What Are The Realistic Expectations For This Season

Harry

I would like to see us beat Rice, FIU, ULL, Western, Arky St and Muts. Not saying it will be easy but I think those are our best chances. That would put us at 6-6 and would be a 4-win improvement over last year. Anything over that is gravy in my opinion.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see us beat Rice, FIU, ULL, Western, Arky St and Muts. Not saying it will be easy but I think those are our best chances. That would put us at 6-6 and would be a 4-win improvement over last year. Anything over that is gravy in my opinion.

I am going to say a minimum of 3 wins but would like to see 5 wins. I think this team will definitely improve not only offensively but defensively as well. Anything less than 3 wins would just be another rebuilding type year getting ready for year number 3 and anything more than 5 wins is definitely exceeding most if not all expectations and would be conisidered as overachieving in my eyes.

I am looking for four or five wins. We need to start having winning seasons soon. Todd Dodge can't live off of his reputation as an outstanding high school coach for much longer. Sooner or later (preferrable sooner) he will have to produce or the recruits will not continue to listen to his visions for our future.

I teetered between 5 and 6 wins, and frankly I would be ok with 5. From a recruiting and building the program perspective though, the difference between 5 and 6 wins this is huge. I think 6 wins is possible. The scary thing is I also think with a turnover here or there 3 wins is possible too. The Sun Belt is becoming a very competitive league every single year.

We lost too many to graduation from our defensive front 7 to expect .500 or better. I think 3-4 wins is probably the sweet spot for what to expect this year.

Yeah and those starters were part of a team that went 3-9 and then 2-10 the past 2 years... Im not placing blame squarely on the defense, but I think we've got good things to come.

If we only win 3-4 games next year, I would consider that to be a huge failure.

anything less than 6 wins should be considered a failure in all facets.

With DeLoach back the defense with be much better and with another year under their belt this team should be very dangerous and in every game with the exception of maybe LSU.

I don't think the improvement can be summed up with just wins and losses. Our offense was good enough to win just about every game last year. Navy was a very good team and we put up over 50 on them. The season will be judged on two things in my opinion: if we keep up the momentum of the points and lower the turnovers and if our defense crawls out from last place to a respectable 70-80 ranking. To move up 50 spots in defensive ranking in one season would be huge in my opinion. I think that if we handle those two things then the W's and L's total will take care of itself. If we win the close ones that we lost last year it will be an improvement - games like the SMU and Navy games... As long as there is steady improvement in those areas - we could win as many as 8 or 9. I still think that we have the ablility to run the Belt with the right defense. FAU and Troy both lost a lot and those were the only two teams with winning records last year. La-Mon was a 6-6 team but they just don't worry me. If the defense comes around under the direction of Deloach then we could easily be the dominant team in the Belt again.

I don't think the improvement can be summed up with just wins and losses. Our offense was good enough to win just about every game last year. Navy was a very good team and we put up over 50 on them. The season will be judged on two things in my opinion: if we keep up the momentum of the points and lower the turnovers and if our defense crawls out from last place to a respectable 70-80 ranking. To move up 50 spots in defensive ranking in one season would be huge in my opinion. I think that if we handle those two things then the W's and L's total will take care of itself. If we win the close ones that we lost last year it will be an improvement - games like the SMU and Navy games... As long as there is steady improvement in those areas - we could win as many as 8 or 9. I still think that we have the ablility to run the Belt with the right defense. FAU and Troy both lost a lot and those were the only two teams with winning records last year. La-Mon was a 6-6 team but they just don't worry me. If the defense comes around under the direction of Deloach then we could easily be the dominant team in the Belt again.

Good post, nice perspective and I totally agree. Improvement can't be characterized with just wins or losses but that's exactly what we are judged by. Wish it were more fair!!

Our offense was good enough to win just about every game last year. Navy was a very good team and we put up over 50 on them. The season will be judged on two things in my opinion: if we keep up the momentum of the points and lower the turnovers and if our defense crawls out from last place to a respectable 70-80 ranking. To move up 50 spots in defensive ranking in one season would be huge in my opinion. I think that if we handle those two things then the W's and L's total will take care of itself.

I agree.

If UNT plays any defense at all last year, that team goes 8-4. QB is settled in. Wide receivers are settled in.

Hopefully the defensive savior is able to work his magic. It will be a great season to watch as far as development goes, because this team is only going to get better, but until I see the talent/level of play has improved on the defensive side, I'm going to say 5-7 this year.

Guest 97and03

In addition, improving special teams performance, measured by average starting field position by UNT and opponent. Also, red zone efficiency and/or finishing drives. If you drive 40-60 yards but do not put points on the board, you end up with gaudy numbers but plenty of losses (see UNT 2007). If you improve those two areas AND improve the defense to just middle of the pack, you might be talking 6+ wins.

Ummm...he did rhyme. Or was there some unseen sarcasm in your response?

Good catch. I missed that one thanks to a night with the Stars. ugh.

On a serious note, I want to see concrete evidence that Dodge was the right hire for the long term. The boost in Spring Game attendance and ticket sales was a nice adrenaline shot, but more 2 - 10 seasons are just not going to cut it. It's nice to hear all the great things people are saying about him, including Parcells, but until it happens it's a "believe it when I see it" circumstance.

I think the defense will be improved by, well, default.

Offense has some things to prove, believe it or not. Our red-zone offense has a lot of room for improvement. Vizza can afford to cut down on the interceptions. Our running game could be more formidable.

Realistically? I am afraid we are 1 or 2 injuries away from a disastrous front line (already scary thin as is). Dodge may out-coach Jesus, but he can't coach size, folks.

Good catch. I missed that one thanks to a night with the Stars. ugh.

On a serious note, I want to see concrete evidence that Dodge was the right hire for the long term. The boost in Spring Game attendance and ticket sales was a nice adrenaline shot, but more 2 - 10 seasons are just not going to cut it. It's nice to hear all the great things people are saying about him, including Parcells, but until it happens it's a "believe it when I see it" circumstance.

I think the defense will be improved by, well, default.

Offense has some things to prove, believe it or not. Our red-zone offense has a lot of room for improvement. Vizza can afford to cut down on the interceptions. Our running game could be more formidable.

Realistically? I am afraid we are 1 or 2 injuries away from a disastrous front line (already scary thin as is). Dodge may out-coach Jesus, but he can't coach size, folks.

First of all, nobody can coach size like Jenna Jameson.

You'll see less interceptions as Vizza gets comfortable with the system, matures as a player both physically and mentally (making the correct decisions, reads). So I'm not really worried about that. Plus we apparently have God's son, Riley, on the bench.

I too would like to see Dodge solidify his position as the "right coach for the job". He clearly rocks the recruitment trail, just afraid the defense might take a while to catch up. Until then, I anticipate seeing more games like Navy (perhaps not to that extent, but you get the idea).

The 2006 NT team was dead. 2007 saw Coach Dodge take over, changed everything

that could be changed, recruited players to fit his offense, and had about 5 weeks to

put it all together. You know what, considering all of the challenges, the team was ever

so close to 6-6, 7-5 and possible 8-4 season. Here are 6 games that ruined the 2007 season.

I put the 2-10 season on how the defensive team was handled. The ponies escape from

our grip, FAU gets 2, count'em 2 blocked punts to destroy the NT lead, LaLa's QB runs

any where he wants to, the NT pass offense runs all over Navy's defense, while Navy's

offense runs all over our defense, Arky St gets a life saving last second TD that breaks

our hearts, and FIU does enough to win while NT could not do anything right.

That is 6 games, NT was in position to win but let the games get away each time.

Now for 2008, Coach Dodge has a team that gained valuable experience last year,

Coach DeLoach running the defense, and a ton of new talent available. Coach Dodge

and the staff now have options with personell, both offensively and defensively. Coach

Dodge will be able to implement offensive schemes that could not be used last year.

Add in a quality FG kicker too. Then add the DeLoach factor for defense. I think the

2008 defensive team will be able to actually play defense and manage the games better.

For my prediction, 6-6 easy, but I will go with 7-5, and be in the run for the the big prize,

the SBC Championship!

Harry,

It seems that you expect this to happen. I'm curious why and HOW you expect it to occur. Can you elaborate on your thinking?