What Are The Realistic Expectations For This Season

Harry

I just want to see some decent consistency on both sides of the ball. For some reason everyone assumes the offense will score points, and with the added talent at WR and possibly OL I think it could be a very productive year w/ Vizza. There were times in '07 where the offense did struggle to find consistency from week to week. Everyone knows the defense has to be better. But again, even if they struggle I would like to see some signs to maybe feel good about things in 2009. With expectations so low 5 or 6 wins would be nice....and if the team improves every week, maybe it could be a 6 or 7 win season once we get into the Fun-Belt schedule.

Let's just have our arrow pointing up next November....or December??

Edited by Green Guy Bass

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say 6-7 wins this season mainly due to improved defense and the offense with a full season under their belts. If Hollivay and Jenkins pan out I will be less concerned about the O-line.

Defense will be improved over last year even with the D-line so thin.

To me a lot of my support on 6-wins is due to Vizza. I just think this kid is special, a level of player we just haven't have at this most critical position. The other factor is DeLoach, and what he will bring to the table.

I think it boils down to just a few things:

1)Do you believe that coach Deloach's schemes and ability to make adjustments mid-game will produce better results than the schemes we saw last season? Was it, as most of us assumed, a case of having adequate talent but just putting them in the worst possible positions?

2)Do you believe that with a full year under his belt Giovanni Vizza will make less "freshman" mistakes and more of our drives will end in the end zone and not in turnovers? Will coach Dodge resist the temptation to tinker at this position and allow Vizza to be "the man" without question all Fall?

3)Do you believe the attrition we suffered along both lines can be recovered from? Will Fall be long enough for those who were out in the spring to come back and get up to speed?

4)Do you believe our kicking game is improved? Will we now be able to think about 3 points instead of knowing we have to put it in the endzone to come away with points?

5)Is three games long enough for this team to "gel"? Of the games that most of us expect are winnable, all are after the first three weeks.

6)Do you believe the Belt is about the same strength it was last season? Last season's Belt schedule was loss by 10, loss by 9, win by 10, loss by 38, loss by 20, loss by 4, win by 1 and loss by 19. If the other teams stand pat as far as strength do you believe it was just the defense that was the issue last season?

I think, with no kool-aid anywhere in my house, that I can answer most of these questions in a positive manner. 6 wins is not out of the question...neither is 8 nor is 4.

Just the fact that we won't be running a simple "man to man" - "You get him, I will get him" defense will help dramatically. Actual defensive schemes will help those guys a lot. It is tough to say how good or bad the defensive players were last year because of the way that they were coached. It was just way to simple for the college level. Now, I would have liked to see a lot more recruiting for the defensive side of the ball - but I think that the guys we have in place can win with some fundamental college D. Does anyone know what they were lining up as in the Spring Game?

Realistically? I am afraid we are 1 or 2 injuries away from a disastrous front line (already scary thin as is). Dodge may out-coach Jesus, but he can't coach size, folks.

...yeah, what he said. The spring game showed the lack of size and depth we have at DT. I love DeLoach and think we'll get it turned around. For that to happen this year, though, too many redshirts and Juco's are going to have step into major contributing roles to expect just the schemes to save us. Put DeLoach at DC with last season's senior laden defense and we have the 8-4 season that would have REALLY gotten the Dodge buzz roaring.

That said, nothing is out of the question. We have some talented redshirt freshman and JUCOs coming in that *could* be serious playmakers. To "expect" so many to be hits and not misses is getting ahead of ourselves.

That said, nothing is out of the question. We have some talented redshirt freshman and JUCOs coming in that *could* be serious playmakers. To "expect" so many to be hits and not misses is getting ahead of ourselves.

Yeah, that's my general feeling. Talent level is up. Remains to be seen how MUCH it's up. Certainly the class this year is a terrific signing class. I just think it may be this year and possibly next before UNT sees .500. I hope I'm wrong.

First of all, nobody can coach size like Jenna Jameson.

You'll see less interceptions as Vizza gets comfortable with the system, matures as a player both physically and mentally (making the correct decisions, reads). So I'm not really worried about that. Plus we apparently have God's son, Riley, on the bench.

I too would like to see Dodge solidify his position as the "right coach for the job". He clearly rocks the recruitment trail, just afraid the defense might take a while to catch up. Until then, I anticipate seeing more games like Navy (perhaps not to that extent, but you get the idea).

I read that line and can't even remember what my season prediction is. Really under-rated line.

having a good punter/kicker would help out GREATLY...

I'd say Truman's a pretty solid punter.

I'd set the bar at 6 wins, give or take 2. In my opinion this season will boil down to how big of a step forward Vizza takes this year. The defense will be vastly improved, but it they get put in many of the same situations as the group last year following untimely interceptions, it wont show as much as it should. We found out about Vizza's toughness last year, now it's time to see some improvement in decision making. Year two in a system is usually where you see what a guy's got.

7-5. Improved offense and defense. Coach TB recruited some excellent Juco players on "D" and with the addition of Coach DeLoach UNT will be much more competitive. UNT's offense will have that 1st year transition of the spread offense under their belt & the outstanding "O" freshmen will be much more improved in their 2nd year.

Look for QB Vizza to cut his INT's, at least, in half of what he threw last year & in the top 10 in the nation in passing yard.

Look for one of our backs to gain 800+ yards.

I can always tell when a football team has turned the corner, it's not in the amount of wins or losses, it's when I see them doing the little things right during the game that lead to winning football. The defense NOT giving up 3rd down penalties that keep drives alive, Making stops on 1st and 2nd down forcing the offense into 3rd and long on a consistant basis. Stopping the turnovers!!, The offense being able to put together drives and get first downs. Field position- making the opponent start form inside their 20. These are just a few examples, but the biggest difference is when you see players give that little extra, working just a bit harder than the other guys. When instead of waiting for something to happen, they MAKE something happen.

When teams start doing this, they've learned HOW to win. If that starts happening this year I think you'll see us anywhere from 5-7 wins.

Well, it is a bit early for such predictions as we have no way of knowing what injury "bug" may or may not hit UNT's already thin D-Line/O-line in the fall drills, but, if we stay healthy and get some good contribution from some of the JUCO and "newbies", I would say 6 wins is well witin reach this year. Our defense will be much improved. Improved not only from the physical sense, but from the mental side and the D-scheme side. I agree that such progress alone should be worth 7-10 points per game. Given that difference, and what I think will be an exciting offense, 6 wins is well within reach, and I would not be very surprised to see 7 wins this season!

GO MEAN GREEN...GO DODGEBALL...JOIN THE EXES...JOIN THE MEAN GREEN CLUB...BUY SEASON TICKETS...see you at the games!

Someone brought this up and I can't believe I didn't mention this in my defense of the 6-win season, but anyone who was at the spring game and saw our new field goal kicker Jeremy Knott hit that sweet 32-yarder into the wind has to feel better about our prospects there.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I realize that this is opinion and not an actual poll but it's hard to get a consensus based on what has been posted. Historically, improvement has been measured by wins and losses not by statistics. I expect to see improvements in most of the statistics. Part will be attributable to improved coaching and part to an increase in the talent level.

So, call me a cockeyed optimist but I'm predicting seven wins this season and, other than LSU, no blowout losses.

I believe games are won and lost by the guys who start the play with their hand on the ground.

A successful season is going to rely on some people playing above expectations and some transfers to be effective immediately.

Even the great Mike Pruitt took half a season to get fully up to speed.

Michael Pruitt had to change positions (from DT to NT) and that delayed his progress a bit. Man he was such a talent though. Makes you wonder what this 2008 team would be like with a front four of Adrian Awasom, Brandon Kennedy, Michael Pruitt and Darrell Daniels!!!!!! YOWZA!!!

We lost too many to graduation from our defensive front 7 to expect .500 or better. I think 3-4 wins is probably the sweet spot for what to expect this year.

--I hate to say it , but is that a bad thing??? ---remember we allowed more points that just about everyone. I know the defensive coaches were a lot at fault but a new group may have a new attitude. I may not be growling with 3-4 wins but I will not be smiling either.

I think you are setting your expectation a bit Lowe...LOL (cheap shot, sorry DL .....LOL ....... you need to visit us this year.. you would really fit in with all the Dust in West Texas this year ... almost 0.5 in. of rain since Christmas )

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66