Nt's Big Linemen

Charlie NT 73

While looking at EastTexasMG's photos of spring practice, I saw #78, Nick Foster-

man is he a big guy! That sparked a question in my mind. Who were the some of

the biggest O/D linemen that have played for NT?

I remember Rex Humbarger (sp?), DE, that played for Hayden Fry who

was 6-9, 270lbs, signed as a free agent to the Pittsburg Steelers. Remember

that Fry's DE's would use a stand up stance at DE position. Rex would bat

down passes left and right! I always liked the DE's to stand up.

Another player, Brad Woolsley (sp?) OT, was around 6-8, 290lbs.

Do you guy's recall any other behemoth's that played for NT?

While looking at EastTexasMG's photos of spring practice, I saw #78, Nick Foster-

Biggest I can remember James Rodewell (?) played for Parker until health issues surfaced. Playing defensive tackle I saw him literally collapse a whole side of the offensive line. He was listed at 6'6 350 but was probably around 400 lbs. Tom Gipson whose son latter played on the NT basketball team was 6'9 300 + lbs, a giant when he played in 1970. The biggest running back to play for the Green, ex-basketball player Stan Blackman who played both te and rb for Fry at 6'7 1/2 245.

Hey Everybody,

Here's a funny story about Coach Parker and James Rodwell. During the off-season we used to do an early morning program called Wings. It was one hour long... mat drills, foot drills, all kinds of stuff... for about three weeks, I think.

Anyway, if you finished Wings you got an ugly looking T-shirt (Coach Parker liked them). I remember going into his office to get my shirt. He had them all lying on his desk in three piles. He said (insert Coach Parker lisp as you'd like), "Mitch, grab your shirt. Those are XL, those are double XL, and that one is Rodwell."

I laughed, and won't ever forget it. Rodwell was a big dude.

I hope to make it down to practice on April 11 and 13. We'll see.

Take care,

Mitch Maher

Hey Everybody,

Here's a funny story about Coach Parker and James Rodwell. During the off-season we used to do an early morning program called Wings. It was one hour long... mat drills, foot drills, all kinds of stuff... for about three weeks, I think.

Anyway, if you finished Wings you got an ugly looking T-shirt (Coach Parker liked them). I remember going into his office to get my shirt. He had them all lying on his desk in three piles. He said (insert Coach Parker lisp as you'd like), "Mitch, grab your shirt. Those are XL, those are double XL, and that one is Rodwell."

Take care,

Mitch Maher

Good to hear from you, Mitch!

I remember Stan Blackman- played BB for NT. Fry got Stan to try out for FB,

played TE, later drafted by the Packers if I remember correctly. I beleive

Stan only played FB for one season. Fry also tried to lure another BB player,

Tom Wolf, (from Boston), played point guard for NT, to RB. Wolf was a

real good point guard on the BB team.

Hey Everybody,

Take care,

Mitch Maher

HAHA Classic!

Hey Everybody,

Take care,

Mitch Maher

What's up Mitch? Big Rod was my boy. BTW, he was taller than 6'6" (closer to 6'8") and was close to 380lbs. They literally took him to a matress factory to weigh him! I remember taking him home from practice one day in my Honda Prelude! The 2 wheels on the left side were barely touching the road and I had to go extra slow over speed bumps to prevent bottoming out the frame! I tried to take Big Rod under my wing and help him to adjust, but I think the commitment on the college level was a little too much for him to take, especially with Parker who was really strict on weight limit. Which brings me to the second biggest guy to come through NT (only guys from 1990 will remember him) - Scott Riddle from Longview.

Scott Riddle was 6'6" (roughly 335 to 350) with the widest shoulders I've ever seen. Bryon Gross is a close friend (sorry Byron), but I saw Scott Riddle dang near drive Gross to the track around the field. Gross couldn't get around him! Funny story - Riddle hurt his foot at practice and was sent in to the trainer and he didn't come back out. After practice, I go in to get some ice treatment and team doctor walks in with Scott. Scott's on crutches and they send him into the locker room to get dressed while the doctor and our head trainer (Tim) talk. The doctor says, "What the hell did you send me?" Tim replies, "Yeah, that's a big boy isn't he? So, how's his foot?" Dr. replies, "Foot? Foot? I just told him he broke his dorsal fin!"

That Spring Parker came in and after spring ball gave all the linemen a weight limit to be under by 2-adays. Scott showed up in his beat up truck, never unpacked, went to weigh-ins, came straight out, back into his truck and drove straight back to Longview. I haven't seen him since then.

Edited by GMoney

Funny stuff!

I will say for Nick Foster that he seems to move pretty good for his size. he dominated his man in the '06 Oil Bowl game. I'm hoping he moves up the depth chart and gets some playing time this season.

Rick

I'm just hoping he doesn't succumb to the Curse of the Oil Bowl.

The Curse of the Oil Bowl is when GMG board members go to Wichita Falls to watch UNT recruits and then report to the board. Ike Thomas got real bad heat stroke. Tim Patton chose not to attend UNT.

When we played B.Young in Utah' I'll never forget a D lineman with the name Broutoski (sp) from Houston. They called him Bruno. He was 6'9" all of 350ish lbs. soph that we used on goalline coverage. They were on our 3 yard line & he came in & personally pushed the guard & tackle back two plays in a roll on our left side. He did't play his jr. year. What a load when he was in!

GMG

I'm just hoping he doesn't succumb to the Curse of the Oil Bowl.

The Curse of the Oil Bowl is when GMG board members go to Wichita Falls to watch UNT recruits and then report to the board. Ike Thomas got real bad heat stroke. Tim Patton chose not to attend UNT.

And in 2000 I remember Harry Miers coming back from Wichita Falls reporting to us here about this fireplug from East Texas that earned the MVP of the defense that night. I believe he went by the name of "Booger"? Seems he turned out OK.

Per the 2002 Season:

Kennedy Lead NT's Sun Belt All-Conference Honorees

Courtesy: University of North Texas

Release: 11/20/2002

DENTON-Kennedy was named the Sun Belt’s Player of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year after finishing second in the nation with 24 tackles for loss. Kennedy led the league with nine quarterback sacks and tallied a career-high 72 tackles, which lead all Sun Belt defensive linemen. It is the second straight year that a Mean Green player earned the Defensive Player of the Year award.

The North Texas defense that led the conference in every defensive statistical category and ranked No. 3 nationally in scoring defense was honored with six players on the first team. Kennedy, who was a unanimous choice on the defensive line, was joined by teammates Taylor Casey, Darrell Daniels, Craig Jones, Don McGee and Cody Spencer. Other than Kennedy, all were making their first appearance on the all-conference first team and only Jones and Spencer had ever earned any all-conference recognition.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick