Carroll/Allen reflections

emmitt01

1)Anybody could coach Carroll because of their superior athletes. I mean, to a man they were smaller, and not as strong as the guy across from them. Who wouldn't be able to coach a team that doesn't have all the physical advantages? dry.gif

2)The spread will leave no room for Jamario. I think Tre Newton only had about 25-30 carries. How in the world will Jamario survive on that? dry.gif

3)Todd Dodge gets way more people at his Carroll games than he will at Fouts. There were over 25,000 people at this game. Nevermind that Carroll's home stadium holds only 11,000.

4)The facilities he has now blow away the ones at North Texas. Fouts Field doesn't even come close to Texas Stadium.

Maybe it's just that they are pissed we are getting their coach.  How did the NT tailgating go at the game?

I talked to several Carrol fans that said they were happy for us and happy

for TD. Another University of North Texas fan that I went with actually talked

a Carrol fan into buying season tickets.

Anyone think some of those shovel passes and quick slant crossing pattern plays will be exciting to see at North Texas? Personally, can't wait.

The North Texas gear got a few funny looks, but most people I've talked to are very understanding. This situation just makes too much sense.

The team ran through a huge "Dodge, thanks for the memories" sign after half time...very cool.

If you looked just at the stands on each side...it looked like a North Texas vs. SMU game. Same colors.

I thought I saw you when I was walking around Emmitt...I sat about midfield on the SLC side and had a blast. Riley was obviously still hurt from the two big hits he's taken this postseason and it was fun to watch Dodge adjust his offense back and forth. He came out looking to air it out, suffered an early set back, and then mixed it up a bit until the run was firmly established. Riley made a few plays (1 great TD pass and the bomb where the DB just tripped over himself and was beaten anyway) and Tre did the rest. All I could think about is how well Dodge could use Thomas and Robertson regardless of who our QB is. I would say Woody would be great if he could get a quick hold of this system though. This is much more cerebral than anything we've ever run (as is me vacuuming my rug or shampooing my merkin.)

Allen was almost bigger at every position on the field and it didn't matter. The SLC defense was not even what I would call amazingly fast, but everyone was disciplined and reacted quickly. The option based offense Allen turned too after their starting QB went down would hit on a play or two, but they were unable to overmatch a smaller line. The OLB's were used alternately to blitz and were able to beat what seemed to look like fairly competent tackles. Allen also had a big wide receiver in #82 (not their star) who towered over Corner covering him, but was unable to shake free of him and ended up getting so pissed he was hitting and punching the guy and giving up on plays. By the time I left in the 4th he hadn't caught a single ball and looked ready to slap his own momma. In fact, by half time, the Allen team seemingly had the life beaten out of it and they took a few cheap personal foul penalties and never got back on their game. It was nice to see Todd break their will in 24 minutes, then pretty much call off the dogs and win with class.

The Dodge sign was great too after the half and his wife teared up which was sweet. The locker room is 100% behind his move to NT, and they have dedicated this game and next week to honoring him the way he deserves. Several SLC fans asked me about NT and who they play next year and when I mentioned OU they said don't be shocked when its a close game. Several of them plan to make as many of our games as they can as well.

A few more scatter shots: Riley has not told anyone he is interested in NT yet, and has been contacted by SMU and Rice already. HE says he wants OU or Mizzou. but it is still early. The entire SLC operation seemed incredibly classy and tight. The band looked like it was actually having fun, the dancers were great, the people were nice, and even STOOD for most of the game. I'm hoping Dodge can bring some of that crowd mojo with him as well.

In summation, get ready to celebrate Dodgemas this year. If you live in SA, maybe try to catch the championship next week (is it against Westlake BTW?) I may be losing a Quoner, but I'm gaining a massive pair of Dodgeballs for next seasons.

Edit: The WR I mentioned was 82, not 22. I think 22 is their stud white receiver (since we like to talk race now)

Edited by Quoner

One more thing.  I got a lot of sideways looks from Carroll people.  I think it was my North Texas t-shirt or it could just be that they're not used to seeing black people that aren't in a Carroll jersey.

Emmitt01 - Thanks for coming out to support TD and the Dragons. You are very observant and understand more than most. Rally the troops and get ready to build a new stadium, your going to need it. Until then, maybe NTU should get a vision to rent Dragon…… I mean Texas Stadium on Saturdays. It will be available for good in fall 2009.

You have to understand that almost every fan that is not in a Carroll jersey is there to see the Dragons get beat. Some opposing fans (including those who aren't even form the opposing team) choose to take advantage of the public venues like Dragon…...I gotta stop that…..Texas Stadium to sit in the sea of green, only to cheer for the Dragon's defeat. I hope you guys don't have to wait long to experience that up north. Just remember the sideways look (or worse).......you will need it some day.

I can promise that every Dragon fan that I know (and that's many) are excited about TD going to NTU. TD coaches "family" and fans are a part of that family (that's not just coaching BS). True families celebrate promotions. Are we sad he will not be on our sidelines, yes? Are we happy his family will be with us all week and in the stands on Fridays, yes? We give up a coach we new was eventually leaving but get to keep an awesome family who are now free to just chill and be friends (except while winning at NTU). Few ever get that opportunity in the coaching profession.

Trust me, there will be many in SL making their way north on Saturdays. Our circle of fans openly discussed season tickets just today. By the way, that circle included at least four different skin colors. I could take you to any place in SL right now without concern about sideways looks for being black. SL is not what it appears.

My family looks forward to joining you guys whenever we can on Saturdays. Just look for the new older fans in green (many toting radical kids) acting like they are still in college. We are related so no sideways looks please…..promise?

Edited by Cool

Emmitt01 - Thanks for coming out to support TD and the Dragons.  You are very observant and understand more than most.  Rally the troops and get ready to build a new stadium, your going to need it.  Until then, maybe NTU should get a vision to rent Dragon…… I mean Texas Stadium on Saturdays.  It will be available for good in fall 2009.

You have to understand that almost every fan that is not in a Carroll jersey is there to see the Dragons get beat.  Some opposing fans (including those who aren't even form the opposing team) choose to take advantage of the public venues like Dragon…...I gotta stop that…..Texas Stadium to sit in the sea of green, only to cheer for the Dragon's defeat.  I hope you guys don't have to wait long to experience that up north.  Just remember the sideways look (or worse).......you will need it some day.

I can promise that every Dragon fan that I know (and that's many) are excited about TD going to NTU. TD coaches "family" and fans are a part of that family (that's not just coaching BS).  True families celebrate promotions.  Are we sad he will not be on our sidelines, yes?  Are we happy his family will be with us all week and in the stands on Fridays, yes?  We give up a coach we new was eventually leaving but get to keep an awesome family who are now free to just chill and be friends (except while winning at NTU). Few ever get that opportunity in the coaching profes

sion.

Trust me, there will be many in SL making their way north on Saturdays.  Our circle of fans openly discussed season tickets just today.  By the way, that circle included at least four different skin colors.  I could take you to any place in SL right now without concern about sideways looks for being black.  SL is not what it appears.

My family looks forward to joining you guys whenever we can on Saturdays.  Just look for the new older fans in green (many toting radical kids) acting like they are still in college.  We are related so no sideways looks please…..promise?

I hope you (and everyone) know that the "black" comment was me being facetious.

I thought I saw you when I was walking around Emmitt...I sat about midfield on the SLC side and had a blast. Riley was obviously still hurt from the two big hits he's taken this postseason and it was fun to watch Dodge adjust his offense back and forth. He came out looking to air it out, suffered an early set back, and then mixed it up a bit until the run was firmly established. Riley made a few plays (1 great TD pass and the bomb where the DB just tripped over himself and was beaten anyway) and Tre did the rest. All I could think about is how well Dodge could use Thomas and Robertson regardless of who our QB is. I would say Woody would be great if he could get a quick hold of this system though. This is much more cerebral than anything we've ever run (as is me vacuuming my rug or shampooing my merkin.)

Allen was almost bigger at every position on the field and it didn't matter. The SLC defense was not even what I would call amazingly fast, but everyone was disciplined and reacted quickly. The option based offense Allen turned too after their starting QB went down would hit on a play or two, but they were unable to overmatch a smaller line. The OLB's were used alternately to blitz and were able to beat what seemed to look like fairly competent tackles. Allen also had a big wide receiver in #22 (not there star) who towered over Corner covering him, but was unable to shake free of him and ended up getting so pissed he was hitting and punching the guy and giving up on plays. By the time I left in the 4th he hadn't caught a single ball and looked ready to slap his own momma. In fact, by half time, the Allen team seemingly had the life beaten out of it and they took a few cheap personal foul penalties and never got back on their game. It was nice to see Todd break their will in 24 minutes, then pretty much call off the dogs and win with class.

The Dodge sign was great too after the half and his wife teared up which was sweet. The locker room is 100% behind his move to NT, and they have dedicated this game and next week to honoring him the way he deserves. Several SLC fans asked me about NT and who they play next year and when I mentioned OU they said don't be shocked when its a close game. Several of them plan to make as many of our games as they can as well.

A few more scatter shots: Riley has not told anyone he is interested in NT yet, and has been contacted by SMU and Rice already. HE says he wants OU or Mizzou.  but it is still early. The entire SLC operation seemed incredibly classy and tight. The band looked like it was actually having fun, the dancers were great, the people were nice, and even STOOD for most of the game. I'm hoping Dodge can bring some of that crowd mojo with him as well.

In summation, get ready to celebrate Dodgemas this year. If you live in SA, maybe try to catch the championship next week (is it against Westlake BTW?) I may be losing a Quoner, but I'm gaining a massive pair of Dodgeballs for next seasons.

I enjoy reading your posts

-gm

Emmitt01 - Thanks for coming out to support TD and the Dragons.  You are very observant and understand more than most.  Rally the troops and get ready to build a new stadium, your going to need it.  Until then, maybe NTU should get a vision to rent Dragon…… I mean Texas Stadium on Saturdays.  It will be available for good in fall 2009.

You have to understand that almost every fan that is not in a Carroll jersey is there to see the Dragons get beat.  Some opposing fans (including those who aren't even form the opposing team) choose to take advantage of the public venues like Dragon…...I gotta stop that…..Texas Stadium to sit in the sea of green, only to cheer for the Dragon's defeat.  I hope you guys don't have to wait long to experience that up north.  Just remember the sideways look (or worse).......you will need it some day.

I can promise that every Dragon fan that I know (and that's many) are excited about TD going to NTU. TD coaches "family" and fans are a part of that family (that's not just coaching BS).  True families celebrate promotions.  Are we sad he will not be on our sidelines, yes?  Are we happy his family will be with us all week and in the stands on Fridays, yes?  We give up a coach we new was eventually leaving but get to keep an awesome family who are now free to just chill and be friends (except while winning at NTU). Few ever get that opportunity in the coaching profession.

Trust me, there will be many in SL making their way north on Saturdays.  Our circle of fans openly discussed season tickets just today.  By the way, that circle included at least four different skin colors.  I could take you to any place in SL right now without concern about sideways looks for being black.  SL is not what it appears.

My family looks forward to joining you guys whenever we can on Saturdays.  Just look for the new older fans in green (many toting radical kids) acting like they are still in college.  We are related so no sideways looks please…..promise?

Welcome Cool and SLC fans to the Mean Green.

Welcome Cool and SLC fans to the Mean Green.

yeah... I don't know about emmitt, but I don't know how the SLC folks keep getting excited about scoring touchdowns. I mean, I was jumping up and hollering like a madman until the third touchdown. Then... i don't know. It just wasn't a surprise anymore. I just expected them to score. I KNEW Carroll was going to score, it was just a matter of how many times you wanted to give them the ball to do it.

Cheered my guts out for the Dragons, but I have to say I'm not used to cheering THAT hard, THAT much in a game. Astounding. Emmitt and I will try to make the trip to San Antonio to watch Dodge go out in a blaze of glory.

For anyone who has not seen an SLC game: preparation, execution, and discipline are not just things that are "nice to see." They are expected, and show up like clockwork. From the opening kickoff, there just really was never any feeling that Allen had any chance. Complete and total domination.

Cheered my guts out for the Dragons, but I have to say I'm not used to cheering THAT hard, THAT much in a game.  Astounding.  Emmitt and I will try to make the trip to San Antonio to watch Dodge go out in a blaze of glory.

First blow-out I ever recall witnessing was my senior year in high school. We were up 35-0 by half-time, threw in the subs after the break and never were really threatened in a 35-7 win.

I swear I was so tired of playing the fight song, I wanted to put the horn up. Thank God we didn't have to do much after the half-time show.

-gm

We went to the game as well. It was me and my husband and our little one. She wore her Mean Green cheer outfit and cheered the Dragons on to victory.

It was fun. I am soooo excited about the upcoming season. Can't happen soon enough.

Me too, exicited that is---we had 5 UNT'ers in our group.

About 2 years ago, Denton Ryan played SLC on ESPN. The anouncers went into the mind set and "culture" of football in Southlake.

The Junior Highs are Dragons. The city refused to build another high school for fear of spliting the talent. The school is busting at the seams and they want to stay ONE high school. All the kids are engraned in the Dragon mentality.

You are correct. Southlake Carrol High School will continue to win championships after Todd Dodge is here and gone from UNT.

We, my friend John and I, got there 3 hours before the game and sat on the 50 among the Dragon families. Everyone we talked with was excited for TD. I was asked twice by Carroll fans how to get season tickets. People that have never had any interest in coming to UNT games now are excited and want to come watch UNT.

I have a feeling the atmosphere at Fouts Field will soon be dramaticaly changed.

We had a great day today. The game was an ass whipping by SLC. People were leaving shortly after halftime. Jub Jub sat over and behind us getting a first hand look at the new coach. I took some photos below of the Dragons on both sides of the ball. Notice any 300 pounder O linemen? Any 6'4'' 250 pound rangy D Ends? No. Allen had all the size on the lines plus two basketball player looking 6'4'' plus rangy recievers on their side of the ball. Not Carrol. Allen was much bigger on both sides of the ball. But the discipline by Carrol was unmatched, as they usually are. Their recievers are average looking size with average speed but they run routes and catch the ball like pros. And as Emmitt said, tons of under-control type play where they simply do their job and move on. No "in your face" type penalties of any kind.

user posted image

Tailgating before the game.

user posted image

A look at Allen on offense.

user posted image

Another look at Allen's offensive front.

user posted image

Carrol's offensive front.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick