Unt Enrollment: 34,268

NT80

I believe this also makes UNT 3rd in the state behind only uT and atM in undergrad enrollment....

September 13, 2007

UNT's enrollment climbs 2.5 percent

DENTON (UNT), Texas -- University of North Texas enrollment climbed to another all-time high of 34,268 students - an increase of 2.5 percent, or 825 students, according to the unofficial headcount on the 2007 Fall census date (12th class day).

Importantly, the semester credit hour average increased 4.1 percent among undergraduates and 3.9 percent overall, which means UNT's students clearly are on the path to completing their degrees as they are taking larger class loads.

"UNT's commitment to its students really is all about ensuring that each of them earns a degree because the point of going to college is to graduate, not simply to enroll," President Gretchen M. Bataille said. "We made a concerted effort on campus during the past year to educate our students about the benefits of graduating on time, in four years when possible. Our increased class load numbers indicate those efforts made a difference. We are committed to the success of the increasing number of talented students who are making UNT their first choice."

This is the seventh consecutive year UNT has posted a new all-time high enrollment - and it is the 11th consecutive year that UNT enrollment has increased. Last year, UNT enrolled 33,443 students in the fall term. The university's enrollment surpassed 30,000 students for the first time in 2002.

New minority students account for much of the growth this fall. UNT's African-American enrollment increased 8.4 percent from 3,989 to 4,326, while Hispanic enrollment increased 5.6 percent from 3,622 to 3,824. African American students represent 12.6 percent of UNT's total student population and Hispanic students represent 11.2 percent of the total number of students. Enrollments increased for Asian (7.6 percent) and Native American (3.9 percent) students as well.

UNT's total undergraduate enrollment is up 2.7 percent from 26,672 in Fall 2006 to 27,319 this fall. Graduate enrollment also increased 1.5 percent, or 104 students.

On-site 2007 fall census date enrollment at the UNT Dallas Campus also reached an all time high with a headcount of 1,876 students. That figure represents a 22 percent increase over the 12th class day headcount of 1,538 in Fall 2006.

But most important for the Dallas campus is its increase in student full-time equivalent enrollment. The campus reached 815.4 full-time equivalents, a 32.2 percent increase over the Fall 2006 figure of 616.7.

Under Texas state law, the UNT Dallas Campus will earn free-standing status and can become the University of North Texas at Dallas when student full-time equivalent enrollment exceeds 1,000. Reaching that milestone also will release additional state funding for further development of the campus.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

Reaching that milestone also will release additional state funding for further development of the campus.

It will also release the jaguar or panther or ocelot or whatever that thing is.

Importantly, the semester credit hour average increased 4.1 percent among undergraduates and 3.9 percent overall, which means UNT's students clearly are on the path to completing their degrees as they are taking larger class loads.

We had no choice!! They started the 15-hour flat tuition rate this semester. Now if only they would schedule the damn classes we need to graduate, we'd get out of there!

One of my senior level classes is being offered only on Tue/Thu at 11:00am next semester... way to accomodate working adults!

I think the goal is 40K. That should be the goal for the new stadium too. :D

I disagree. 40,000 should be the starting point and not the goal.

What Division 1 school has a stadium with less seating capacity than it's enrollment? Doesn't every successful program have a stadium that seats roughly twice as many as the school's enrollment?

Why should North Texas be the exception?

Plan for success, and then make it happen.

Guest JohnDenver

South Florida that I know of. They have 44K students and though they play at Raymond James Stadium - the upper deck is closed. I believe the lower deck seats about 40K.

They isn't really accurate. USF has five campuses for their 44k.

http://www.usf.edu/campuses.html

That is like UT claiming they have 200k students.

Not all systems are set up like Texas systems, so it is hard to compare apples-apples.

We had no choice!! They started the 15-hour flat tuition rate this semester. Now if only they would schedule the damn classes we need to graduate, we'd get out of there!

One of my senior level classes is being offered only on Tue/Thu at 11:00am next semester... way to accomodate working adults!

THANK YOU! You beat me to the punch. We had no choice in the matter, I had to postpone graduation for a semester because of that mess. <_<

Guest GrayEagleOne

If we are third largest in undergraduate enrollment then we are the third largest. Our graduate school has more than 1,700 students than UH.

However, I believe that our total figure includes the Dallas campus, since it is about 185 FTE short of becoming UNTD.

I disagree. 40,000 should be the starting point and not the goal.

What Division 1 school has a stadium with less seating capacity than it's enrollment? Doesn't every successful program have a stadium that seats roughly twice as many as the school's enrollment?

Why should North Texas be the exception?

Plan for success, and then make it happen.

That's what I meant; the initial stadium goal should be to seat 40,000, then expandable as needed later. :clapping:

If we are third largest in undergraduate enrollment then we are the third largest. Our graduate school has more than 1,700 students than UH.

However, I believe that our total figure includes the Dallas campus, since it is about 185 FTE short of becoming UNTD.

Those numbers are supposed to be just the main campus, not Dallas or the Med school in Ft Worth.

They isn't really accurate. USF has five campuses for their 44k.

http://www.usf.edu/campuses.html

That is like UT claiming they have 200k students.

Not all systems are set up like Texas systems, so it is hard to compare apples-apples.

Going off the wikipedia site it seems they broke down the branches individually, so I'm not sure honestly.

Is that goal of 40,000 a capacity number or the year of expected completion?

Unfortunately the 40,000 goal is the goal for top-end growth of student enrollment at UNT. The stadium as I understand it will open with ~31,000 seats, and expandable to 50K, but as to when that will happen...(?).

Unfortunately the 40,000 goal is the goal for top-end growth of student enrollment at UNT. The stadium as I understand it will open with ~31,000 seats, and expandable to 50K, but as to when that will happen...(?).

Jeff, since the Randy Galloway Show on 103.3 FM when old Jose Cuervo himself interviewed TDodge, I really think the stakes (or the capacity) have now been raised to (at least) 35,000 since "35-40,000 seat stadium" is what our HFC quoted as the capacity on the Galloway show 2-3 weeks ago.

I just don't think TDodge is the kind to loosely throw numbers such as that around; especially for what will end up being one of the most important construction projects in our school's entire history. Just my .02.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

North Texas told us and several development companies they expect to be between 45,000 - 50,000 by 2015 on the main campus in Denton. Whether or not that happens remains to be seen.

We don't know where we are in comparison to UH yet because UH hasn't released their initial enrollment yet. Last I heard, they were also above 34,000 combined as well. I think we will see UNT-UH separated by only a few students this year. Both should end up over 34,000 combined undergrad and grad.

The 34,268 does represent UNT and UNT-Dallas. Like 3XNTGrad says, it is considered one institution until UNT-Dallas hits the 1000 FTE mark.

UNT HSC is not included. It is a separate entity.

So last season we averaged 15650 with what 32000 students so lets say 1/3 or the student body showed up for games which I think we all agree is an exaggeration. And now that we announce we have 34268 students we all think we deserve a 40000 seat stadium. I say we increase student, alumni and overall fan support before we worry about 40000 seats other wise we wait until enrollment reaches 60000 at that point the 1/3 of the student body who support the program plus the current alumni support should come close to filling our new 40000 seat stadium.

So last season we averaged 15650 with what 32000 students so lets say 1/3 or the student body showed up for games which I think we all agree is an exaggeration. And now that we announce we have 34268 students we all think we deserve a 40000 seat stadium. I say we increase student, alumni and overall fan support before we worry about 40000 seats other wise we wait until enrollment reaches 60000 at that point the 1/3 of the student body who support the program plus the current alumni support should come close to filling our new 40000 seat stadium.

If we were averaging 28-29k a game, I'd say a 40k stadium is right on.

If we were averaging 28-29k a game, I'd say a 40k stadium is right on.

I agree completely and that is why I consider the next two years to be a tryout. If we come thought and really support the team than the school will have no choice but to build a bigger stadium but we continue to average 20000 or less than what right do we have to demand a 40000 seat stadium.