Port Arthur Pride

Harry

Uncalled for comments.

no kidding, what the hell was that all about? I think RV has done a fine job. And he deserves some accolade for his accomplishments. He was able to translate the success Dickey had on the field into dorms, weight room, athletic center, etc.

What gives?

Guest GrayEagleOne

What prompted this question?

Trust me, Jimmy wouldn't have lasted long at UNT (despite the beautiful football complex built thanks to ex-coach Darrell Dickey's four-year bowl run). If you think Jerry is a know-it-all gloryhog, just ask Dickey about the North Texas AD.

I lost some respect for MacMahon over this last paragraph. He no doubt had some harsh words with RV over time and this is a retaliation. I'll just say that it's totally wrong and uncalled for.

Is Tim Mac comparing RV to a three-time Super Bowl champion/self-made billionaire such a bad thing? Tim covered the UNT beat for more than five years. I think he would know if RV is a know-it-all gloryhog. Heck, I love RV and everything he has done for UNT and I think he is a know-it-all gloryhog. All the great ones are. Tim Mac is the biggest media champion of UNT athletics in the DFW market. Quit being whiny babies!

There is no such thing as bad publicity...until RV shoots someone...then distance. RV has a bit of a big head...ask any former New Student Orientation Leader (me) who had to sit through 12 or so RV speeches to 500 incoming freshman and their parents: "I want everyone to stand up...kinda shake out your arms and start clapping...lets get warmed up...(so now everyone is standing and clapping)...thank you for that standing ovation!" Its a bit...but Rick does love him some Rick. That having been said...Darrell Dickey wanted to ride 4 straight bowl wins for 10 seasons of 3-9 with complete immunity...and RV has bigger aspirations for our fair school. If thats glory hogging, BRING ON THE GLORY...plenty to share with Rick

There is no such thing as bad publicity...until RV shoots someone...then distance. RV has a bit of a big head...ask any former New Student Orientation Leader (me) who had to sit through 12 or so RV speeches to 500 incoming freshman and their parents: "I want everyone to stand up...kinda shake out your arms and start clapping...lets get warmed up...(so now everyone is standing and clapping)...thank you for that standing ovation!" Its a bit...but Rick does love him some Rick. That having been said...Darrell Dickey wanted to ride 4 straight bowl wins for 10 seasons of 3-9 with complete immunity...and RV has bigger aspirations for our fair school. If thats glory hogging, BRING ON THE GLORY...plenty to share with Rick

Amen!

Tim McMahon is a great reporter and friend of UNT. There is still soreness from RV firing Dickey.

Dodge is great hire, no doubt.

But remember what people outside UNT saw was 4 time conference winning coach Darrell Dicke was fired shortly after recovering from a mild heart attack, gallbladder surgery and diagnosis of diabetes.

Personally I still feel bad for Dickey getting fired shortly after health problems that resulted from his coaching here at UNT. But a new coach and system needed to be installed. Also his coaching staff imploded with brawls with fans, other coaches.

RV still is under the radar for the debacle that is the stadium issue.

Advice for the Mean Green

The North Texas football program has been in a steady decline since I left Denton, resulting in today's announcement that coach Darrell Dickey will not return. The Mean Green obviously misses me pointing the program in the right direction, so here I come to save the day.

Hire Todd Dodge away from Southlake Carroll.

Yes, hire a high school coach. So what if Dennis Parker didn't work out so well in the 1990s? Dodge, an ex-Texas QB whose team has lost once in the last five seasons, is an offensive whiz kid who would put points on the board and butts in the seats.

Dodge, whose hiring would create a huge buzz for UNT, would immediately make the Mean Green more attractive in the eyes of recruits. QBs and WRs will want to play for him. I think it's safe to say he'd have an inside track on the loaded junior class at Carroll, including his QB son, Riley.

A couple of dudes I've talked to shot my theory down by saying Dodge wouldn't want to go to UNT. He won't leave Carroll until Riley graduates, they figured. Hogwash, especially if they live their dream by going undefeated this season.

And money talks. UNT ought to be able to nearly triple Dodge's salary. It'd be a wise investment.

Did he have a crystal ball going there or what? Of course, our very own ADLER stated this publicly back in the spring of '05, long before TMac did. Both must have had crystal balls considering so much of that has come true now.

Nothing left but the wins.

Rick

I know it's probably a typo, but Darrell was too puking drunk on Bourbon Street to eke out more than one victory down there in NO.

As soon as I read back through I realized I wrote that...and I think for that So. Miss game he was drinking a Bloody Mary on the sideline.

Personally I still feel bad for Dickey getting fired shortly after health problems that resulted from his coaching here at UNT. But a new coach and system needed to be installed. Also his coaching staff imploded with brawls with fans, other coaches.

Seriously? I don't think I've ever read any studies that support the notion that diabetes and gallbladder disease are caused by coaching at NT. A mild heart attack from the stresses associated with work? OK - but how many of our previous head coaches suffered a heart attack?

Your statement is absurd.

Seriously? I don't think I've ever read any studies that support the notion that diabetes and gallbladder disease are caused by coaching at NT. A mild heart attack from the stresses associated with work? OK - but how many of our previous head coaches suffered a heart attack?

Your statement is absurd.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: in wholehearted agreement. Absurd...that's putting it tamely.

I think that alot of people could agree that his heart attack came from the result of stress from his own program. Serioulsy I think that most of that stress came from his own assistant coaches.

The circumstances of him being fired after the heart attack looked bad, and resulted in bad PR, Im sure we still remember that.

Other than that it was bad time for UNT, but now things look alot better and they will continue to get brighter, as long as we can keep Todd Dodge here at NT.

Two things Dodge expects at his stay at UNT

1. A new stadium being built by 2009

2. A move to a better conference.

Number #1 can't happen if we arent serious about wanting to build a stadium. This is obviously not the case as alot of other mid major programs have planned to build a stadium after our initial vision was set forth when Villareal came here

( FIU, UCF, and others), they planned for it after us and they are now turning dirt.

Number #2 can't happen if we dont do number #1 and add a baseball team.