Wow

Harry

What an amazing time for the program! All Dodge hire doubters please come clean and we will all forgive your sins... how anyone can question this hire now given the unprecedented publicity and recruiting is beyond me. How can you not be excited about the future of this program!

What an amazing time for the program! All Dodge hire doubters please come clean and we will all forgive your sins... how anyone can question this hire now given the unprecedented publicity and recruiting is beyond me. How can you not be excited about the future of this program!

He's just a high school coach. :rolleyes:

I was as excited as anyone about this hire, but I'll be the first to admit I NEVER thought we'd see this kind of activity this quickly. It really hits you what a refreshing attitude can accomplish. Whereas the other staff moaned about what they had to work with, Dodge and staff promote what they have to work with and now we are seeing the fruits of that attitude already!

Harry I second your "wow"! It is another major indictator.... Things Are A Changin' and We All Need to do whatever we can...to keep the excitment rolling!

Our time is NOW!

Go Green!

The Team of the Metroplex hails from Denton Texas

ParksAndRecRickSaysWow!!!!!

Edited by ParksAndRecRick

True. Haven't had this much off-season football talk since...? Hopefully, all this positive media will inspire some major Stadium donors too. Yes, we can spin this into future stadium talk!! (I predict a Plumm post in 10 minutes). :o

If UNT has a respectable season, watch the recruits line up for next year!

Reliable sources said that WW did not want NT to hire a "high school" football coach.

I still think many are missing the point that TD was still a High School coach because he wanted to be, not because he had no other choices. I believe TD stayed in High School as long as he needed to until the right situation for him came around - and lucky for us that was UNT.

I still think many are missing the point that TD was still a High School coach because he wanted to be, not because he had no other choices. I believe TD stayed in High School as long as he needed to until the right situation for him came around - and lucky for us that was UNT.

I find it amusing that we catch crap for hiring a high school coach; and how its only been done up at Notre Dame (unsuccessfully). But the Gigantic Tuna almost hired TD to be the tight ends coach for the Cowboys. How often are high school coaches hired by NFL teams? I don't recall too many. Obviously we hired a special one.

Here's some high comedy for ya....Baylor fans are saying they don't think Riley or Tre Newton would be good enough to play at Baylor. I hate to go all Nancy Reagan on them but "just say no."

Funny, E01...(Even funnier because of what the Baylorites are saying).

Anyone think green might best describe the color of the adjective that seems to be affecting some of our fellow Texas D1-A brethren as it concerns all the positive happenings at UNT of late? :)

Trying to remember what happened the last time Baylor came to Fouts Field and played against all those other players in green that (apparently) weren't good enough to play on their team back then, either.

Yes, I know, I would be falling short if I didn't mention a "new stadium," but.................Dear Lord Almighty: Please let their be a Big Donor out there real soon for little ol' Teacher's College of Texas Normal State so we can keep good coaching talent around at our alma mater and then progress to that proverbial next level, ie, Top 25 rankings. Amen (I'll even start tithing if need be, OK). Amen (again).

Jumpin' Jehosaphats, what we go through at North Texas is enough to drive a man to religion (or Saint Jack Daniels). Well, of course, I don't drink anymore, but then again, I don't drink any less.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

All Dodge hire doubters please come clean and we will all forgive your sins... how anyone can question this hire now given the unprecedented publicity and recruiting is beyond me. How can you not be excited about the future of this program!

Well, I wasn't a "Dodge doubter" but I did have my hesitations because of some of the other candidates that were being interviewed, mainly Jim Harbaugh and Jimbo Fisher. As most of you know, Harbaugh took the HC job at Stanford and Fisher took the OC job at FSU. I don't know if we had a legitimate shot at hiring either one them but those were my top 3 with TD and JH being 1A and 1B, respectively. Harbaugh's done a nice job recruiting for the Cardinal by getting a good 2007 class and he now has 6 early commits for the 2008 class. He just received his latest commit this weekend. Andrew Luck, QB (6'4" 215 lbs) from Houston Stratford, is a rivals 4-star prospect and ranked #59 in the nation and #7 in Texas. Now, I think everyone will agree that it's likely a bit easier to recruit to Stanford than it is to UNT, although student-athletes must meet higher academic standards to be accepted to Stanford.

In light of everything just mentioned, I wouldn't trade TD for Harbaugh or Fisher. TD has exceeded my wildest dreams with the publicity/media attention that's been generated and he's been stellar at recruiting thus far. In fact, I don't know if there's any NCAA D-1A coach that I would trade for TD right now. Do you think kids go to UT to play for Mack Brown or to don the burnt orange and play before 80K at DKR??? It's a little of both, but heavily slanted towards the opportunity to play for a big-time program and before a national audience in hopes of playing in the NFL. IMO, Mack Brown is the best recruiter in college football but, if he was hired at UNT tomorrow, I honestly don't know if he could do any better than TD has done so far.

However, there's still a very, very big piece of the puzzle missing. That piece is the catalyst for the future of UNT football. That piece is called WINNING. We'll need to be successful on the football field and we'll need that success fairly quickly if we hope to retain our current oral commitments. We all know that famous footnote/escape clause that RD just took advantage of; Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day a football recruit can sign a national letter of intent is Feb. 6, 2008. I'm not doubting that the on-the-field success will come and I certainly won't say "I told you so" if it doesn't (the Phonies and other naysayers will take care of that) but our magnificent house of cards could quickly come tumbling down if we don't have a potent offense that translates to some big wins. This first season under TD is going to be very critical because the media and the recruits are going to be watching very closely...an exciting, high-scoring offense coupled with a winning season could persuade even more players to join the Mean Green whereas a few goose eggs and 8+ losses may make our currents commits re-think their decisions and scare others away. The bar has already been set and it's been set much higher than the previous regime. The high expectations are there for the coaching staff, the players and, of course, the MEAN GREEN NATION. In Todge, we believe! We can conquer any opponent at any time and at any place. I have no doubt Todd Dodge can get UNT to the place we all know we can be.

****Sorry for the long, Plumm-like post :P I'm more excited about UNT football than I have ever been and I felt like I was on a roll!!****

However, there's still a very, very big piece of the puzzle missing. That piece is the catalyst for the future of UNT football. That piece is called WINNING.

That, my friend, is something Todd Dodge knows a little something about. Nobody knew whether he could recruit - that was the missing puzzle piece. He is showing that he can. Now, he just needs to put that together with what he already knows how to do as well as anyone - win.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Wow indeed! I got an email from a friend who told me of the change and had to check the boards and I'm doing so during my radio show. I'm going to mention on the air you better believe. My co-host feels we have to talk about because I'm so giddy right now. So there will be Mean Green talk across the country tonight, that's a promise!!!!

Patrick

Wow indeed! I got an email from a friend who told me of the change and had to check the boards and I'm doing so during my radio show. I'm going to mention on the air you better believe. My co-host feels we have to talk about because I'm so giddy right now. So there will be Mean Green talk across the country tonight, that's a promise!!!!

Patrick

I'm listening to you right now and noticed you became much happier about 2-3 segments ago. Coincidence?

Now, I think everyone will agree that it's likely a bit easier to recruit to Stanford than it is to UNT, although student-athletes must meet higher academic standards to be accepted to Stanford.

um, getting into Stanford is no easy trick. that is why they said Ty Willingham did such a wonderful job there. It is my understanding that you Stanford is one of the few schools that don't give athletes the NCAA minimum (you must meet school standards).