Game Day

Yes, I remember 01-04 and that is why I said nothing has changed. I was a student then and tried desparately recruiting people to come to the games. Sadly, they didn't come. So I don't get your point.

nmsuvictory.jpg

The point is you seem to be talking about another school during that time, not North Texas.

And thank you GG for reminding of the Lighting of the Tower as I added it to my list. This tradition has been long standing and dates back before I got to NT and still is just as alive today. There is an announcement during every home game to remind those to participate to march with the Victory Bell to the tower, sing our traditional songs and light the tower together. However, very few take advantage of this. I make sure my kids take part in this when I can because I want it past down.

Rick

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nmsuvictory.jpg

The point is you seem to be talking about another school during that time, not North Texas.

And thank you GG for reminding of the Lighting of the Tower as I added it to my list. This tradition has been long standing and dates back before I got to NT and still is just as alive today. There is an announcement during every home game to remind those to participate to march with the Victory Bell to the tower, sing our traditional songs and light the tower together. However, very few take advantage of this. I make sure my kids take part in this when I can because I want it past down.

Rick

Thank you for this picture...great memories...I've still got a piece of the '02 goal post in my office at work. Papa Todd will have us tearing down goal posts again very soon (that was beginning to be a tradition...and I was all for continuing last season after the FIU game...but I was just too tired).

I'll put in my two cents: When UNT starts selling out their ballgames in their new stadium, and begins blasting everyone on their schedule, these traditions will become popular and un-lame PDQ.

And a comment: It's lame to expect UNT to create traditions.

Ref to NT03-Everyone buy season tickets. That would be a great tradition: "If you want Mean Green Tickets, you'd better get in line now, because, 'it's a tradition at North Texas-Everyone buys season tickets.' "

At the risk of ending a (bad) tradition, could we avoid the playing of our fight song in an "om pa pa" rhythm. It sounds like, to me, that the band is making fun of our fight song.

I'll put in my two cents: When UNT starts selling out their ballgames in their new stadium, and begins blasting everyone on their schedule, these traditions will become popular and un-lame PDQ.

This is the best post on this thread. Besides Emmitts. Traditions don't get organized, they just catch on.

Here, I think I've got an idea that will make all of those who say we need a new tradition happy.

One side of the stadium yells:

THIS IS

Then the other side yells:

A TRADITION

Hey with Underarmour on board...how about

One side of the stadium yells:

PROTECT

Then the other side yells:

THIS HOUSE

Leave it to the bandwagon fan from another school to put it all in perspective... :D

Daddy...perhaps it's time for you to spend a little more time taking a dump and less time spewing your crap on the internets
I agree...it really ticks me off when during one of the highest points in our history, a newbie comes in trying to save the program spewing some crap about pulling "tradition" out of our arses.

Put it to bed Daddy Dumper...we don't want to hear about it...maybe I am speaking just for myself, don't want to include inncocent bystandards into my rant.

You're DOUBLE DOOMED

I agree...it really ticks me off when during one of the highest points in our history, a newbie comes in trying to save the program spewing some crap about pulling "tradition" out of our arses.

Put it to bed Daddy Dumper...we don't want to hear about it...maybe I am speaking just for myself, don't want to include inncocent bystandards into my rant.

No, I'm right there with you. He's not the first and he's definitely not the last to try to "save" this program with his brilliant ideas. Like 99.9% of them, he too has spent all of his time in front of his keyboard and none of it on campus talking to those in power who could effect change. Just once I'd like to see a post that reads like this:

"I think NT has x problem! Because x problem has been around for a while without any positive progress I propose that x be done. The following is what I personally plan to do to implement x brilliant idea. Who's with me?"

This should be followed not too terribly long after by:

"I implemented x plan and these are the results."

So far all I ever see is "I think NT has x problem!"

No, I'm right there with you. He's not the first and he's definitely not the last to try to "save" this program with his brilliant ideas. Like 99.9% of them, he too has spent all of his time in front of his keyboard and none of it on campus talking to those in power who could effect change. Just once I'd like to see a post that reads like this:

"I think NT has x problem! Because x problem has been around for a while without any positive progress I propose that x be done. The following is what I personally plan to do to implement x brilliant idea. Who's with me?"

This should be followed not too terribly long after by:

"I implemented x plan and these are the results."

So far all I ever see is "I think NT has x problem!"

Brilliant.

I think my favorite part of this thread is when DD links back to the thread he started a few days ago and says that the momentum is dying because people stopped discussing it. I've read that while working on a project all weekend every so often and it never fails to make me chuckle.

If how much the same 10 people discuss something equals progress, then I'll meet you at the new 50,000 seat stadium underneath the giant UNT billboard at our conference opener against Boise State.

If how much the same 10 people discuss something equals progress, then I'll meet you at the new 50,000 seat stadium underneath the giant UNT billboard at our conference opener against Boise State.

Oh, and I'll be there on time unless the baseball game goes long and I can't beat my way past the NCAA's largest crowd to make it for kickoff.

I think someone is forgetting about Mattress Mack's "Dickey Tubes" - a network of sub-surface connecting pipes that can funnel people much like vacuums you see at the bank. I laughed at the press conference when he told us how "nothing sucks like a Dickey." They cost him $5 billion of his own money, but I just can't believe we let him use that name. Again.

OMG! You people are a bunch of freaking DORKS. Im am sooo sorry that you think inside your little boxes and cant pull your head out of your made up reality. Yes this new hire is going to be the changing point for UNT....YEAH RIGHT! It will last 2 seasons and then UNT is back to where it was and history repeats itself. It is soo pathetic how you all sit here in your fantasy world and make excuses about how great UNT is and the SBC conference is when in reality UNT is in bad shape and the hiring of TD will simply cover that up for a while, and dont get me started about this last place thing called a conference that we're in.

The 25 die hard fans on GMG do NOT represent the majority of the school and you would venture out and actually talk to people you would learn what people thing of UNT. BUT YOU DONT, you sit on this site and just go with the flow and make rediculous excuses and live in some fantasy world.

Emmit when is the last time you did something productive outside your own benefit to try to improve the university?

TastyGeek same question to you.

Im sorry that I have passion for this university and its future and have ACTUALLY talked with the students, the 99.5% of the rest of the population that has interest in the university, and listen to them to hear what they have to say about things. And believe me, it's a sobering reality.

HERE is my prediction: 2-3 years, UNT will be in excatly the same spot that it has been in: Bottom conference, 0 fan support, 0 name recognition. The only thing different is that there will be new 'faithful' fans on this website but the same old people making excuses for where we are. And out there, off the internet, the fans that have been faithful for years will be moving on and no longer interested.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have more 'newbies' like me, that have passion for UNT and want to bring about new changes and traditions, because right NOW the 'traditions' that everyone talks so highly about AREN'T catching on or working, and if you ASK the students what one of our traditions is, chances are they wont know. So LOGIC would say that maybe we need a new approach.

Adios and I'll see you at the games.

Our idea was as such: Provide a laminated paper or cup or a Mean Green towel. On one of those would list certain things to do during the game. For example:

On kickoffs: Crowd swings towels and yells GOOOOOOO Mean Green

Inside Opponents 15 yrd line: Entire crowd starts bouncing up and down in anticipation for the TD and doesnt stop

Opponent inside our 15 yrd line: Entire crowd bounce and make a ton of noise.

On our touchdown: .....(ex: crowd push-ups like ND)

On opponent touchdown: ....

On first down: Dont say anything cause 'its good for a mean green first down es no bueno'

Okay DaddyDumps, above are your suggestions from the beginning of this thread. If you would look at www.meangreensports.com you would see that there is already a cheer for kickoffs.

The suggestions for inside the 15 yard line are fine, but aren't these basically stolen from Duke basketball?

Oh, and please don't question emmitt. He has plastered schedules all over storefronts throughout Denton, served BBQ to the team, been one of the Green Backers that set out to make tailgating a tradition, etc...

"Oh, and please don't question emmitt. He has plastered schedules all over storefronts throughout Denton, served BBQ to the team, been one of the Green Backers that set out to make tailgating a tradition, etc..."

ABSOLUTELY! You can always question Emmitt's sanity :rolleyes: , but never his loyalty. ;)