New Orleans Privateers

Buford_Julep

I think for more than half the country the season does not start until March.

ha exactly, but thats my point, its still early in the season, and losing this game was bad, but it doesn't mean the end of the world.. This loss does not keep us from going to where we want to be at the end of the season..

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just looking at the recruits and you can tell JJ is doing a good job, he consitently brings in 3 and 4 star recruits, something that the football program can't do..

Which goes to show that JJ has done a piss-poor coaching job while DD obviously was able to pull more from his players

Just looking at the recruits and you can tell JJ is doing a good job, he consitently brings in 3 and 4 star recruits, something that the football program can't do.. I think people forget that our best player is injured right now, there is still ALOT of basketball to be played.. I think half of the country doesn't even know college basketball has started yet

My post wasn't directed at you, but since you replied and have expressed similar opinions as untwillrise, I would like you to reread my post and answer the questions I brought up to him.

Like I said, I have seen the talent level increase each season I have been following the team. However, the results and mistakes are still the same as always. How does that prove that JJ is doing a good job?

Since you have been a fan since 02, I am curious as to why you believe that JJ is doing a good job when there has been no improvement and the same problems(poor FT shooting, poor shot selection, late game collapses, TOs) still persist each season? I have seen the talent level of the players steadily rise since I started watching, but the results and sloppy play are same as always. Also, why do you not believe that we can't be one of the "big boys"? We have the facilities and are surrounded by some of the best high school talent in the nation. There is no reason that we should not be at least competing for the conference title every year, as well as being contenders for being invited to one of the post season tournaments. Anyone who thinks that those aren't goals that we should be striving for and expecting is selling this team and school short. Being content with the same mediocre results every season is not the mark of a true fan, it is the mark of someone who just wants to watch good basketball and argue with people who expect more from this program. I think you are a true fan though, so just think about what you want from this team and what should be expected from a coach who has been here for 4 or 5 seasons with no marked improvement whatsoever.

I didn't mean that we can't be one of the big boys. I meant that we should and will be but we aren't right now. Most people don't realize how hard it is for sunbelt like teams to win solid games. They just see the big boys go to the turnament every year and think that is the only meaningful thing in all of college basketball.

As far as JJ I agree with your stance on him, but those problems are minor ones compared to losing a lot of games, having no talent level, recruiting players who steal computers or rape women, or being a coach that does not want to be hear.

I think what DD did is misleading a won a league that was brand new against bad teams. Then when the other teams kept getting better we didn't and got smoked.

JJ came into a team that had just jumped up to a better conferance and has made his team better every year.

As far as FT % it hurts but it happens. But every thing else i think is made to look worse by KD being out. You would think he would have the ball more in his hands to cut TO, take better shots then Watts and Sturns, also he is the Captain on this team. You can see right now that there isn't a captain type player out there and it is sorely needed.

I have been saying since the end of '04 the JJ has until '08 to make some noise because I though and still do when Sturns is a senior he will be a super star in the belt.

but he is here and I think he is doing a good job. Now I know how fans of DD feel!

You might try going out and watching the Mavs play as that may be the closest you can go and actually see a coach doing a good job. Please tell me you are being sarcastic when you state this about JJ?

How many DD fans do you think are still around?

We actually played extremely well against UNO (take at look at our stats). There is a simply explanation why we lost: free throws. Here are the final totals:

UNT Free Throws:

1st Half: 2-7, 28.6%---2nd Half:5-8, 62.5%--- OT:5-13, 38.5%---Game: 42.9%

UNO Free Throws:

1st Half: 6-8, 75.0%---2nd Half:5-10, 50.0%---OT:7-7, 100 %---Game: 72.0%

It seems the free throw problem has been with the team for several seasons. I don't know if this is reasonable suggestion or not, but it seems to me that Jonnie Jones needs to bring in a free throw specialty coach. Obviously, Jones really struggles teaching this aspect of the game to the players.

There is definitely a mental aspect. However, nearly EVERY player has free throw problems which lead me to believe there is room for improved coaching on how to properly shoot free throws as well as dealing with the game time high stress/pressure at the free throw line. Jones should not only hold free throw practices, but he should also try to create game time situations. Some ideas the coaches could implement while players take free throw shots include: play loud, pre-recorded noisy fans over the speakers, have other players yell and scream at them, have other players jump at them, invite students to the practices to intimidate them (verbally, not physically of course), and teach them breathing and mental imagery techniques. Of course, each player needs to review film to go over their shooting mechanics too.