New Orleans Privateers

Buford_Julep

So we lost to a 4-6 New Orleans team before a NO home crowd of what, 200 fans?  Bad loss guys. mad.gif  But hey, we have Jarvis Christian and Bellhaven we can beat up on to pad our record. dry.gif

They should have a seprate forum just for Mean Green bashing.. It amazes me how many fans get on here just to bash THIER own teams.. come one people

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should have a seprate forum just for Mean Green bashing.. It amazes me how many fans get on here just to bash THIER own teams.. come one people

This board is fine, why don't you establish a board that only allows ultra positive posts. Not sure you will have a lot of traffic, if you think pointing out defensive laspes when a player hits 39 or pointing out that free throws may be a problem when you miss 5 in one overtime period, is bashing.

This board is fine, why don't you establish a board that only allows ultra positive posts.  Not sure you will have a lot of traffic, if you think pointing out defensive laspes when a player hits 39 or pointing out that free throws may be a problem when you miss 5 in one overtime period, is bashing.

There is a difference in constructive critism and straight up bashing a team.. i'll be the first to point out that UNT lost the game because of Free throw shooting, but if you come on here, and imply that North Texas can't fix the problem, and will always be bad because of it, then ya I consider that bashing

but if you come on here, and imply that North Texas can't fix the problem, and will always be bad because of it, then ya I consider that bashing

That is not bashing, it is the truth. JJ's teams have been mediocre FT shooting teams at best, but usually are poor, especially late in games it seems. How many close games and whole seasons do we have to see go down the drain due to the same problems?

I will bash a little. NO beats NT twice last year without their best two players and suffering through the effects of Katrina. Now NO with a new coach and playing in some makeshift facility with an announced crowd of 400+ again beats NT. This is a NO team that lost a home game to Nowestern State. Everyone knows that if you can slow down Bo M. then you should easily win, however NT allows him to get his all time high albeit with two overtimes. Everyone in the gym knows that Bo will get the ball at the end of regulation, yet NT lets him score with a layup and tie the game. Good team's play smarter than this.

Edited by GrandGreen

This loss hurts but it is not a bad loss. Thier best player played great, and has everyone forgoten that KD is out. We could easily be 1-9 right now. I still think this team is the second best team in the belt, with KD.

A coach has no control over players making freethrows. Even though Don't understand why we cant make them, tonight was terrible and lost us the game.

This loss hurts but it is not a bad loss. Thier best player played great, and has everyone forgoten that KD is out. We could easily be 1-9 right now. I still think this team is the second best team in the belt, with KD.

A coach has no control over players making freethrows. Even though Don't understand why we cant make them, tonight was terrible and lost us the game.

Yup UNO is a good team just like that 0-10 Nicholls St. team that we barely beat.

Guess what JJ is not going to get this team anywhere other than the 1st round of the Sun Belt Tournament

A coach definitely has control on how well his players shoot FTs. I've had coaches who didn't really put an emphasis on FTs, and a coach who put a huge emphasis on FTs and there was a difference in how those teams shot FTs.

And yes, this is a bad loss. When you lose in double OT and shoot 11-29 from the FT line, that is a very bad loss. Shoot an average 70-75% and that is a win.

Guys, a uno fan here.

First, let me say just how impressive the UNT kids are. ALL of them are big, ALL of them can shoot and they played their tails off. Both sides did. Neither team deserved to lose this one. I agree with some of you about ft shooting if only because our guys, up until recently, couldn't buy a ft. Last year they were pitiful. This year, not much better until the last few games. Bo was horrible on ft's until this off season. Not sure what he did to get better but he's better now.

Most of us here felt, and still do, that except for WKU, you guys are the top of the league right now. SB play is tough and anyone can beat anyone else, esp. this year. You guys just happened to have 2 road games to start the season and have KD out. Believe me, you'll do lots of damage in the west. Other than UALR, this side isn't too good.

I would like to make one comment, and it's not meant in an ugly was but, some of the comments on this thread alluding to such a small crowd in a rinky dink gym are a little off base. None of us like having to play there 2 years in a row but, since FEMA, the state of LA and ins. companies are not helping with our arena, there's a chance that we won't have it back next year either. Also, it should be notetd that we haven't had good crowds for some time now but if you take the fact that the students are off AND that the WHOLE area around UNO is desolate, I think maybe you should have some understanding why. Katrina knocked that area down and out and, passing there today, still breaks our hearts. Please try to be understanding here. I'm not asking for pity, just understanding.

Right now, about all we have to be positive about is our UNO teams and the saints....we sure can't count on our govt. I know the negative stories coming out of the media and understand the stuff some of our so called citizens have done in Dallas, Houston, etc, but we're not all like that. I just wish you guys could see if for yourself with your own eyes. It makes a difference.

Sorry for the long post but I just had to make sure you guys didn't have the wrong impression of our place nor the wrong idea of how good your guys really are. Good luck the rest of the way.

So we lost to a 4-6 New Orleans team before a NO home crowd of what, 200 fans?  Bad loss guys. mad.gif  But hey, we have Jarvis Christian and Bellhaven we can beat up on to pad our record. dry.gif

Never underestimate any team. NO won their opener a few days ago.

It was a tough loss, but I hope JJ and company can bounce back from this.

Thanks for the post Reduno. Many people here went to the New Orleans bowls the football team played in a few years ago and I imagine that most, including myself, are hoping to see the New Orleans area return to normal as soon as possible. I don't think that the posts here about your gym and crowds are meant to belittle the team or school, but just to point out that it wasn't exactly a huge home crowd advantage for UNO. We have an awesome arena and we still can't get the crowds we should, especially during the Christmas break.

You are right about our team. The guys are very athletic and talented, which has been the case for a number of years. The problem lies in a few areas in which we never seem to improve upon significantly(FT shooting, TOs, poor shot selection). I think many of us are just ready to see our team play to its potential.

let's see..... JJ's teams, 5 years in, are still missing FTs, taking bad fouls, and are incapable of winning so much as one conference tourney game.

What's going to change, exactly? Hell, at least DD won 4 championships.... maybe it's just that we're not really a Hoops school that we're not ALL OVER this program?!?

If there is a miracle drill for making freethrows ya'll should sell them to Shaq and Tim Duncan. I bet you could makie a killing on that. Even UNO superstar shot 58%. As much as it hurts me every freakin time we miss free throws it is not JJ fault.

I don't think loosing to the team picked to go second plus had some first place votes while this is our fourth road game in a row also not having our best player means the sky is falling.

We won't win anymore games shooting FT less then 50%.

But they did improve on the turnover problems. Still need more work!

Also can some one tell me why we can't do anything right in the final seconds of games?

Vs. UTA man goes full court and passes to wide open man for layup.

Vs. Rice we can't make free throws and if Almond makes a three we would have lost.

Vs. Tulsa we miss 2 free throws, then foul a man shooting threes, and then can't rebound.

Vs. UNO the man who everybody knows will take the shot goes full court to tie game,

can't make a free throw, then foul another three point shooter.

This realy concrerns me about this team. They don't have that winners spirit in them. In those times it is gut check time, you either have a heart of a champion or you don't.

Edited by untwillrise

If there is a miracle drill for making freethrows ya'll should sell them to Shaq and Tim Duncan. I bet you could makie a killing on that. Even UNO superstar shot 58%. As much as it hurts me every freakin time we miss free throws it is not JJ fault.

I don't think loosing to the team picked to go second plus had some first place votes while this is our fourth road game in a row also not having our best player means the sky is falling.

We won't win anymore games shooting FT less then 50%.

But they did improve on the turnover problems. Still need more work!

Also can some one tell me why we can't do anything right in the final seconds of games?

Vs. UTA man goes full court and passes to wide open man for layup.

Vs. Rice we can't make free throws and if Almond makes a three we would have lost.

Vs. Tulsa we miss 2 free throws, then foul a man shooting threes, and then can't rebound.

Vs. UNO the man who everybody knows will take the shot goes full court to tie game,

can't make a free throw, then foul another three point shooter.

This realy concrerns me about this team. They don't have that winners spirit in them. In those times it is gut check time, you either have a heart of a champion or you don't.

Those type of things have concerned many here for the past few years. It's great that we are having new fans come on board, but just because you weren't here to see those things again and again since JJ came here, it doesn't mean that it didnt happen and they are new. Everything you listed is directly affected by coaching. Poor execution, poor shot selection, breaking down at the end of games, not having FTs stressed to the point of where the players make the effort to get better, turnovers, etc....

Those type of things have concerned many here for the past few years. It's great that we are having new fans come on board, but just because you weren't here to see those things again and again since JJ came here, it doesn't mean that it didnt happen and they are new. Everything you listed is directly affected by coaching. Poor execution, poor shot selection, breaking down at the end of games, not having FTs stressed to the point of where the players make the effort to get better, turnovers, etc....

I am not that new I have been a UNT basketball fan since 02.

I just don't like hearing after every loss ( football, basketball boys and girls) we call for the coaches head. Like i have said before I don't know why JJ got an extension I don't even know why he got the job, but he is here and I think he is doing a good job. Now I know how fans of DD feel! I can't argue against you but I don't agree with you.

We want to be one of the big boys so bad that we think like we are one already. Like when people think being in the mid-major poll is nothing.

But hey, who am I? What do I know? Nothing just like 99% of us on this board. Im just some punk kid who wants to watch some good baketball and complain to people who will complain back.

God Bless America! smile.gif

Edited by untwillrise

Guys, a uno fan here. 

First, let me say just how impressive the UNT kids are.  ALL of them are big, ALL of them can shoot and they played their tails off.  Both sides did.  Neither team deserved to lose this one.  I agree with some of you about ft shooting if only because our guys, up until recently, couldn't buy a ft.  Last year they were pitiful.  This year, not much better until the last few games. Bo was horrible on ft's until this off season.  Not sure what he did to get better but he's better now.

Most of us here felt, and still do, that except for WKU, you guys are the top of the league right now.  SB play is tough and anyone can beat anyone else, esp. this year.  You guys just happened to have 2 road games to start the season and have KD out.  Believe me, you'll do lots of damage in the west.  Other than UALR, this side isn't too good.

I would like to make one comment, and it's not meant in an ugly was but, some of the comments on this thread alluding to such a small crowd in a rinky dink gym are a little off base.  None of us like having to play there 2 years in a row but, since FEMA, the state of LA and ins. companies are not helping with our arena, there's a chance that we won't have it back next year either.  Also, it should be notetd that we haven't had good crowds for some time now but if you take the fact that the students are off AND that the WHOLE area around UNO is desolate,  I think maybe you should have some understanding why.  Katrina knocked that area down and out and, passing there today, still breaks our hearts.  Please try to be understanding here.  I'm not asking for pity, just understanding.

Right now, about all we have to be positive about is our UNO teams and the saints....we sure can't count on our govt. I know the negative stories coming out of the media and understand the stuff some of our so called citizens have done in Dallas, Houston, etc, but we're not all like that.  I just wish you guys could see if for yourself with your own eyes.  It makes a difference.

Sorry for the long post but I just had to make sure you guys didn't have the wrong impression of our place nor the wrong idea of how good your guys really are.  Good luck the rest of the way.

I think your post is great! I think that the game was well fought (with the exception of the freethrows..which will have to be worked on). This team has a lot of charisma and isn't just another team. There is just work to be done, as is true with any team!

I am not that new I have been a UNT basketball fan since 02.

I just don't like hearing after every loss ( football, basketball boys and girls) we call for the coaches head. Like i have said before I don't know why JJ got an extension I don't even know why he got the job, but he is here and I think he is doing a good job. Now I know how fans of DD feel! I can't argue against you but I don't agree with you.

We want to be one of the big boys so bad that we think like we are one already. Like when people think being in the mid-major poll is nothing. 

But hey, who am I? What do I know? Nothing just like 99% of us on this board. Im just some punk kid who wants to watch some good baketball and complain to people who will complain back.

God Bless America!  smile.gif

Since you have been a fan since 02, I am curious as to why you believe that JJ is doing a good job when there has been no improvement and the same problems(poor FT shooting, poor shot selection, late game collapses, TOs) still persist each season? I have seen the talent level of the players steadily rise since I started watching, but the results and sloppy play are same as always. Also, why do you not believe that we can't be one of the "big boys"? We have the facilities and are surrounded by some of the best high school talent in the nation. There is no reason that we should not be at least competing for the conference title every year, as well as being contenders for being invited to one of the post season tournaments. Anyone who thinks that those aren't goals that we should be striving for and expecting is selling this team and school short. Being content with the same mediocre results every season is not the mark of a true fan, it is the mark of someone who just wants to watch good basketball and argue with people who expect more from this program. I think you are a true fan though, so just think about what you want from this team and what should be expected from a coach who has been here for 4 or 5 seasons with no marked improvement whatsoever.

Since you have been a fan since 02, I am curious as to why you believe that JJ is doing a good job when there has been no improvement and the same problems(poor FT shooting, poor shot selection, late game collapses, TOs) still persist each season? I have seen the talent level of the players steadily rise since I started watching, but the results and sloppy play are same as always. Also, why do you not believe that we can't be one of the "big boys"? We have the facilities and are surrounded by some of the best high school talent in the nation. There is no reason that we should not be at least competing for the conference title every year, as well as being contenders for being invited to one of the post season tournaments. Anyone who thinks that those aren't goals that we should be striving for and expecting is selling this team and school short. Being content with the same mediocre results every season is not the mark of a true fan, it is the mark of someone who just wants to watch good basketball and argue with people who expect more from this program. I think you are a true fan though, so just think about what you want from this team and what should be expected from a coach who has been here for 4 or 5 seasons with no marked improvement whatsoever.

Just looking at the recruits and you can tell JJ is doing a good job, he consitently brings in 3 and 4 star recruits, something that the football program can't do.. I think people forget that our best player is injured right now, there is still ALOT of basketball to be played.. I think half of the country doesn't even know college basketball has started yet