that point, but why not see how the two sides could cooperate first?

The possibilities for cross promotion and improved incentives are here, but why not see if this could get "blessed" or even tweaked for the greatest benefit to the program?

I don't understand why this has to happen through some dude's paypal? Why not just donate and make a notation that you are part of the GMG pledge drive or whatever catchier name that could be used?

Seems like the tax breaks and gifts will pretty much be pulled from the masses if you do this - which I know is not the goal. Why not contact the AD and ask if something could be made as far as a fund raising challenge for the board or some kind of other incentive,. Right now, this just looks like a way to slap the Athletic Department and push the stadium issue around them. It could get to that point, but why not see how the two sides could cooperate first?

The possibilities for cross promotion and improved incentives are here, but why not see if this could get "blessed" or even tweaked for the greatest benefit to the program?

I'll just say I know the history and concerns around doing things this way and am just really interested in how this idea would be received by some folks who could help it along.

If I was given some sort of plan as to how the stadium is going to be done, what it will look like, when it will begin construction, etc, I would put in enough for me, and one other member who cannot afford to do so (my 12 year old son). In addition to my annual donation this year, I gave an extra $1000 allocated to the stadium fund. I assume it is in an interest bearing account waiting for a stadium plan on which to spend it.

Scott

I HAVE DONATED $1K PER YEAR IN JUNE FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS AND EARMARKED THAT IT BE USED EXCLUSIVELY FOR ATHLETIC FACILITIES, I. E. STADIUM. I WAS JUST ABOUT TO BLOW OFF DOING IT THIS YEAR SINCE IT SEEMED LIKE THE MONEY WAS GOING TOWARD A NO ACTION SITUATION. I STILL THINK IT WILL TAKE SOME INNOVATION FROM THE ADMINS IN CHARGE, BUT I'LL BE WILLING TO GO THE $1K ONE MORE TIME IF YOU'LL BE SURE THE MECHANICS ARE SET UP SO IT IS RESTRICTED TO BE USED ONLY FOR THE STADIUM AND YOU RUN IT THROUGH DEVELOPMENT SO IT'S TAX DEDUCTIBLE AND PROPERLY RECEIPTED. LET ME KNOW WHEN THE MECHANISM IS IN PLACE.

I think everyone's ideas are great. I am certainly not opposed to direct involvement with the athletic department. My main concern is that there is virtually no communication between the athletic dept. and those of us that want to help fund the stadium. We make donations and have no guarantee or assurance that it is being used for its intended purpose. Therefore there is no accountability. We have no idea how much money has been contributed to a "stadium fund" and when we complain about a lack of progress we have nothing to substantiate our claim.

That is why I proposed some instrument for tracking donations that would be separate from the athletic department. If we were able to compile a large enough sum we would have more leverage when making demands for construction to begin now and for more sharing of stadium plans.

Until we get organized and raise some money, we're more or less just pissing in the wind.

One of the problems is communication between the MGC and donors. Other than the annual letters thanking me for my contribution and reminding me to renew my tickets, I get almost nothing regarding plans for the future, progress being made, etc.

Maybe it will come at the "quarterly meetings" that have not taken place in at least four years.

I think everyone's ideas are great. I am certainly not opposed to direct involvement with the athletic department. My main concern is that there is virtually no communication between the athletic dept. and those of us that want to help fund the stadium. We make donations and have no guarantee or assurance that it is being used for its intended purpose. Therefore there is no accountability. We have no idea how much money has been contributed to a "stadium fund" and when we complain about a lack of progress we have nothing to substantiate our claim.

That is why I proposed some instrument for tracking donations that would be separate from the athletic department. If we were able to compile a large enough sum we would have more leverage when making demands for construction to begin now and for more sharing of stadium plans.

Until we get organized and raise some money, we're more or less just pissing in the wind.

Yes, the communication still needs improved. As far as fundraising, UNT always needs more, but we are generally a poor fanbase, ie: no big millionaires nor very many alums who are doctors, lawyers, engineers, etc with the big checkbooks.

Fundraising is critical to any athletic department and some programs have fundraising arms or foundations that make stipends to coaches salaries or needed improvements to facilities. WVU had this issue/problem with the coach that left for Michigan; part of his annual salary came from this foundation and they are suing to get part back or something to that effect. You don't want a fundraising arm to have too much power over decisions, but input = yes.

Edited by NT80

Guest GrayEagleOne

Unless it has changed recently, we have always had the power to designate where our Mean Green Club donation is to go. If we do not specify a particular sport or usage then the donation becomes "unrestricted" and may be used whereever the AD sees fit.

Folks, one way to do it would be to simply open an account at a financial institution designeted for the purposes of collecting funds for a "joint" GMG.com donation at whatever amount and time is deemed appropriate. We could set up a committee and some by-laws, etc. made up of willing GMG.com members to track record and "watch over" the funds. If no stadium program was announced within a certain amount of time, all donations could be returned to the donees.

I know this sounds easy, but am sure it is a bit more involved. I would be happy to serve as treasurer, open the account at my bank and serve on the "committee". I am sure we could meet on a somewhat regiular basis on campus...I can set up a place to meet.

Yes, there would be a bit of "faith" involved on the part of the donees, but this could work. Perhaps one of our GMG.com members is a lawyer or CPA who would want to serve also and could held draw up a "legal" document that would work as the framework and help us with whatever tax issues we might face...perhaps we just need to create a 50 C3 non-profit for the sole purpose of raising such funds. That would keep the $$$ out of the hands of the university "until" (and it will happen sooner than later) the appropriate announcements were made and enough $$$ were compiled to make that donation.

Just realize, that your donations to this program would not "count" toward Mean Green Club sttus for seat locations and other "perks" of membership. So, one would have to make certain that this program did not "reduce" donations that would otherwise go to the program. The point here is to help UNT build that new stadium, not to "punish" UNT by withholding donations.

OK...any thoughts? If you want to private message me about this please feel free. Your thoughts and suggestions welcome.