Self To Osu

filmerj

So I heard this morning on the radio that there was a report tha T. Boon Pickens Opened up his wallet to offer Bill Self 3.8 mill to go back to Okie State. Anyone else hear this? Do you leave your National Champion team to go to OKie State? What do you guys think?

It depends....OSU is his alma mater and they are offering a hell of a lot more money but he will probably try to renegotiate his current contract and weigh his options from there. June Jones did leave for money but I dont think it was nothing but money. I think he was serious that he did not see as much committment from the Hawaii program as he would have liked.

You don't usually voluntarily leave a Top 6(Indiana, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, Duke, UCLA) job unless it's to the NBA. Roy Williams left Kansas for another top 6 job...the 2nd time they asked. He turned them down in 2000 after an intense courtship. If SMU's current leader hadn't been a bust in Carolina Williams never woulda left Lawrence.

His wife was also a cheerleader at OSU. Nonetheless, what could be worse than failing at your own alma mater?

But could there be anything better than being successful at your alma mater?

Most guys at that level think they could win at New Jersey Institute of Technology if the budget were right.

As an OSU grad...yes, I graduated from OSU and UNT....And, yes, I was cheering for UNT to beat OSU this year at the Super Pit! I hope Self goes to Stillwater. OSU IS a big-time basketball school, and Self has a great deal of loyalty toward OSU...my guess is that he would not be wearing a Kansas sweater at a final 4 if OSU was in it and he was coaching at OSU...but, I digress....Lots of money will be offered to try to get him to "come home" to OSU, but I think the jury is out...he won it all at KU...what do you do for an encore there????Hard to win it back to back....Florida did it recently, but it darn hard to do....and, he may perceive a challenge to bring OSU back to the final 4...who knows, but the $$$$$ will talk long and hard. Self is currently negotiating a new deal at KU and the KU boosters are adding up big $$$$ to keep him there...

Should be interesting...we'll see!

As an OSU grad...yes, I graduated from OSU and UNT....And, yes, I was cheering for UNT to beat OSU this year at the Super Pit! I hope Self goes to Stillwater. OSU IS a big-time basketball school, and Self has a great deal of loyalty toward OSU...my guess is that he would not be wearing a Kansas sweater at a final 4 if OSU was in it and he was coaching at OSU...but, I digress....Lots of money will be offered to try to get him to "come home" to OSU, but I think the jury is out...he won it all at KU...what do you do for an encore there????Hard to win it back to back....Florida did it recently, but it darn hard to do....and, he may perceive a challenge to bring OSU back to the final 4...who knows, but the $$$$$ will talk long and hard. Self is currently negotiating a new deal at KU and the KU boosters are adding up big $$$$ to keep him there...

Honest question here because I am bored and interested, but don't you often hate pro sports because people follow the money and it's not as pure? How is this different? Discuss :)

No, I don't hate pro sports because of the money...I dislike what the money does to some of the folks involved....Coaching is a tough profession...you win it all one year and every one loves you...big raise...new contarct...then have a bad next year and they run you out of town on a rail (probably with a nice bit of $$$$, however). If Self was not an OSU grad, I would see no reason that he should or would consider leaving KU...regardless of the money...but ties to your school are strong...at least they should be...hint to some of our Mean Green grads....and with Self having played at OSU and his wife having been an OSU cheerleader, there are very strong ties to OSU. Yes, money talks...but in this case...there are "other" considerations...it is not a Roy "it's all about the money" Williams sort of thing. At least not in my mind....maybe a small difference to some, but a difference none the less.

As I said in another thread a few days back...yes OSU is a bigtime basketball school. I'd say it's one of the top 25-30 jobs in the country all factors included. And yes, Pickens U can throw endless piles of cash around. AND it's his alma mater. But Kansas is a top 6 job. I just don't see him voluntarily leaving it for another school in his own conference.

No, I don't hate pro sports because of the money...I dislike what the money does to some of the folks involved....Coaching is a tough profession...you win it all one year and every one loves you...big raise...new contarct...then have a bad next year and they run you out of town on a rail (probably with a nice bit of $$$$, however). If Self was not an OSU grad, I would see no reason that he should or would consider leaving KU...regardless of the money...but ties to your school are strong...at least they should be...hint to some of our Mean Green grads....and with Self having played at OSU and his wife having been an OSU cheerleader, there are very strong ties to OSU. Yes, money talks...but in this case...there are "other" considerations...it is not a Roy "it's all about the money" Williams sort of thing. At least not in my mind....maybe a small difference to some, but a difference none the less.

Roy Williams left Kansas for his alma mater - which was also a top 6 job(arguably higher if you really wanna rank UNC, UCLA, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, & Indiana - I tend to lump them together as THE dream jobs for most college coaches). And he'd already turned them down once a few years earlier. Honestly, I think a big part of him still resides in Lawrence(cheering in the title game for KU while his team was already back in Chapel Hill) - and always will.

Edited by CMJ

Cool - I wasn't trying to be a jerk. Just curious.

I have a big OSU booster in the office who used to work in their AD when Self was an assistant and got the ORU job. He vowed that he would be back as coach one day and they told him that he never would because Sutton hated him. If this happens, that will be an interesting dynamic (assuming Sutton stays sober.)

Well I was wrong... Looks Like he's agreed to stay..

By DOUG TUCKER

AP Sports Writer

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) - Bill Self has agreed to stay on as head

coach at Kansas, a source close to the negotiations said Thursday,

ending uncertainty about Self's future after he led the Jayhawks to

their first NCAA title in 20 years.

The source confirmed to The Associated Press that Self had

reached an agreement to stay, but asked for anonymity to avoid

upstaging an official announcement by the school.

Kansas called a 4:30 p.m. CDT news conference to talk about

Self's future. He spent much of Thursday in a closed-door meeting

with athletic director Lew Perkins discussing a contract extension.

Some quotes from Self regarding his decision:

"I couldn't see leaving this place," Self, whose Jayhawks beat Memphis for the national championship on Monday, said of KU. "This is where we want to be."

Self said he didn't want to leave Kansas in the manner he departed Tulsa and Illinois -- without enjoying the full fruits of the program's success.

Translated: KU offered me a huge pile of money, and I am just giddy about it!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3340309