Great Crowd At The Spring Game

SUMG

Maybe not quite as big as last year's....but not far from it.

It was a fun game to watch. Casey Fitz sat out this game, but we got to see some great catches made by other WRs.

Also, it's going to be fun watching Jamel Jackson, the return man who transferred from Northwestern State.

One more thing: The word on the street seems to be, that the next women's b-ball coach will be Shanice Stephens, the assistant from Clemson. Nothing official, but that's the opinion of many. We'll find out this week, if that's correct.

I like an aggressive defense just as much as the next guy, but I was getting occasionally pissed at our defense today. They were hitting our offensiveness players when in vulnerable positions, when the play was obviously coming to conclusion (i.e. receiver catches the ball on his knees), after the play was clearly over, etc. We're lucky that we didn't appear to have any injuries today. I mean, what are they trying to prove? That they can hurt their own teammates? Save this stuff for Kansas State.

Edited by chrisfisher

I like an aggressive defense just as much as the next guy, but I was getting occasionally pissed at our defense today. They were hitting our offensiveness players when in vulnerable positions, when the play was obviously coming to conclusion (i.e. receiver catches the ball on his knees), after the play was clearly over, etc. We're lucky that we didn't appear to have any injuries today. I mean, what are they trying to prove? That they can hurt their own teammates? Save this stuff for Kansas State.

I think I know which play specifically you are speaking of. WR caught a pass with both knees on the ground and a DB came up and popped him from behind. To me you do one of two things. Put people in red jerseys and declare them off limits or go all out. Letting up/taking it easy/trying not to hurt anyone does two things - ensures someone will get hurt because he's going half speed and the other is full speed & it prepares you to fail come game day. Practice like you're gonna play that way it becomes automatic.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Adman's right. You play like you practice. I don't condone dirty play (late hits, etc.) but I do think that the defense should play with intensity. Some of these guys are trying to earn a scholarship (or keep one) and you can't ask them to do less than their best. It's actually good for the offense because they are dealing with situations not unlike what they will be facing in a real game.

If, for reason of injury, you have to protect a player then put a red jersey on him.

I think I know which play specifically you are speaking of. WR caught a pass with both knees on the ground and a DB came up and popped him from behind. To me you do one of two things. Put people in red jerseys and declare them off limits or go all out. Letting up/taking it easy/trying not to hurt anyone does two things - ensures someone will get hurt because he's going half speed and the other is full speed & it prepares you to fail come game day. Practice like you're gonna play that way it becomes automatic.

That was one of the plays... in college football if you catch the ball on your knees the play is dead at the catch..... The defense had 2 or 3 personal fouls today... several for unnecessary roughness... You make a good argument for not holding up on a hit.... and I don't mean to make too big a deal of this. It is more about using good judgment on the defenses' part. I only hope that they are this tenacious against our opponents this season.

Edited by chrisfisher

I had a blast today. Thank you to the Talon cannon crew inviting me to be a part of the crew during the game. But later on when I went up into the stands I think I enjoyed more watching many of you all jump out of your skin when not expecting "Boomer" to fire. It was wonderful getting to see my Mean Green family again as I miss everyone during the quiet times of the year. I finally got to meet KRAM1, 97and03 and GreenLantern. It was great to finally meet up with y'all. We have the absolute best fans in the world. I loved hearing the return of that bulldog bark of Coach Gary DeLoach on the sidelines again. It didn't surprise me at all to see our defense start out stuffing the offense time and time again. It's just a matter of time until the Mean will be back into the Mean Green defense.

And finally,

Dr. Gretchen Battaille may be the coolest university prez in the country. I love seeing her at the games and talking up the Mean Green. I don't know, there's just something about Gretchen? She's definately transitioned right into the Mean Green Nation. You can tell that she has earned the respect of many people in a short time, including mine. I laughed my @ss off when I heard that she light-heartedly got onto a dude walking by wearing a tU longhorn jacket, letting him know he's got the wrong coat on. The guy embarrassingly told her that he was just visiting. I love it.

Overall a great day. August can't get her soon enough.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

my thought exactly! Are we trying to hurt some backup qb's to make room for others?

Perhaps they asked to play on it? DD used to let some players change positions in the final scrimmage to give them some fun. Or, maybe it was a practice for a good-hands return team in case of a on-side kick attempt sometime next year?

Edited by NT80

Evan Fentriss anyone?

He sat out this spring recovering from an injury, shoulder I think I heard, but not sure.

He should be ready for fall camp.

They were there to ensure cultural balance amongst the crowd.

They were there to ensure cultural balance amongst the crowd.

Heard you the first time. Did you post it nine minutes apart to make sure we got it?

Heard you the first time. Did you post it nine minutes apart to make sure we got it?

It actually was posted nine minutes apart because I posted it, read a thread, than hit the back button (which took me back to my reply) and hit the "submit post" button instead of the "mean green football" link. I was posting from my phone.

I was sitting 3 rows behiNd the president. I so the same guy (UT shirt) and started to say something, but I heard him bashfully mumbling about not knowing he was going to the game. He had just walked by and then behind her so she must have been the one to call his hand. I LOVE IT.

I too saw a dude sportin' a longhorns shirt. He was standing near gate one when I saw him. I started to say something but just as I did I looked down and noticed he had just bought a new NT shirt from the merch table set up near the gate. (I also noticed sales were fairly brisk at the merch table as well. Undoubtedly they would have been even better had they had hoodies/sweatshirts to sell. That wind made for a chilly day in the stands.