Meager, Daniel 5 205 17 1088 1105 221.0

Thomas, Jamario 6 58 280 0 280 46.7

Mosley, Micah 7 55 268 0 268 38.3

Montgomery, Cam 3 3 7 0 7 2.3

Cox, Deavin 7 1 1 0 1 0.1

TEAM 4 1 -23 0 -23 -5.8

Total.......... 7 560 673 2087 2760 394.3

Opponents...... 7 519 1543 2106 3649 521.3

Ok, lets breakdown how we started the season and where we are now with our skilled players and look at the changes that the coaching staff changed to improve our chances to win!

Meager plays OU plays 2 ½ quarters, SMU, FAU and 2 quarters at ARK with the flu.

Vizza plays OU plays 1 quarter against 3 and 4th team, ARK 2 quarters, LaLa and ULM, which have to have 2 of the worst defense in the Belt, Defense won the ULM game and defense tried to help win the Troy game, Troy -first true test as a starter.

The board has been very vocal about Meager and Vizza, always love the new guy especially if the veteran players first two years were loosing seasons. Well this year is going to be a loosing season and you don't want blame the QB because he is a true freshman and he gets a pass, right? Meager didn’t get a pass his red shirt freshman year when he started after having shoulder surgery 5 months earlier. He was blamed for last season and didn’t even play in the first two games, a few series in the next three games and didn’t one of them being the FIU overtime and he didn’t come in until the end of the 4th quarter and tied the game with a pass and a two point conversion run, played part of the Troy game we almost won and didn’t play the last game of the season. You want the freshman you raised cane on this board to get him and now you have him. I am sure he is a good kid and an average QB but he is a freshman and should not be going through this, this is not learning this is brutal, but wait, if Dodge let Meager play this year and continues to average the same yardage and completion percentage or better, since we are into Sunbelt play, then how could he let Riley start next year? That might be a little harder to explain. He explains everything so well and it doesn’t really matter what he says most people just believe what he says because he his Todd Dodge. Wake up guys. Dodge will play Riley next year, Vizza will be out, because they will explain Riley “gives them the best chance to win”, remember that phrase, that was the excuse he gave for starting Vizza after stating Meager was the starter for the year. Dodge I am sure has a five year plan, he charts and sets goals for everything it seems so I am sure he has a five year plan for himself and this year is the set up year for Riley. He plays 4 years and then they get to move on to another bigger school and Riley gets to become an assistant coach and he gets Bobby Bowden World at another university. If he isn’t successful enough here to move on then Riley will help him as an assistant at UNT until something else comes along. Rick V signed his contract, I believe a 5 year deal so he gets to retire at the end of his contract or move on to another school. Hopefully what UNT will get out of all this is a new stadium, but I am not holding my breath on that. Make no mistake the intentions of our new head coach. When he talks about family, the only one he is interested in is his own. The current players, Seniors and Juniors, for the most part, went to New Orleans, played or were on the team with Scott Hall and Patrick Cobb and won the Sun Belt Conference. They have experienced winning, they know what it takes. Now you can argue Dodge and his staff know what it takes because they have so many championships in high school. Well D1 football isn’t high school although I believe Dodge thought the Sunbelt conference was close to what he played in the champion games in high school. He under estimated the competition and over estimated his abilities to prepare this team and you guys will blame the lack of talent and let’s just wait on his players. Most of the seniors and juniors on this team were the highest rated class every for UNT so the reason they are on the bench is not because they can’t play better than the freshman, it is because they can and he can’t have that it works against his long term plan. The best players should be on the field and a lot of them are sitting the bench being replaced by freshman who should have been red shirted to build for the future. Believe in Dodge, In Dodge We Trust, you gave him everything he needed to put his plan into place and now he is executing this great plan. You may not feel bad for the current players that have stuck with UNT, didn’t transfer, went to class, got their grades, have done everything they were asked to do to fulfill their end of the deal, well you should. They are the tragedy in all this. They have become the step children in the Dodge family circle.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting post.

I agree with your QB assessment. I haven't been that impressed with Vizza - I don't find him to be any better than Meager to be honest. He's as good. He has a better long ball, doesn't float long passes, which was Meager's biggest problem, but Meager seemed to be more accurate.

...I don't think I can get on board with the rest of your statement however. If Riley starts next year, I believe it WILL be because he is our best option, not because he is the Coach's kid. ...and the people and players that work with and play for coach Dodge can't all be wrong. We would have to have been snowed in the most elaborate and well executed scam if Dodge wasn't what was presented to us, because the message of "who this guy is" was loud and clear from many diverse sources from day one. ...His ability to build a good College level program and staff remains to be seen, but I think the signs are there and are positive.

I wouldn't be so quick to throw this guy under the bus personally simply because we've lost 6 games.

Critique the football, but don't attack people personally.

Off the University of North Texas website

Believe in Dodge, In Dodge We Trust, you gave him everything he needed to put his plan into place and now he is executing this great plan. You may not feel bad for the current players that have stuck with UNT, didn’t transfer, went to class, got their grades, have done everything they were asked to do to fulfill their end of the deal, well you should. They are the tragedy in all this. They have become the step children in the Dodge family circle.

Jeesh? I know we are losing, but what a rant? As for giving Todd Dodge a free-ride for this season, the answer is "nothing is free". Forget all the hype, and the high school records... this guy has already done more for UNT than we could ever have paid for? Season tickets - up, contributions to the Mean Green Club - up, passing yards and offensive production - up...etc. I'm not saying Todd Dodge is a God, but let's be realistic? If not Dodge, then who do you hire that gets us what we have now, and plays mostly seniors? We just got rid of a head coach who did that. Your worried about the treatment of the seniors?, there are plenty of them playing this season under Coach Dodge. I talk to Isaac Thomas and Blake Burruss, and they have no issues with Coach Dodge? Brandon Jackson, Big-MO Holman, Brandon Monroe... I see lots of seniors out there? I think the philosophy TD came here with was to put his best players on the field. I dont know who you are talking to, but it appears we have the best guys out there playing. (I have to admit I would like to see Colt Mahan's ability out there a little more, but he's not a senior?)

Now we touch on the Giovanni Vizza versus Meager point you made. I dont know of many people who didnt back Danny as the starter. But again, let's be realists. Danny had his chances and struggled. I think Meager is a great guy, and he does have lots of skill... but we put our trust in Todd Dodge to get us to the title, and hopefully a conference change in the future. No matter who he plays there will be a selection of people who doubt his decision. Anyone who watches Giovanni Vizza play sees the tremendous upside to that kid, and the fact that Todd Dodge wants him in there is enough for me. I dont know where Riley Dodge fits this thing when he gets here, but let's deal with that when he actually gets here? For now, we have to decide whether or not to back this program. It's easy to be a fan when we are cheering in New Orleans... show this team you can be there when things are not so good.

We are 1-6... Homecoming is Saturday. The biggest difference in this team is the head coach. They will fight until the last second of the last game, and will never quit on us. Let's not quit on them...regardless of what you think of the coach.

Just an opinion...

GMG!!!

Off the University of North Texas website

PASSING GP Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yds TD Lng Avg/G

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Meager, Daniel 5 115.73 107-169-8 63.3 1088 4 66 217.6

Vizza, Giovanni 5 106.61 85-162-8 52.5 999 6 99 199.8

Stickler, Brock 7 0.00 0-1-0 0.0 0 0 0 0.0

Total.......... 7 110.94 192-332-16 57.8 2087 10 99 298.1

Opponents...... 7 150.65 150-248-8 60.5 2106 19 74 300.9

TOTAL OFFENSE G Plays Rush Pass Total Avg/G

---------------------------------------------------

Vizza, Giovanni 5 236 123 999 1122 224.4

Meager, Daniel 5 205 17 1088 1105 221.0

Thomas, Jamario 6 58 280 0 280 46.7

Mosley, Micah 7 55 268 0 268 38.3

Montgomery, Cam 3 3 7 0 7 2.3

Cox, Deavin 7 1 1 0 1 0.1

TEAM 4 1 -23 0 -23 -5.8

Total.......... 7 560 673 2087 2760 394.3

Opponents...... 7 519 1543 2106 3649 521.3

Ok, lets breakdown how we started the season and where we are now with our skilled players and look at the changes that the coaching staff changed to improve our chances to win!

Meager plays OU plays 2 ½ quarters, SMU, FAU and 2 quarters at ARK with the flu.

Vizza plays OU plays 1 quarter against 3 and 4th team, ARK 2 quarters, LaLa and ULM, which have to have 2 of the worst defense in the Belt, Defense won the ULM game and defense tried to help win the Troy game, Troy -first true test as a starter.

The board has been very vocal about Meager and Vizza, always love the new guy especially if the veteran players first two years were loosing seasons. Well this year is going to be a loosing season and you don't want blame the QB because he is a true freshman and he gets a pass, right? Meager didn’t get a pass his red shirt freshman year when he started after having shoulder surgery 5 months earlier. He was blamed for last season and didn’t even play in the first two games, a few series in the next three games and didn’t one of them being the FIU overtime and he didn’t come in until the end of the 4th quarter and tied the game with a pass and a two point conversion run, played part of the Troy game we almost won and didn’t play the last game of the season. You want the freshman you raised cane on this board to get him and now you have him. I am sure he is a good kid and an average QB but he is a freshman and should not be going through this, this is not learning this is brutal, but wait, if Dodge let Meager play this year and continues to average the same yardage and completion percentage or better, since we are into Sunbelt play, then how could he let Riley start next year? That might be a little harder to explain. He explains everything so well and it doesn’t really matter what he says most people just believe what he says because he his Todd Dodge. Wake up guys. Dodge will play Riley next year, Vizza will be out, because they will explain Riley “gives them the best chance to win”, remember that phrase, that was the excuse he gave for starting Vizza after stating Meager was the starter for the year. Dodge I am sure has a five year plan, he charts and sets goals for everything it seems so I am sure he has a five year plan for himself and this year is the set up year for Riley. He plays 4 years and then they get to move on to another bigger school and Riley gets to become an assistant coach and he gets Bobby Bowden World at another university. If he isn’t successful enough here to move on then Riley will help him as an assistant at UNT until something else comes along. Rick V signed his contract, I believe a 5 year deal so he gets to retire at the end of his contract or move on to another school. Hopefully what UNT will get out of all this is a new stadium, but I am not holding my breath on that. Make no mistake the intentions of our new head coach. When he talks about family, the only one he is interested in is his own. The current players, Seniors and Juniors, for the most part, went to New Orleans, played or were on the team with Scott Hall and Patrick Cobb and won the Sun Belt Conference. They have experienced winning, they know what it takes. Now you can argue Dodge and his staff know what it takes because they have so many championships in high school. Well D1 football isn’t high school although I believe Dodge thought the Sunbelt conference was close to what he played in the champion games in high school. He under estimated the competition and over estimated his abilities to prepare this team and you guys will blame the lack of talent and let’s just wait on his players. Most of the seniors and juniors on this team were the highest rated class every for UNT so the reason they are on the bench is not because they can’t play better than the freshman, it is because they can and he can’t have that it works against his long term plan. The best players should be on the field and a lot of them are sitting the bench being replaced by freshman who should have been red shirted to build for the future. Believe in Dodge, In Dodge We Trust, you gave him everything he needed to put his plan into place and now he is executing this great plan. You may not feel bad for the current players that have stuck with UNT, didn’t transfer, went to class, got their grades, have done everything they were asked to do to fulfill their end of the deal, well you should. They are the tragedy in all this. They have become the step children in the Dodge family circle.

This guy thinks you're exactly right.

http://www.blueharvest.net/images/closeups/emperor.jpg

Great post MedPilot!

Now on to KBJ's dumbass post:

Yeah the board has been very vocal about Daniel Meager vs. Giovanni Vizza...I don't think there's any doubt who helps our team more. Not because he's the new guy, or the freshman promised to lead us to a BCS title game. No, Vizza does give us the best chance to win. He's the type of guy a team rallies around. He may be the toughest guy on the field, which is a good thing for your QB to be.

How can you predict that Dodge will start Riley next year over Giovanni Vizza? That's a joke. You firmly believe that Todd Dodge will blatantly play his son because he's his son...that is RIDICULOUS! You've obviously never coached. Any coach has a harder time playing his son than the other kid. His son better be CLEAR CUT better than the other boy. Shame on you for questioning Todd Dodge's character! There's no reasoning behind your prediction (besides being an idiot) other than you being someone who had unrealistic expectations for a new coach and staff and have been disappointed with the performance thus far.

I guarantee Dodge does have a 5 year plan. It has been and will continue to be productive in placing North Texas football back on the map. In that 5 year plan he plans to instill values and character throughout the program. He wants to build young men. He plans to help kids get to the next level. He plans to graduate his athletes. He plans to play an exciting brand of football. He plans to recruit the best kids possible for North Texas. He plans to help build a new stadium. He plans to energize fan support and enhance donations. The list goes on and on....but you can get the point.

I HIGHLY doubt that he has any plans to go anywhere else at this point. He is going to build this thing and have his stamp on it, kind of how he re-surged Southlake Carroll. I am sure him and Riley have talked (maybe) about coaching together at some point...but so what? There's a ton of aspiring, young coaches out there. Saying that his statements about family that he makes to the team are concerned with his own personal family of him, his wife, and 2 kids are extremely ignorant and downright rude.

Go talk to the players, and people who have been around the program under Dickey and under Dodge. There's no comparison in what those people say.

We all know this year hasn't been great...but who honestly thought it would. If you expected .500 or better your expectations were out of sight. Our schedule has been extremely tough. The conference has significantly improved. We are learning new offensive, defensive, and special teams' systems.

KBJ, you're post was ignorant and downright rude. I feel you should apologize to Coach Dodge for questioning his integrity and putting Riley in the middle of your idiotic statements. You aren't man enough to do it, but you should think about it. It'd be the right thing to do.

Hey KBJ, The problem is not Meager vs. Vizza vs. Riley.

The problem is we are getting schooled. The staff is learning at warp speed and it is obvious that this staff may need more than two seasons, Riley starting next season or not.

I'll still take the 18 year old over the 22 or 23 year old any day of the week and twice on Saturdays. Vizza's got more heart, talent and leadership than a guy that has been on campus for four years. You have to be blind not to see that. Vizza has a competiveness that Meager has never shown. Not ever. Vizza may never get it done. That is cool with me.

Riley may eventually start next season and that is great. But Meager will never establish himself as the leader of this team again. Better get used to that KBJ. That is in concrete. Dodge has put Meager on the shelf.

Now if Meager has balls and the heart to keep playing, he would do, what so many others have done, and align himself with a great AA program and prove TD wrong. Just like Dustin Long or like Josh McCown did.

Edited by nautique

Now we touch on the Giovanni Vizza versus Meager point you made. I dont know of many people who didnt back Danny as the starter. But again, let's be realists. Danny had his chances and struggled. I think Meager is a great guy, and he does have lots of skill... but we put our trust in Todd Dodge to get us to the title, and hopefully a conference change in the future. No matter who he plays there will be a selection of people who doubt his decision. Anyone who watches Giovanni Vizza play sees the tremendous upside to that kid, and the fact that Todd Dodge wants him in there is enough for me. I dont know where Riley Dodge fits this thing when he gets here, but let's deal with that when he actually gets here? For now, we have to decide whether or not to back this program. It's easy to be a fan when we are cheering in New Orleans... show this team you can be there when things are not so good.

GMG!!!

Meager was asked to complete 63% of his passes, avg 350 per game, distribute the ball. What part of that did he not do? This is exactly what Dodge said more than once in every interview he did. He changed QBs before LaLa to give the team a spark. I haven't seen the spark personally. I have nothing against Vizza but he isn't fast enough to be a running QB and his percentage and numbers are all below what the requirement was for the starting QB. Riley Dodge will be the starting QB next year.

As far as supporting and backing this team I will cheer for them and back them every game win or loose in Denton and New Orleans, the players can't help the hand they have been dealt. My disappointment is with the coaching staff and I was never on board with this hire but thought I would give it a chance. Six games into the season my gut was right and the coaches words are just that words, they have no value at this point.

Talking to current players on the team and asking them their thoughts you will never have them say a bad thing about their current coach. It isn't good form Not speaking for the guys you mentioned but what else are they suppose to say. Everybody thought Charlie Weiss at ND was the savior of the program and he had three players transfer and then explained why, coach lied.

I believe that this is Daniel Meager's fourth year at North Texas. I hope he is able to get his degree in May or August and move on with whatever is next in his life. I agree with those who believe that he will remain a back up quarterback as long as there is not a serious injury to the starter. That would not sound like any fun to me.

That was a great post MedPilot !

"this guy has already done more for UNT than we could ever have paid for? Season tickets - up, contributions to the Mean Green Club "

BINGO !!! TD has jumpstarted a dead program. The recovery signs are all there. The wins and losses will come, but it is way too early. Enjoy watching the team come together over the next couple of seasons.

That was a great post MedPilot !

"this guy has already done more for UNT than we could ever have paid for? Season tickets - up, contributions to the Mean Green Club "

BINGO !!! TD has jumpstarted a dead program. The recovery signs are all there. The wins and losses will come, but it is way too early. Enjoy watching the team come together over the next couple of seasons.

And DD took it from what 800 Tickets to avg. 14,500

Now if Meager has balls and the heart to keep playing, he would do, what so many others have done, and align himself with a great AA program and prove TD wrong. Just like Dustin Long or like Josh McCown did.

Lay off the personal attacks on any player. That is way f-ing out of bounds.

If Meager left this program, some a-hole would attack him quiting on the team. So he's damned if leaves and damned if he stays.

Maybe you don't like the results. I guarantee that neither does he. But he's played his f-ing guts out. He's battled through injuries, battled through coaching changes, and given his all. Is he a great player? Maybe not, but I haven't heard a word out of him since he got benched. He's taken it like a man and he's still there to be the team's backup. I'm not saying give him back the starter's job, but I am saying that Daniel Meager damned well deserves a little more respect from the likes of North Texas fans, whose immaturity, impatience, and rudeness is starting to wear a thin.

The board has been very vocal about Meager and Vizza, always love the new guy especially if the veteran players first two years were loosing seasons. Well this year is going to be a loosing season and you don't want blame the QB because he is a true freshman and he gets a pass, right?

You lost me at loosing.

Talking to current players on the team and asking them their thoughts you will never have them say a bad thing about their current coach. It isn't good form Not speaking for the guys you mentioned but what else are they suppose to say.

Give me a freaking break. What a cop-out. You make bold statements, then follow-up with this nugget?

My disappointment is with the coaching staff and I was never on board with this hire but thought I would give it a chance. Six games into the season my gut was right and the coaches words are just that words, they have no value at this point.

My disappointment is with you. I thought I would give you a chance after the post to start this thread, but then you used "loose/loosing" in the place of lose/losing twice, and threw up a second post that equalled the first in moronic proportions. My gut was right after the first post, you, sir, are an idiot.

Thanks KBJ for having the guts to post what you did. Other than you. FFR John Denver and a few others, everyone else on this board wants to throw the players that have been here for 4 and 5 years under the bus or out of the program. You people have no idea what these guys have been through since they came to North Texas. I can tell you the last couple of years for these guys have been really rough. They expected a new coach and coaching staff to come in here and things to be different.

Well, guess what, the faces have changed but the actions are the same.

If any of you question them about the program, they aren't going to tell you what goes on behind the scenes. They are going to smile and tell you things are great. These players are men and they are handling situations like MEN. So many of these guys have done everything they have been asked to do by the previous coaching staff and this one. They go to class, they make good grades, they don't get in trouble, they try to be examples for the younger guys, they don't complain, they have played through injuries and they have been 2, 3 and 4 year starters. And guess what. They are riding the bench without any explanation as to why. And again, I say, walk up to any of them and ask them about Dodge or the coaching staff or the program and they will smile and having nothing but nice things to say.

And stop calling them Dickey's boys. Go back and read their bios. They were the best in their UIL districts too. But these young men are not Dickey's boys or Dodge's boys. They are the University of North Texas football players. They came to play football for the University of North Texas not a coach. They came to the University of North Texas to get a good education, go out into the real world and come back one day and be fans and support their university.

After listening to the way so called fans on this board bash players, if I were these players, I wouldn't come back and I wouldn't give a dime of my money to North Texas.

Thanks KBJ for having the guts to post what you did. Other than you. FFR John Denver and a few others, everyone else on this board wants to throw the players that have been here for 4 and 5 years under the bus or out of the program. You people have no idea what these guys have been through since they came to North Texas. I can tell you the last couple of years for these guys have been really rough. They expected a new coach and coaching staff to come in here and things to be different.

Well, guess what, the faces have changed but the actions are the same.

If any of you question them about the program, they aren't going to tell you what goes on behind the scenes. They are going to smile and tell you things are great. These players are men and they are handling situations like MEN. So many of these guys have done everything they have been asked to do by the previous coaching staff and this one. They go to class, they make good grades, they don't get in trouble, they try to be examples for the younger guys, they don't complain, they have played through injuries and they have been 2, 3 and 4 year starters. And guess what. They are riding the bench without any explanation as to why. And again, I say, walk up to any of them and ask them about Dodge or the coaching staff or the program and they will smile and having nothing but nice things to say.

And stop calling them Dickey's boys. Go back and read their bios. They were the best in their UIL districts too. But these young men are not Dickey's boys or Dodge's boys. They are the University of North Texas football players. They came to play football for the University of North Texas not a coach. They came to the University of North Texas to get a good education, go out into the real world and come back one day and be fans and support their university.

After listening to the way so called fans on this board bash players, if I were these players, I wouldn't come back and I wouldn't give a dime of my money to North Texas.

And the internet rumor starts again. Please go to USU and cheer on your favorite ball coach.

A new coach comes in wants to play the players who are better for the system, in the spread unfortunately running game players do not fit overly well. Quit bashing the coaches, seeing as how you do not want the players to be bashed.

I think that this whole thing is very interesting. It seems to me that the growing pains of our program are starting to hit home. We all wanted greatness when TD stepped in and we all said that we were willing to wait for it, but it is being more difficult than we thought it would be. The pain of LOSING 6 games already is getting a little annoying and frustrating. Therefor we are all looking for a scapegoat, coaches, players, fans, etc... It seems to me that when a coaching staff changes, and a philosophy changes as drastically as the one here at my beloved alma mata, then some of the players brought in to fit the previous system may have lost a little of their usefullness.

Example for a music school, Just because Stevie Ray Vaugn was one of the best, if not the best BLUES guitarist does not mean that he is going to be one of the best CLASSICAL guitarists. Styles change and therefor so must personell. It is not intended to be a slap in the face for the older crop of players, it is simply trying to field the best team possible in a less than desirable situation.

We are all here supporting the same team. We may not all agree on the decisions that are made or the people that are being played but we are all here for the same reason, to support our team and our school. We can, and should, debate what is going on. That is the best way to enact change and to be a part of something, but personal attacks towards anyone is childish and unproductive. Meager and all the other non freshman players all are here for an education and all play their hearts out, that should never be questioned.

The same goes for the coaching staff. Questioning their heart and integrity is petty, childish and non productive. And frankly IMHO a slap in the face to the Mean Green Faithful world wide.

my .02