N T Daily - Riley Dodge To Play At U N T

MeanGreen61

Riley Dodge to play at NT

Clay Byington

Issue date: 7/19/07 Section: SPORTS

The NT football team has been receiving numerous commitments since naming Todd Dodge head coach, and on June 29 they received the first commitment from a Texas top 100 prospect: the head coach's son, Riley Dodge.

Just days after being named the new NT football coach, Todd Dodge coached Southlake Carroll High School to its third consecutive undefeated Texas 5A State Championship. Riley Dodge, who will be a senior this season, played a major role for his father's team as a junior in winning 5A Offensive Player of the Year, becoming the fifth straight Southlake quarterback to receive the award. Riley ended the season with 5,303 total yards and 67 total touchdowns.

"It's really exciting that he's decided to come here," said NT Athletics Director Rick Villarreal. "Talent is always appreciated."

After visiting the University of Texas at Austin in February for what is called junior days, Riley decided that was where he wanted to play his college ball. His father Todd played quarterback for the Longhorns in the mid-'80s, lettering from 1982-85. He currently ranks ninth on the Longhorns' list for career passing yards.

His son was looking to follow in Todd's footsteps when he orally committed to Texas, but has since decided to come to Denton and play for the Mean Green.

"He's coming to play for his father, and that's always something special," Villarreal said. "I think the fact that he decided to come to UNT when other programs were giving him a fair look speaks volumes of what the program has come to."

Woody Wilson, senior quarterback, said he is excited about watching Riley play at NT. He said he believes the father-son connection will benefit Riley.

"Once it comes to football, they are both competitors," Wilson said. " I think this system is going to help him grow and mature."

Wilson said that he's heard nothing but good things about Riley as an athlete, and he expects Riley to have tremendous work ethic.

"I would expect it [work ethic] from him because his father is a good man and a good coach," Wilson said. "He passed it down to his son."

What is Rick and especially Woody supposed to say...........

Woody better say the right things or his ass will stay on the bench. Riley's signing has no bearing on him. They should have asked Tune or Vizza what they thought of the oral commitment. Our Redshirt and true freshman just got hosed (blood is thicker than water).

An "A" bomb was just dropped on those poor kids.

Also in the future, UNT attracts no QB for at least two seasons that is worth a damn. Why would you come here with the 4A player of the year (Vizza) and the 5A player of the year (Rodge)?

Also in the future, UNT attracts no QB for at least two seasons that is worth a damn. Why would you come here with the 4A player of the year (Vizza) and the 5A player of the year (Rodge)?

Well if those two are so great (keep in mind neither have yet played a down of college football), we won't really need a super QB recruit for a year or two. Then we can use that 'ship or two on more O-line depth.

Edited by Eagle1855

What is Rick and especially Woody supposed to say...........

Woody better say the right things or his ass will stay on the bench. Riley's signing has no bearing on him. They should have asked Tune or Vizza what they thought of the oral commitment. Our Redshirt and true freshman just got hosed (blood is thicker than water).

An "A" bomb was just dropped on those poor kids.

That same philosophy worked well for the Cowboys in the mid 90's when they decided to draft nothing but back-up players.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I didn't think a school could comment on a recruit until they signed a LOI?

I think that RV may have mispoken about Riley. I believe that anyone not in the employ of the university is free to comment.

This is a very unique situation. The recruit and/or his high school coach must originate the announcement of the commitment. In this case the recruit's high school coach will also be his college coach. Does that remove the restriction? I don't know.

Woody better say the right things or his ass will stay on the bench. Riley's signing has no bearing on him. They should have asked Tune or Vizza what they thought of the oral commitment.

I'm still trying to convince my wife to go to that football clinic for women. Will you be coaching there?

I didn't think a school could comment on a recruit until they signed a LOI?

What RV said:

"It's really exciting that he's decided to come here," said NT Athletics Director Rick Villarreal. "Talent is always appreciated."

"He's coming to play for his father, and that's always something special," Villarreal said. "I think the fact that he decided to come to UNT when other programs were giving him a fair look speaks volumes of what the program has come to."

The Rule:

13.10.2 Comments Before Signing. Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National

Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution

may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete.

The institution may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete’s ability or the contribu-

tion that the prospective student-athlete might make to the institution’s team; further, the institution is

precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete’s signing

with that institution. Violations of this bylaw do not affect a prospective student-athlete’s eligibility and

are considered institutional violations per Constitution 2.8.1. (Revised: 1/14/97)

Is saying "Talent is always appreciated" considered a general comment about the prospective student-athlete’s ability? RV should be safe unless Ken Starr is now an NCAA investigator.

further, the institution is precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete’s signing

with that institution.

That's two verifications that Riley will go to NT, which seems like commenting on the likelihood of his signing with NT.

The only loophole I can think of is, that since Dodge is an employee of the university, Riley can attend NT for free or with a large discount without an athletic scholarship, and therefore may not even be technically being recruited by NT, and considered a potential student athlete.

I don't know, just throwing it out there. It beats the debate on pride stickers.

What RV said:

The Rule:

13.10.2 Comments Before Signing. Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National

Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid, a member institution

may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete.

The institution may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete’s ability or the contribu-

tion that the prospective student-athlete might make to the institution’s team; further, the institution is

precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete’s signing

with that institution. Violations of this bylaw do not affect a prospective student-athlete’s eligibility and

are considered institutional violations per Constitution 2.8.1. (Revised: 1/14/97)

Is saying "Talent is always appreciated" considered a general comment about the prospective student-athlete’s ability? RV should be safe unless Ken Starr is now an NCAA investigator.

Starr's probably hiding in TD's bushes at this very moment ready to snap a picture of TD handing RD his weekend allowance. :o

Any player worth his salt won't be "scared" away by a little competition. If a 3 or 4 star recruit doesn't want to come here because he is afraid that he won't get playing time with Vizza and Dodge here, well we don't want that kind of player here anyway.

Edited by Eagle-96

The only loophole I can think of is, that since Dodge is an employee of the university, Riley can attend NT for free or with a large discount without an athletic scholarship, and therefore may not even be technically being recruited by NT, and considered a potential student athlete.

According to Ibleedgreen, "having a parent who works at UNT does not get you free tuition. It does, however, get you free fees." Link to thread, post #32

Emmitt, you are very touchy when it comes to Woodrow. Basically, Woody is saying all the right things because Riley will not affect him. Do you think it is a coinsidence that Woodrow was the only one quoted? Common on, give me a freakin break. If Dodge is a man of character, he will play the best player. But I still believe that blood is thicker than water, imo.

So what is it, is Dodge a man of character or not?

But I still believe we will be thin at QB for two seasons (quality wise) after Riley signs. I wonder if Tune or Vizza will transfer?

Again, you say this like this is a problem!!!!

This isn't a problem at all.

If it is, then what is your solution?!?! Get inferior QB's in the mix just to make everyone feel good and stay away from real competition?! If having good players scares others away then i don't want them anyhow. That kind of character is not needed on the team and won't translate to success on the field.

I could care less if we were thin and had 2 great qb's instead of 4-5 below average ones.

This is not a problem.

Emmitt, you are very touchy when it comes to Woodrow. Basically, Woody is saying all the right things because Riley will not affect him. Do you think it is a coinsidence that Woodrow was the only one quoted? Common on, give me a freakin break. If Dodge is a man of character, he will play the best player. But I still believe that blood is thicker than water, imo.

Having your son play for you at the collegiate level is not something I would want. Why does a kid like Riley turn down a QB offer from Missouri, Rice, or even SMU (well I can see why not SMU). Think about it.

I like having Riley here. It will make Tune and our other freshman battle or get the hell out of DODGE (no pun intended). But I still believe we will be thin at QB for two seasons (quality wise) after Riley signs. I wonder if Tune or Vizza will transfer?

Common Emmitt, Woody will do just fine returning punts, since I am the new offensive coordinator. Send over your wife, we need all the money we can raise from that event.

So you don't think Coach Dodge is a man of character? Your comments say no.

I think he is and will play the best player he has. Vizza and Tune aren't going anywhere.

Okay im confused. I think Tune could turn out to be a decent College QB (When i saw him play in the Allstar game last summer he showed me some things) but lets get real. This kid walked on as possible QB or saftey. He was able to earn a scholorship at the QB postion because the other three were horrible last summer.

Now Dodge 2007 is talking like it would be the worst tragedy this program has seen if he were to transfer. Am i missing something or has this kid thrown a college pass yet?

Edited by GreenN'walinsVet