Briles To Baylor

LongJim

790 AM in Houston reporting ~$1.8M/yr. :o

that's a good reason to take the job... but I still maintain Baylor is a dead-end job. you'll never compete with OU or Texas, financially or athletically. And then there's that whole A&M, Ok State, Tech things. Which means the odds of making a significant bowl game are slim. Basically it's a place where you'd be happy to just make a bowl game every now and then, while you're waiting for a bigger BCS job to open up

Good for Briles though, class guy, runs a good program.

Wow...that's the same as what Sherman is getting at Texas A&M. Good for Baylor to be putting up what's necessary to be big time in the Big XII, I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a waste of money (because of Baylor's hopless attempt to be a private school in the Big XII, not because of Briles)

The recruiting trail just got a little more narrow.

Rick

no kidding. Not to mention we are about to be surrounded by $1mil+/per coaches (assuming Patterson makes that much at TCU)

SMU has said they will pay 1.5 per

Baylor is about to pay 1.8

Lots of money being thrown around these days, and we're nowhere near ready to match any of that. Could make it hard in the future.

I wonder how long it will be before we hear the Mack is not back for the pack in Austin? Ever since Mack showed his class and refused to let the university talk him out of the moment of silence for Drew before our game down there I have respected and appreciated everyting about him. Problem is, he may be / is in a little trouble. Can you imagine the pain UT feels when they get be by "this" ATM machine??? OU is one thing, but this ATM machine is overdrawn and they still beat UT! I don't think the fans support letting Snead find a new home? The one thing that will save his Longhorn bacon is the fact that they won the ntnl title in 2005. That was the year that Young wanted to (and Mack agreed) to play his own way.

that's a good reason to take the job... but I still maintain Baylor is a dead-end job. you'll never compete with OU or Texas, financially or athletically. And then there's that whole A&M, Ok State, Tech things. Which means the odds of making a significant bowl game are slim. Basically it's a place where you'd be happy to just make a bowl game every now and then, while you're waiting for a bigger BCS job to open up

As to Baylor being a dead-end job - great insight that I had never really thought about....I guess 1.8 million though is a lot more than what he probably makes at Houston.

I was hoping the deal was done so that Dodge and Riley wouldn't go interviewing. UTEP, SMU and U of H will likely open up as the dominoes fall. Maybe RV has a deal in TD's clause that has him committed for X number of years before looking elsewhere. Let's hope so. Once Riley gets enrolled, a big sigh of relief will hit UNT.

How the did Baylor compete during the Teaff era? There is no reason Baylor shouldn't be able to compete. If they were doing things right, they should be able pick up good recruits. Someone needs to head into Waco with an attitude and change the mentallity of that program. It comes down to attitude and the expectation of winning. Briles is an exciting character that can bring some major upside to the Bears. Of course, any progress will take some time there. I like the move by the Bears.

Why would Leach leave Tech to go to Arkansas? He can win 7 or 8 a year at Tech, and they are happy with that. Do that at Arkansas, and they want your head on the chopping block.

At Tech, he is running 3rd string in Texas. At Ark, he would have the "whole hog" (state) to himself and his program.

Baylor message board is reporting that BU officials met with Briles in Dallas today and will be announced as BU coach in "a couple days" because he wants to wait and see if the Texas Tech job opens up, he'd prefer it. Leach rumored to be sought by Arkansas.

Have I missed something here? Like there even being an opening for a HFC at Arkansas for starters? :blink:

GMG!

BEAT FIU ! ! !

Why would Leach leave Tech to go to Arkansas? He can win 7 or 8 a year at Tech, and they are happy with that. Do that at Arkansas, and they want your head on the chopping block.

There are two more really good reasons.

1. College football coaches have HUGE egos and want the next challenege and nothing is too tough for them.

2. The more likely reason. MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure, but I would expect he gets probably double what he makes now. Is there anyone on this board that would turn down a job with a different company if it paid double? I think not.

Yes, Ark coach Nutt was ousted at UA and hired already as the coach of Ole Miss. Where have you been, keep up! :rolleyes:

I'm so embarrassed... :(:P

Anyone else remember when UNT Coach Hayden Fry turned down an SWC HFC's job offer because he said: "I have a better job in Denton." (?)

Lets get back to those days once again when we have a UNT HFC who says he has a better job in Denton than any of the Texas-based CUSA school's locales, eh? :thumbsup:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen