White Helmet With North Texas

Smitty

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a thought...Todd Dodge threw to receivers wearing a white helmet at Texas. And he had his quaterbacks throw to receivers wearing a white helmet at Southlake Carroll.

I wonder what color the helmets were at his Beaumont high school ?

Join the Mean Green

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Just a thought...Todd Dodge threw to receivers wearing a white helmet at Texas. And he had his quaterbacks throw to receivers wearing a white helmet at Southlake Carroll.

I wonder what color the helmets were at his Beaumont high school ?

Join the Mean Green

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

Dodge played for Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson HS. And yes, I believe the helmets were white.

This is a question all white helmet lovers should ask themselves:

"How would I feel about an all black helmet for the Mean Green?"

Either will be odd, IMO. The Tide have Crimson helmets, the Orange(men) have orange helmets, and teh Mean Green should have GREEN HELMETS.

:shuriken:

Edited by Got5onIt

This is a question all white helmet lovers should ask themselves:

"How would I feel about an all black helmet for the Mean Green?"

Either will be odd, IMO. The Tide have Crimson helmets, the Orange(men) have orange helmets, and teh Mean Green should have GREEN HELMETS.

:shuriken:

Totally agree!!!!!

Give me a list of D1A Teams that have a white helmet and are bigtime programs. The white helmet looks very HIGH SCHOOL come on GREEN is a big part of our identity let PLEASE STICK WITH IT

OK Texas and Tennessee cant think of many other of sig and Those schools have had it for eons

Edited by MeanGreenSig

Give me a list of D1A Teams that have a white helmet and are bigtime programs. The white helmet looks very HIGH SCHOOL come on GREEN is a big part of our identity let PLEASE STICK WITH IT

I can think of several big-time programs with white helmets:

Texas

Nebraska

Penn State

Miami

Auburn

Louisville

Tennessee

I prefer a green helmet, too, but I have a bigger argument with putting "NORTH TEXAS" on the helmet instead of the new logo. I would be okay with a green or white helmet with the new Eagle logo on it.

Edited by Smitty

Totally agree!!!!!

OK Texas and Tennessee cant think of many other of sig and Those schools have had it for eons

Three things are more important than color:

1. Identity. Gotta settle on a distinctive logo and hammer it home with the public. A simple and instantly recognizable logo is way better than words. The longhorn is the best example. When you see that, you don't have to ask any more questions.

2. Consistency. This is a rapidly evolving program. It's still seeking its identity. The new look needs to signal that this program is new and exciting. And it needs to be kept intact pretty much forever or you've failed the product branding test. That means you really only get one chance to adopt a successful new look, so make it right the first time.

3. Crossing the goal line. If white helps us do that, and I'll defer to QB and WR experts on that, wear white.

Totally agree!!!!!

Teams with passing offenses that have white has their primary helmet color.

Miami

BYU (are they still white?)

Louisville

Miami

Tennessee

Texas

Marshall

Then again, there are many passing schools with colored helmets.

Texas Tech

USC

UCLA

Oregon

Oregon State especially under Ericson

Florida State

Florida

South Carolina

Houston

Don't think it really matters, but I prefer a Green helmet over white anyday!

I can think of several big-time programs with white helmets:

Texas

Nebraska

Penn State

Miami

Auburn

Louisville

Tennessee

I prefer a green helmet, too, but I have a bigger argument with putting "NORTH TEXAS" on the helmet instead of the new logo. I would be okay with a green or white helmet with the new Eagle logo on it.

Agreed. I prefer Green, but the color of the helmet isnt the problem. I can live with White. White to me looks very collegiate. I guess alot of people think a white helmet looks like it was bought off the shelf and someone slapped a sticker on it. I dont think they realize that the helmets are actually white painted finish. But I never can get over how the powers that be cant get on board with the idea of a good insignia on the helmet. I think turning it into a "billboard" with simple text is the laziest uncreative answer.

Edited by trud1966

I would like to see a helmet with an alien holding a gun in one hand, and a north texas logo in the other, and we should have the alien surrounded by flames, and have a mean looking look on his face just for extra intimidation... thats just my opinion though

In addition to "North Texas" on the helmet, I believe we should add "University of" just in case those watching the game don't know it's a college game. <_<

WHY do we need the name of the school on our helmet instead of a unique logo??

Edited by NT80

Dodge played for Port Arthur Thomas Jefferson HS. And yes, I believe the helmets were white.

No, I played against Todd Dodge in HS and the PA Jeff helmets were maroon:

41606730_o.jpg

Dodge on the left and Brent Duhon on the right.

PA Jeff's colors were maroon and gold.

Ok, serious suggestion.

What if we had white helmets and instead of the "North Texas" on the side, we had a large green Crayola Crayon with an angry face on each side.

Think about it. It would be completely unique to our school (unless of course Syracuse caught wind of my brilliant idea, but I think if we act fast we can ensure we will be the firsts to this party) and it accomplishes two things we (pretty much) all agree are of utmost importance: No "words" on the helmet, yet still provides a quite literal representation of who we are.

Plus, it would look outstanding on Fox in all of our BCS Bowls.

If someone would be so kind as to put together a mockup we can send it to RV, that would be greatly appreciated. The sooner we get the ball rolling, the sooner the rest of the nation will know just who the "Mean" green really are!

Edited by Eagle1855

In addition to "North Texas" on the helmet, I believe we should add "University of" just in case those watching the game don't know it's a college game. <_<

WHY do we need the name of the school on our helmet instead of a unique logo??

This question makes me lose sleep. Not sure anyone has the answer, but I've stated before, that somewhere WAY in the past, I saw an article online, cant remember if it was Dallas Morning News, or, Denton Record Chronical. It was basically the press release regarding the change in helmet design from the old various Eagle heads on the side, to the Brush Script Text that originally said "North Texas". I dont recall if it quoted anyone in particular, seemed more like it quoted "UNT Officials say they chose the text because it would let people quickly identify who the school was, moreso than an insignia = DUH, MUST BE NORF TEXAS CUZ IT SEZ NORF TEXAS, RIGHT DARE ON DA HELMHAT. So to me, everytime I see text on the helmet, it symbolizes that the Ath. Dept. or whoever isnt even trying to think outside the box. They want a billboard, because God forbid, if we had an actual insignia, people would just be completely lost as to who that team is. Bottom line, if the TEAM is good, people WILL assymilate the logo WITH the team. People know who the Michigan Wolverines are, and it's not because it say's "Michigan" on the helmet. Do I sound bitter?

Lose the Text, ADD an insignia players will have to earn, we can be proud of, and the nation will identify with.

This question makes me lose sleep. Not sure anyone has the answer, but I've stated before, that somewhere WAY in the past, I saw an article online, cant remember if it was Dallas Morning News, or, Denton Record Chronical. It was basically the press release regarding the change in helmet design from the old various Eagle heads on the side, to the Brush Script Text that originally said "North Texas". I dont recall if it quoted anyone in particular, seemed more like it quoted "UNT Officials say they chose the text because it would let people quickly identify who the school was, moreso than an insignia = DUH, MUST BE NORF TEXAS CUZ IT SEZ NORF TEXAS, RIGHT DARE ON DA HELMHAT. So to me, everytime I see text on the helmet, it symbolizes that the Ath. Dept. or whoever isnt even trying to think outside the box. They want a billboard, because God forbid, if we had an actual insignia, people would just be completely lost as to who that team is. Bottom line, if the TEAM is good, people WILL assymilate the logo WITH the team. People know who the Michigan Wolverines are, and it's not because it say's "Michigan" on the helmet. Do I sound bitter?

Lose the Text, ADD an insignia players will have to earn, we can be proud of, and the nation will identify with.

Just playing devils advocate here, but 4 straight NO Bowls didn't seem to shake off the STATE in North Texas that the media seems so stubborn to attach to our name.

You'd think people could get the simple things so easily, but they don't.

Edited by greenminer

I assume since your name has 1966 in it that you have been watching this program for quite some time. But in case you don'tj recall, the qoute you speak of came from RV when he got here in '01. Prior to that our crowds, and the interest the outside world had in our program looked something similer to the roaring crowd shown here:

nmsugame2000.jpg

Also, Denton was less than a year removed from being named the Sporting News's worse sports town. The Helwig regime tried to increase awareness and and sales by doing the unthinkable, changing our school colors, which failed miserably as I told him it would. All said and done, RV stepped into a mess, recognition wise and we needed a boost, pronto. Going on past experience with the success that Southern Miss had when they changed their helmets from USM(United States, Marines?????) to "Southern Miss" they saw an increase in sales and recognition almost immediately. So RV decided to do the same here so that everytime a photo was taken of a player and put in a newspaper or news report that there would be no mistaking who we were. Because at the time, we were not winning, and there was zero notion that things would improve anytime soon. However, it did just that. We won, went bowling and got recognized and the new "Scripted" North Texas did what it was suppose to do, get our name out there. I agree that once the run in conference and the bowl was over with it was a chance to go with the new designs. However, they were not debuted until April of '05 and the AD dept was not told which one of those debuted could be used on athletic uni's until the middle of the summer of '05. It may have been the perfect time to change to a logo that summer, but I don't believe the SOW was available yet. Last summer was the time to change if at all. Personally, I understand the recognition problem and feel that RV has the best pulse on it and I will give him the benefit of the doubt as to when, if ever that will happen. Even though, personally, I'd like neither, but rather the NT Exes interlocking "NT" instead.

Rick

When we first changed our helmets to just "North Texas" I wasn't happy about it then but I bought off on the "when you see us in an action photo you'll know who we are" bit. No more. Time to look like we're in 1-A, not D-III. Put the goofy North Texas on the jersey sleeve, if you must, but put a LOGO, son of worm or interlocked NT, on the helmet!

Edited by NT80