Thoughts On The Smu Game

emmitt01

-They lost their season opener last year 35-3 to Tech. Then turned around and lost to a DD team that was about as vanilla as can be.

-Demyron Martin had 55 yards against us in the first quarter before spraining his ankle. (that's on pace for 220 for the game) He won't sprain his ankle this year so we better have a run defense.

-Justin Willis was a baby by collegiate standards when he played us. Hell, he hadn't even committed his first hate crime yet!

-We will be breaking in a new offense. Let's be honest, playing OU will tell us little to nothing about this offense...they're just that much faster and stronger.

Soooooo, by my unscientific formula we should win 24-20.

Edited by emmitt01

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SMU D-line only returns one starter; two return at LB, three in the secondary. They open the season with Texas Tech, another team that runs a spread offense, so they will see the same offense two weeks in a row. If we have a budding run game, it will show against SMU's young D-line. If we can't dent them running, there may be problems. What remains to be seen is whether SMU can defense a spread offense better this year than last year when Tech beat them 35-3.

As for the SMU offense, their O-line is very experienced, returning four starters and going two deep with upperclass reserves. Their receiver corp is shaky with one guy moved from corner and another from running back to fill in for graduation losses. So, it's doubtful they'll throw with much success against anyone early on. The flip side is they have an experience tailback to go behind the experience O-line. If our D-line, LBs, and strong safety can't make heads or tails of the run game, they could ball control us to death.

Should be a close game, as emmit predicts. It could go 24-20 either way. The x-factor will be special teams. They've got a return guy who was leading the nation with 37+ yard per kick return last year before getting injured about halfway through the season. Containing him would help us maintain momentum after scoring drives.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Should be a close game, as emmit predicts. It could go 24-20 either way. The x-factor will be special teams. They've got a return guy who was leading the nation with 37+ yard per kick return last year before getting injured about halfway through the season. Containing him would help us maintain momentum after scoring drives.

Thanks for the analysis, TFLF. Good read.

Yes, the ponys OL is a team strength this year. Their top RB, Demyron Martin (sp?)

is a real danger anytime he has the ball: big, strong and fast. The other 2 backs played

in last years game, (names?) and both were very fast and quick. Our DL will have their

hands full containing these guys. Their QB Willis, is a year older and more experienced

in handling the offense, making reads, and changing plays to fit the defense.

The phonies will be ready for our game:It is North Texas, revenge for last year, playing

at their house, pressure to win on Bennett, introduction of Coach Dodge and Dodge Ball,

jealous that Coach Dodge is at North Texas and not at $mu, there will be more GREEN

in Ford $tadium than phony red, and our tailgate cooking is the best in the State, hands

on, not brought in by La Mandlins's !

They open the season with Texas Tech, another team that runs a spread offense, so they will see the same offense two weeks in a row.

Other than operating out of the shotgun, the two offenses don't have much in common. It is not the same offense, and not close.

Edited by Coach

I have the utmost confidence that we will win , however I believe in the Karma gods and I think we are getting a little overconfident!

SMUt was only one win (loss to US :)) from going bowling...

SMUt was 5-1 at home.

We have a new coach

New system on Off and Def

We have the same core players from a 3-9 team.

I hope the Gods shine down upon us Sept 8th, I just hope we dont piss them off with some of the this arrogance

---Maybe we will do what TCU did in 2005....Defeat OU in week one, lose to SMU in week two.....then go the rest of the rest of the year undefeated....LOL

---I don't care if we do P*** them off... I just hope our guys don't get overconfident and then we take care of business.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

fine...by...me!!!!!!

How dare you. Beating SMU is the most important thing to ever happen for our program just like it was last year. They are out to kill us and everything we stand for. They even lost on purpose last year in an ill-fated attempt to make us keep Dickey. Their hatred for us knows no bounds. It's not just us they hate personally, they hate everything we stand for and believe in, and nothing can be done to change this.

Remember Timmy, if a Pony could, it would eat you and everyone you ever cared about.

- The old Grey Mare, She Ain't what she used to be......We should win....

WE should learn the Lyrics and sing it to them, they would enjoy it, especially in the 4th quarter if they are losing....

(learn verse one anyway)

Oh, the old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be,

Ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be.

The old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be,

Many long years ago.

Many long years ago, many long years ago.

Many long years ago.

The old gray mare, she kicked on the whiffletree,

Kicked on the whiffletree, kicked on the whiffletree

The old gray mare, she kicked on the whiffletree

Many long years ago.

Many long years ago, many long years ago,

The old gray mare, she kicked on the whiffletree

Many long years ago.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

WE should learn the Lyrics and sing it to them, they would enjoy it, especially in the 4th quarter if they are losing....

(learn verse one anyway)

Many long years ago.

You know this isn't half bad. You could even stop after the first "Many long years ago" and then sing it twice more. If we had 10K singing that each time we scored it would be something. (Provided we score.) Talk about demoralizing and just the kind of thing that helps intensify rivalries. Too bad we don't have a few songs for specific rivals we could sing a la European futbol club fans.

Edited by adman

You know this isn't half bad. You could even stop after the first "Many long years ago" and then sing it twice more. If we had 10K singing that each time we scored it would be something. (Provided we score.) Talk about demoralizing and just the kind of thing that helps intensify rivalries. Too bad we don't have a few songs for specific rivals we could sing a la European futbol club fans.

Excellent idea. Now we just need somebody to start the chant in a particular section and get everyone else to do it. Rick? :lol:

Excellent idea. Now we just need somebody to start the chant in a particular section and get everyone else to do it. Rick? :lol:

We also should wait to proceed until we know if Daddy Dumpsalot approves of this new "tradition."

I have been offered a parking spot at one of my executives' home. He lives two blocks from the stadium with a circular drive and yes, he's an SMU alum.

You guys stop by, we'll be grilling and watching the satellite and how Oklahoma is reacting to Miami after their stunning loss to North Texas.

Edited by UNTflyer

This game had a bit more sizzle when SMU was in the Southwest Conference and UNT was trying to get in the SWC; not that this neighborhood rivalry couldn't have a similar sizzle or interest in this era as well.

Both schools should look at what monies they save for their respective athletic budgets by not having to fly or bus to an "out of area" game while incuring all the expenses you have when you have to spend monies on transportation and staying over-night at some hotel.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I may be the only one that feels this way but I have a feeling that if Bennett loses to North Texas (with its new system and new coach) that he will be gone. There might be an exception if he wins ignisficantly; say eight wins and a bowl bid.

Bennett will have them as fired up as he can get them, especially if he loses to Tech. The game should be pretty close because I believe that we are fairly close on talent while they may have an edge on experience. I think that Coach Dodge comes of (college) age in this game and slips by, 28-24.

(learn verse one anyway)

Many long years ago.

Need to update the words a little.

Since the death penalty, since the dealth penalty.

Many long years ago.