Unified Chant

FirefightnRick

There's a discussion on the basketball board about how we needed a quick strike, unified chant that's easy to do, readily done and has a quick beginning and an end unlike the tired out "NORTH TEXAS" chant. In giving some examples as to what I've been trying to get our university leadership to get behind the past 5 or more years I found some great examples on youtube.com and here's some of the New York Jets Fireman Ed leading the way. There's two posts of Ed. Check them out. In the example below you can hear Casey and the Sunshine Band's "That's the Way" playing, yet when Ed starts the chant the PA folks shut the music off. Then because this is so well controlled from the beginning being SIGNALLED, that Ed waits until the PA makes an announcment of who the kicker is, and then starts the chant again. Very simple and controlled, very quick, very loud and very affective. Imagine if we had something like this last night in the Super Pit with 3 to 5,000 Mean Green Nation members doing it in unison at any time during the game?

Below is the link to the thread.

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.ph...7751&st=15#

And below is the link to one of the best examples on YouTube.

GO! MEAN! GREEN! EAGLES! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

FFR, I like your suggestion: GO! MEAN! GREEN! EAGLES! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

It is synchronous with the fight song's: U! N! T! EAGLES! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! - pretty much in same cadence. The band could easily get plugged in if they wanted to add to the chant, but not required.

I agree, we need a great chant like this. I still remember the Memphis Tigers chant at NO Bowl. Another great example. I love the North-Texas chant, but we definitely need something to fill in the void.

It just occurs to me that GO! MEAN! GREEN! EAGLES! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! is too many words. I just fear people will resist it. The chant has to be uber-simple.

So why not just steal the Philadelphia Eagles' E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES chant? Why not? Hell, either they or the Jets stole the idea from the other. Can you imagine both sides of the Super Pit or Fouts spelling that out in unison? It has a natural rhythm and an greater impact, and there's nothing to learn or memorize.

Maybe GMG and the Pit Crew can get this going. It occurs to me that this has to be a groundswell effort, that it can't come from the athletic department or the cheerleaders.

At the next football game, we need to get at least 100 people, organized through GMG, to agree to do the chant. Hopefully get 100 on the alumn in the middle sections, to make a bigger noise impact. At the game, talk to those around you, explain what we're doing, ask them to join in. We actually schedule the first chant, between the first and second quarters. Maybe FFR, with his easy to spot helmet, can be our Fireman Ed and lead it. Stand up, hold up your arms, then we start: E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! Then repeat it a couple of times. Do it a few more times during the game, during timeouts and especially at the start of the fourth quarter.

Get the Pit Crew on board. I'll bet they would run with it at the basketball games, since they're already densely packed in their corner. It would really be impressive in the Pit. They do it all season and maybe it will spread from there.

That way there is one chant - and only one - to learn. One chant for football, basketball, softball, soccer, whatever.

It is synchronous with the fight song's: U! N! T! EAGLES! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! - pretty much in same cadence. The band could easily get plugged in if they wanted to add to the chant, but not required.

I agree, we need a great chant like this. I still remember the Memphis Tigers chant at NO Bowl. Another great example. I love the North-Texas chant, but we definitely need something to fill in the void.

Or we could just do what we do in the fight song - U...N...T...Eagles!! U! N! T! Eagles FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Or just do the second, faster moving, part. At any rate, it's something everybody already knows.

Or we could just do what we do in the fight song - U...N...T...Eagles!! U! N! T! Eagles FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! Or just do the second, faster moving, part. At any rate, it's something everybody already knows.

Yes....as far as easy to do and least resistance, this is the best idea. My 3 year old daughter can already handle doing this....so it CAN'T be too hard to say/remember for college students/alums.

How About

GO

GREEN

GO

WHITE

GO

N

T

or

GO

GREEN

GO

WHITE

U

N

T

Seven syllables, quick and to the point. Do it three times and stop.

Do it six or seven times during a game.

Edited by GreenBat

Again i ask... WHY are we spelling Eagles? We are the Mean Green. Alot of posters here bitch and moan about being called the Eagles on TV coverage, or Norm calling us NTSU. WHY ENCOURAGE THEM? I am all for a chant but not one that repeatedly says the thing many bitch about.

Because we are also the Eagles. Our logo is an eagle. The talon hand gesture is an eagle talon. When you go to meangreensports.com you hear an eagle scream. We're both.

And nothing short of a lobotomy is going to keep guys like Norm from calling us NTSU.

I don't object to the other chant combinations lack a natural pace or rhythm. Spelling EAGLES or JETS, or Arkansas's pig-souie yell, have a muscial rhythym that the other combinations simply do not have.

And as easy as they are, they still have to be memorized. I just don't think fans are going to do that, as evidenced by the past struggles.

It just occurs to me that GO! MEAN! GREEN! EAGLES! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! is too many words. I just fear people will resist it. The chant has to be uber-simple.

So why not just steal the Philadelphia Eagles' E-A-G-L-E-S-EAGLES chant? Why not? Hell, either they or the Jets stole the idea from the other. Can you imagine both sides of the Super Pit or Fouts spelling that out in unison? It has a natural rhythm and an greater impact, and there's nothing to learn or memorize.

But, don't you see? That is the beauty of GO! MEAN! GREEN! EAGLES! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

I still like the Eagles chant. But, I really like sticking with Mean Green. Just like "Roll Tide".

I was referencing the second, faster moving part. If we could get this to stick, that would work too. It is not really that hard to work in the MEAN GREEN chant instead of the current fight song and it gives a little bit of variety. Who knows. Some folks have suggested working Mean Green into the fight song. This is the perfect replacement. Still have UNT and Mean Green and Eagles. Genius! New fight song! :P

We need to get this done for Western Ken. Anyone from the pit crew here who could try and get it done this saturday at the basketball game. Not sure what kind of turnout that will be but it would be a nice time to try it out. By the time the UTA game gets here we'll have it down.

I lilke many of the suggestions but I still say we should stick to what we know and that's something with "GO MEAN GREEN" in it since that's basically been our moniker for many many years.

GO MEAN GREEN EAGLES FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT.

Rick

The trick to makeing a succesful sports chant is letting everyone know it's coming and having a definitive END!

During the tournament last year, Memphis signaled their chant with a heavy, menacing drum beat.

BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOMBOOM!

<PAUSE>

BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOMBOOM!

<PAUSE>

M - E - M - P - H - I - S - TIGERS!

I'm always more of a fan of chants after big plays, or taunting the opponent. e.g. "IN-COM-PLETE" at Mile High, or "Nice Shot!" after missed free throws. My suggestion would be after a big stop, QB sack, huge play, dunk, whatever...

Cheerleader with megaphone (or the crowd themselves): "WHAT WAS THAT?"

"THE MEAN GREEN!"

Repeat as necessary.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Only we're not the eagles so we should leave that part out.

Only we're not the eagles so we should leave that part out.

I'm sorry...is Auburn's biggest cheer not "War Eagle" even though they're TIGERS.

What about Georgia Tech - whose fight song references the "Rambin Wreck" - even though they're Yellow Jackets.

Eagles are who we are just as much as MG.