White Helmet With North Texas

Smitty

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only response to those with the ideo of getting rid of North Texas on the helmet is to suppose that one of these photos appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated and the title was "College Football Season On The Way"; Which of the schools (besides Miami of course) would the general public recognize? Most likely: North Texas and Troy because the teams are not yet popular enough nationwide to be recognized simply by a logo. Would it look cool? Yes, but we'll never get corporate sponsorships if nobody outside of Denton or the Sunbelt can recognize us when we play.

MTSQOTAYYAHKVLR.20061211160238.jpg

25424021.jpg

25905825.jpg

25302530.jpg

LQLTWKIIIOBTSNL.20061028235302.jpg

When we first changed our helmets to just "North Texas" I wasn't happy about it then but I bought off on the "when you see us in an action photo you'll know who we are" bit. No more. Time to look like we're in 1-A, not D-III. Put the goofy North Texas on the jersey sleeve, if you must, but put a LOGO, son of worm or interlocked NT, on the helmet!

474193.jpg

416006.jpg

376958.jpg

smis-bower-com-btn.jpg

Hmmmmmm?

Rick

As long as MG football is headed toward a Top 25 rankings quality of a program which means we would have had some impressive wins and (most likely) beaten some Top 25'ers along the way, our school's football team can wear generic "Penn State" style helmets with only a stripe down the middle of it as far as I'm concerned.

Looks are important, but probably moreso for schools that are still trying to find their identity (and 8 name changes since 1890 has hardly helped our cause in Denton); yet Penn State for most of my lifetime seems to have never been criticized for their helmets very plain generic look, but they did get much attention for what Joe Paterno was producing with the football teams who wore those helmets for most of his tenureship as Penn State's head football coach.

Pictures don't lie. My mistake. BUT........before Dodge's tenure at TJ, the helmets were definitely White. I just couldn't remember the years. I'm talking about the late 1950's, early 1960's. That's when I use to watch mighty TJ play when I was a kid.

Plum, I am sorry, hope I didn't sound like I was coming down on you. Yeah, in the 1950s and 60s PA Jeff had white helmets. By the time I was buttin' heads with em, things had changed.

Plum, I am sorry, hope I didn't sound like I was coming down on you. Yeah, in the 1950s and 60s PA Jeff had white helmets. By the time I was buttin' heads with em, things had changed.

Deep, I think that response was mean't for you. :lol: That's OK, Varsity, I have a heckuva' bunch on my mind today, too. Sky-watching for those twirling clouds being toward the top of that list.

But PA Jeff had white helmets, though? :rolleyes:

If our guys get in the Top 25 (which I really believe will be sooner than later especially after we debut a new stadium), they can wear those old leather helmets Red "The Galloping Ghost" Granger made famous! :shocking: I know, easy for me to say.:)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Have you ever seen the Carroll Dragons uniforms? One of the sharpest high school uniforms in the state. White helmets! I'm betting on UNT's being just as cool. TD will outfit his team to match their character! Winners!

Besides as the winning starts, any uniform looks great!

We are not SLC? Why do we want to look like them so bad??????

There's nothing wrong with our look. Just change the shade to a lighter green so it will look a bit closer to the school's colors.

We are not SLC? Why do we want to look like them so bad??????

There's nothing wrong with our look. Just change the shade to a lighter green so it will look a bit closer to the school's colors.

I don't think that is what was intended. GreenSquared just stated that SLC looked sharp and NT will also.

If there is text on our helmets this year, then I guarantee at least one more helmet change in most of our lifetimes. At some point there will be a logo (personally, I'm fond of S.O.W.) on the helmets.

Agreed 100%.

As for looking like SLC, as long as we don't allow a drunk 2nd grader to draw the logo on the helmet like they obviously did, I'm just fine with that look. They look damn good.

As far as SoW goes, if we don't use it in ANY capacity for football -- no helmets, not on the unis, not on the field, NOWHERE -- then I don't see the point of it. It's the "official" logo, yes? It's been showing up on ESPN, the local broadcasts, national publications and websites, and everywhere in media short of the CBS selection show, yes? Like it or not, and I think we overwhelmingly DO, that's our logo. It's good. If ANYTHING is going to be on out helmets besides the special ed billboard, it's going to be the SoW. End of story. I know a lot of us like the interlocking NT, but it's not the logo. The Exes use it, we've used varying degrees of it way back when, but it has virtually NO presence or publicity anywhere else. If that ever changes, great -- but for now, the SoW is IT. Period. Anything else, IMHO, makes ZERO sense.

For the record, the DD-era script helmets also made virtually no sense from a continuity level, but I will always love those bastards because we were champions every year we wore 'em. THAT'S a track record.

Green, white, whatever -- USE THE SON OF WORM!

Agreed 100%.

As for looking like SLC, as long as we don't allow a drunk 2nd grader to draw the logo on the helmet like they obviously did, I'm just fine with that look. They look damn good.

As far as SoW goes, if we don't use it in ANY capacity for football -- no helmets, not on the unis, not on the field, NOWHERE -- then I don't see the point of it. It's the "official" logo, yes? It's been showing up on ESPN, the local broadcasts, national publications and websites, and everywhere in media short of the CBS selection show, yes? Like it or not, and I think we overwhelmingly DO, that's our logo. It's good. If ANYTHING is going to be on out helmets besides the special ed billboard, it's going to be the SoW. End of story. I know a lot of us like the interlocking NT, but it's not the logo. The Exes use it, we've used varying degrees of it way back when, but it has virtually NO presence or publicity anywhere else. If that ever changes, great -- but for now, the SoW is IT. Period. Anything else, IMHO, makes ZERO sense.

For the record, the DD-era script helmets also made virtually no sense from a continuity level, but I will always love those bastards because we were champions every year we wore 'em. THAT'S a track record.

Green, white, whatever -- USE THE SON OF WORM!

If RV just has to have "North Texas" on the helmet again, maybe he would at least mix the logo in with it?.......

https://images.efollett.com/spirit/v4/413/60320-WDMKFC-2.jpg

Edited by NT80

The symbol that's on my avatar....At least I think that's right...

TOTALLY on board with ya trud1266 on all fronts!!

The live Eagle making a intro flight into the stadium (like Auburn) is awesome. I don't even consider that copying Auburn. Its original for us since after all, we are the EAGLES for crying out loud. It's only natural! Don't think we would be ridiculed for copying Auburn as they are the Tigers. How do you connect the eagle and Tigers? The reality is that they have been copying us. Its just that we have not awakened to do what is our right!! Let's wake up!!!

Have put up my soap box on the helmet and identity issue up for the past several months. But, since it has been mentioned again, allow me to repeat. Don't care what color the helmet is. If easier to spot receivers being white then for petes sake, use white helmets! One issue solved! Next, and this supports who we are. I think we should emphasize being the UNT EAGLES!!!!!!! The Eagle is our country's mascot. The Eagle is a sign of speed, courage, strength, agility, grace and on and on and on. Why don't we emphasize this vs relating to a color (mean green). IMO, this is really very lame. I just cannot get attached and fired up over being called a mean color. I can be proud of Eagle comparison for reasons stated above. Next, in keeping with being the Eagles, let's put an Eagle on our helmets. Really like the one in trud1966's avatar. It is graphicly pleasing and emphasizes who we are. If the script hounds have to see lettering then place NT or UNT inside the Eagle. Finally, if "mean green" has been around so long that the ole timers cannot part with it then lets add Eagles on the end. We have to come back to the Eagles somehow. My perception is that we hear only "mean green" more often than "Eagles" or "mean green Eagles" on the radio, TV and even the stadium PA announcer. Guess I am more traditional in staying the course with mascot and identity and not diluting/convoluting what is one of the best mascots in the USofA regardless of sports level (hs, college or pro). If not mistaking, somehow one player altered the identity (mean Joe Greene) of UNT. Maybe ok for his era but not right for eternity of school. My naysayers repeatedly refer to Alabama and Crimson Tide. If your school mascot is an elephant (or yellow bellied whipperwill or golden throated warbler) than by all means do all you can to divert attention to some other form of identity (poor example). Yes, "mean green" it is unique but that doesn't mean it isn't weak. Let's compromise! Go "MEAN GREEN EAGLES"!! Anyone agree?

Thanks for listening! The dog has been spared this morning. Still not in Plumm Mean Green status though (not multi-colored and not long enough).

Edited by football fan

I like being the Mean Green. Having the Eagle is cool, but there are hundreds, if not thousands, of high schools and colleges that use the Eagle. Like they say on The Ticket, "Look out that window".

Being the Mean Green, and having the Eagle as a mascot is like being in a club, we may have a goofy tradition, but it's OUR tradition. Ask Alabama and the Tide/elephant.

All of that aside......I think we should have the SOW on the helmet.......in green if the helemt is white.

I think we should emphasize being the UNT EAGLES!!!!!!! The Eagle is our country's mascot. The Eagle is a sign of speed, courage, strength, agility, grace and on and on and on. Why don't we emphasize this vs relating to a color (mean green).

SIGH???

Many Eagles, ONE MEAN GREEN. It's a marketing, identity, promotable, sell your university thing. Plus, it's TRADITION!

I do feel it's time to have the SOW on the helmet now though. But our team is and always will be.....the MEAN GREEN, Eagles.

Rick