Dickey Bids Farewell to North Texas

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...2.11787925.html

Dickey bids farewell to North Texas

Coach highlights his accomplishments in last press conference

11:45 PM CST on Tuesday, November 21, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas head coach Darrell Dickey officially bid farewell to the program he has led for nine years on Tuesday during a wide-ranging address that detailed all the Mean Green has accomplished his tenure, despite what he described as some of the toughest circumstances in college football.

Dickey took over the UNT program in 1998, just four years after the Mean Green resumed playing at the Division I-A level. The former Kansas State quarterback led UNT to the Sun Belt Conference title and an appearance in the New Orleans Bowl each season from 2001-04 before the Mean Green struggled the last two seasons.

UNT went 2-9 last year and is 3-8 this season.

Dickey was fired after a loss to Louisiana Tech on Nov. 8 and has a 42-63 record during his tenure at UNT. The Mean Green will play its last game under Dickey at Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday.

“We have accomplished a lot without sacrificing our values,” Dickey said during his last midweek press conference at UNT. “I was hired to build a program that placed academics first, conduct second and football third. That is an order of importance that is not found at many other programs in the country. I believe we have followed it and made great progress in each area.”

Dickey pointed to UNT’s schedule as one of the biggest obstacles he has faced. Dickey said UNT has played 30 guaranteed games that brought in nearly $10 million. UNT played only two games against Division I-AA teams and never more than five home games in a season during that same span.

Dickey said he was proud of what his team accomplished both on and off the field despite those odds and thanked his players, coaches, UNT fans, his family, board of regents chairman Bobby Ray and former UNT president Al Hurley.

"I have been very fortunate to be the head coach at North Texas the last nine years," Dickey said. "There have been a lot of good times and a lot of tough times. … The program is in much better shape now than when I arrived. I have had a lot of help and made a lot of friends."

Dickey coached a pair of national rushing champions in Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas, who won the title in the 2003 and 2004 seasons, respectively. Several UNT players have received national recognition due to their academic performance under Dickey, including John Baker, who was a two-time second-team GTE Academic All-America selection. A total of 15 Mean Green players have been named to the Sun Belt Conference’s Academic Commissioners list under Dickey.

Dickey also said he was proud of the community service projects UNT was involved in during his tenure, including building homes and raising funds for Habitat for Humanity.

“We wanted to build a football program with high-character kids who would conduct themselves and represent the university in a first-class manner,” Dickey said. “I am proud of our team and the high-character student athletes myself and my staff recruited to represent UNT.”

Briefly …

Dickey said Tuesday that he paid for the black jerseys UNT’s players wore on Saturday in their game against Florida Atlantic. The jerseys had no names or logos.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

Dickey's accomplishments

On the field

-- Coached back-to-back NCAA rushing champions in Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas in 2003 and 2004

-- Won four consecutive Sun Belt conference titles and made four appearances in the New Orleans Bowl from 2001-04

-- Finished first or second in conference play in five of nine seasons

-- Posted a 34-21 conference record

-- Won 26 straight Sun Belt Conference games from 2001-2005

-- Won non-conference games against Texas Tech (1999), Cincinnati (2002), Baylor (2003) and SMU (2006)

-- Won nine games in 2003, only the fifth nine-win season in program history

-- Posted three shutouts in 2002, most in a season at UNT since 1951

-- Posted an NCAA single-game-record three safeties in a game

-- Won a seven-overtime game against Florida International in 2006

-- Coached defense that had eight sacks against Texas in 2002

-- Coached defense that had 44 sacks in 2002

-- Coached two All-Americans

-- Coached NCAA scoring champion Patrick Cobbs in 2003

-- Coached 72 all-conference players

-- Coached 24 players who have played professionally

-- Coached three conference Player of the Year winners

-- Coached three conference Defensive Players of the Year

-- Coached three conference Newcomers of the Year

-- Coached two conference Offensive Players of the Year

-- Coached two conference Freshman of the Year winners

-- Coached New Orleans Bowl Most Outstanding Player in 2002

-- Coached UNT's all-time leader in passing efficiency

-- Coached UNT's fourth all-time leading passer

-- Coached UNT's third all-time leader in touchdown passes

-- Coached UNT's all-time leader in receptions and receiving yards

-- Coached UNT's top four all-time leading rushers

-- Coached UNT's all-time leading scorer

-- Coached UNT defense that led conference in total defense in 2001-03

-- Coached Sun Belt's top-ranked rushing offense in 2002

-- Coached Sun Belt's to-ranked passing defense in 2002

-- Coached Sun Belt's top-ranked passing efficiency offense in 2003

-- Coached Sun Belt's top-ranked scoring defense in 2002-03

-- Coached Sun Belt's top-ranked rushing defense in 2002-03

-- Coached Jamario Thomas, who set NCAA records for reaching 1,000 yards in fifth game of season as a freshman, most 200-yard rushing games by a freshman with six and most consecutive 200-yard games with five in 2004.

-- Rallied from 0-5, 1-5, 1-4 and 0-4 starts in 2001-04 to win the Sun Belt title and play in the New Orleans Bowl

Academics

-- Boosted team GPA from 1.9 to 2.57

-- Boosted graduation rate from mid-20 percentile to 64 percent

-- Coached three academic All-Americans

-- Coached 12 Big West Academic All-Conference picks

-- Coached 15 players who made the Sun Belt Conference Academic Commissioners list

-- Coached John Baker, a two-time second-team GTE Academic All-America selection

-- Coached Jeff Muenchow, who earned the Verizon Academic All-District VI honors

-- Coached Nick Bazaldua, who earned the Wall Street Journal 2005 Student Achievement Award that is given to the top 400 students in America

-- Kept the program in good standing with the NCAA's Academic Progress Rate report and avoided the loss of any scholarships

Community service by players

-- Volunteered for Habitat for Humanity, building homes in 1999 and 2000 and raising approximately $800-$1,000 per year in each spring from 2003-06

-- Volunteered time during the American Cancer Society's "Relay for Life"

-- Visited children in the New Orleans Children's Hospital each December from 2001-04

-- Worked with the Denton Youth Football Association in 2003 and 2004

-- Volunteered at the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church's fundraising differ in 2005

-- Helped promote proper heath and fitness at local elementary schools from 2001-03

-- Three UNT players with dyslexia spoke to local children with similar problems this spring

-- Volunteered with the Team Focus Camp for boys without fathers

-- Collected food and clothing that was sent to victims or Hurricane Katrina

Financial gains

-- Brought in close to $10 million for the athletic department though a schedule Dickey said included 30 guarantee games

-- Secured a $1 million donation from Houston businessman Jim McIngvale

Just to set a few things straight on this.

He coached in 15 guaranteed(MONEY) games, or body bag games, NOT 30.

You cannot include the teams that gave us a return trip as such. He coached against Baylor 4 games, Texas A&M 1 game, Texas Tech 4 games, Kansas 1 game, UNLV 2 games, TCU 3 games, all of which gave us return trips at home or at Texas Stadium. However, at least two of those programs Corky beat with 20 fewer scholarships to work with than DD did and a lot less money and less facilities to recruit to, and never complained onced to the media about his "situation".

Dickey coached against 3 1-AA programs: Samford in '00, Troy in '01, Nichols State in '02, of which he went 2-1 against.

In a span of 6 seasons('01 thru '06) Dickey coached against 3 brand spanking new start up programs in South Florida, Florida International and Florida Atlantic which have been playing football for 17 seasons combined(USF started in '97), or 65 some odd fewer years than North Texas has, and finished....2-5 against them.

He also coached 10 games against two teams that only started playing 1-A around the time the belt started and went 6-4 against them(MUTS and Troy). Amazingly, even though Troy entered their full 1-A season in '02, and having played them 4 times, Dickey finished a solid 1-3 against them.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I heard that Dickey took no questions from the media at this press conference. He asked them to show up, read off his accomplishments for 45 minutes, and vamoosed.

Most of what he says is true, and I think the guy's a no-brainer UNT Hall of Famer the minute he's eligible. But if he made friends during the last several years of his time in Denton, where are they? How many fans here or elsewhere are going to the wall for him?

My read on the situation is that there's not a lot of residual good feeling for this guy based on off-the-field conduct over the years, and this bit him in the ass when his teams faltered.

Other Dickey accomplishments which he didn't have time to list:

1) In his spare time, he discovered cures for Cancer, Aids, and the Ebola virus. Unfortunately, he's waiting on patents before going public with the cures.

2) Brokered a peace deal between the Palestinians and Israelis

3) Actually baked a tasty fruitcake.....the world's first.

4) Remember that time he found your keys...when you couldn't find them? Remember, they were in sofa cushion. Thanks, Coach Dickey!

5) Since his arrival in Denton, all cats and dogs have gotten along.

6) He gave the Kettle Korn guy a better recipe, which he's used since the 2002 season.

7) Remember that last good rain you had in Denton? Thankfully Darrell is 1/164th Cherokee, and a little dance he did, brought that about.

8) Since he's been in Denton, just face facts.....farts don't smell as bad as they used to.

9) He was the one who convinced PlummMeanGreen to start posting in Technicolor.

There are probably many more, but these were ones that just came to mind.....

thanks DD!

Most of what he says is true, and I think the guy's a no-brainer UNT Hall of Famer the minute he's eligible. But if he made friends during the last several years of his time in Denton, where are they? How many fans here or elsewhere are going to the wall for him?

My read on the situation is that there's not a lot of residual good feeling for this guy based on off-the-field conduct over the years, and this bit him in the ass when his teams faltered.

Not true at all... I am a huge Darrell Dickey fan. Over the course of his 9 years here, DD made himself and his players available for everything from charity events to Flag Football games. I walked into his office from time to time and he always had time to talk to me..as he would any of you. When I needed players or a practice field for an event, DD gave with no hesitation. When I heard something that sounded like an insult to the Fans or Alums, I would ask DD straight out, and got truthful and honest answers every time. Darrell Dickey is a class act who simply had two terrible seasons. Dont make the mistake of thinking he didnt think highly of the fans and Alums here...he did. DD's mistake was talking out loud about the fans and alums who would be there when we win, then abandon this team when they lose. He warned the players to not be so affected by those people and it came across badly to to those dedicated alums who were down on the field. He explained all of that to help the Alums understand what he meant. He didnt have to, but he took the time to do it.

The only flaw I could pin on DD was the retention of Ramon Flannigan as the OC here. He may have had little control over that, but there is really no one else to blame for an assistant coach's behavior. As for the rest, the guys will support the fact that I have always been loyal to Coach Dickey. Now, do I think it was time for a coaching change?, yes I do. However, that is not based on what kind of guy DD was. Sometimes even the best coaches in the world get fired...they know that is going to happen everntually. Very rarely does a coach stay in one place for 20 years. I think DD got his money's worth out of his 9 years here. I know I got FOUR conference titles, Four trips to New Orleans, a chance to shout "We beat you in your house!!!" at Spike Dykes, and my son has been in DD's office and was treated like a VIP.

Say what you want about Darrell Dickey, but where else do you get this kind of access to the team, interaction with the coaches and players, and an open-door policy with the HC? UT, Tech, SMU, A&M...those fans and alums dont get this kind of access wihtout giving major money.

We will have a new head coach in the spring, and I will back him. (If it will get Todd Dodge to come here, I'll have Chris wash his car once a week) But Darrell Dickey gave us something we never had. Two national rushing champions for the School, and four really great trips to New Orleans for me.

Good memories, I think.

GMG!!!

Not true at all... I am a huge Darrell Dickey fan. Over the course of his 9 years here, DD made himself and his players available for everything from charity events to Flag Football games. I walked into his office from time to time and he always had time to talk to me..as he would any of you. When I needed players or a practice field for an event, DD gave with no hesitation. ...

Thanks for posting this. I didn't see evidence of community outreach on Dickey's part, but I'm four states removed from Denton so I get my info here and from the media.

If you read closely, he's got Patrick Cobbs and Jamario Thomas as part of 14 of his 32 accomplishments.

Still, I'm willing to grant the program is now better than it was when he got here. Just the increased graduation rate and GPA average is a clear improvement.

Thanks and good-bye!

He did the GPA up and the improvement in grades and that is also good.

I heard that Dickey took no questions from the media at this press conference. He asked them to show up, read off his accomplishments for 45 minutes, and vamoosed.

Did he ever really take questions before? He never took questions from people in his coaches show. But Vito for that matter really never ask any questions worth much, so it is just as well.

Why was he shouting? Was it held in the Super Pit or something?

Other Dickey accomplishments which he didn't have time to list:

6) He gave the Kettle Korn guy a better recipe, which he's used since the 2002 season.

This answers my question of why I could never get Kettle Korn after the 3rd quarter....they always ran out.

Med, I agree with everything you just said.  Well put.

I guess there will always be a lot of DD – Good Guy/Bad Guy stories. I have no reason to doubt the stories of DD – Good Guy, but why when he was in public forums did he almost always seem to come off as bitter? He could have helped himself by working with a Public Relations firm to be able to open up in public venues. wink.gifwink.gif

Briefly …

Dickey said Tuesday that he paid for the black jerseys UNT’s players wore on Saturday in their game against Florida Atlantic. The jerseys had no names or logos.

NOW THAT IS WHAT I AM TALKIN' ABOUT!!! TAKING THE CREDIT FOR BEING A DONKEY'S BEHIND! THANK YOU MR. VITO...AND SORRY ABOUT THE "PRESS DWARF" COMMENT.

MED, RICK, RCADE, ETHAN S. & TROY @ FW STAR TELEGRAM...THANK YOU FOR YOUR WISE WORDS, SUGGESTIONS, AND LOVE OF THE MEAN GREEN...WE WILL SURVIVE - EVEN THIS!!

WE AIN'T LEAVIN DENTON...CAUSE IT'S OUR HOME!!

biggrin.gif

An earlier quote said that he needed to find a way to feed his family now. If that's the case, buying black uni's for a football team should not be very high on his list of priorities. Darrell needs to realize that whatever fan base he's trying to alienate will come back when our new coach starts winning. He could take the high road like RV, but it's just not his way.

Hey coach, "Your money's on the dresser. I'm through with you." - Phil Hartman.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Won a seven-overtime game against Florida International in 2006

That's one of his accomplishments? blink.gif I wouldn't be touting a win in 7 OTs when you only manage to score 25 freaking points. We did everything possible to capitulate (and have for most every single game the past 2 years).

Edited by UNTFan23

DD makes some legitimate points in his farewell.

1. does DD remain solely responsible for his current record when he had no input on all the OOC "money games" or does RV hold the bag on this too??

As we know mid-major teams stand little to no chance of defeating BCS schools.

RV could have scheduled less BCS teams and more mid-majors with a few D-1AA teams thrown in during the DD era.....

Was RV under "higher" authority to schedule these games or was this done on his own??

Am I glad to see DD leave??.....yes and glad to see the OC go to. I personally thought the play calling was horrible during the last two years. I felt that the talent UNT had was under utilized.

Since the retirement of the Coach Otus Mitchell in 1966 UNT has been the death bell for college coaches with the exception of Rod Rust and Haden Fry. Rust ended up back in the NFL and Fry at Iowa. All other coaches have faded away into never-never land. UNT is a "tough" place to coach and expect to move up in the college ranks. I persoanally hope that the next coach can take UNT to the next level and stay and build a respectful program without either:

1. never being heard of again.

or

2. staying a couple of years and getting a better offer.

with the record of the last 40 years it is a crap shoot and I wish the next coach the best of luck.

Edited by eulesseagle

1.  does DD remain solely responsible for his current record when he had no input on all the OOC "money games" or does RV hold the bag on this too??

I can't recall Dickey getting much criticism, if any, for losing money games to BCS opponents. Criticism of his OOC performance was generally about teams we had a realistic chance to beat, like U.S.F., FAU and Troy before then joined the Belt, Baylor, SMU, and Tulsa. With the exception of Baylor and SMU at Fouts and one bowl win, Dickey's teams rarely overachieved in OOC games and were often blown off the field.

1.  does DD remain solely responsible for his current record when he had no input on all the OOC "money games" or does RV hold the bag on this too??

RV could have scheduled less BCS teams and more mid-majors with a few D-1AA teams thrown in during the DD era.....

Was RV under "higher" authority to schedule these games or was this done on his own??

Come on study the schedule and you would realize up until last year the money games were schedule by Helwig, not RV. Don't throw RV under the bus for DD not being competitive. Most schedules for OOC are made 3-4 years out. RV has given DD nice schedules to work with and DD blew it plain and simple. As for 1-AA that is a lose lose proposition.

I really don't get all the hostility. DD did alot for the program, what's the harm in recognizing that. Ultimately all our loyalities reside with the school and not the person, but the lack of class displayed on this board undermines the University.

Everyone recognizes that it's time for a new coach to come in, but there's no reason to disrepect the program by disrepecting the out going coach.

Of course there are those who pretend they are the vicitims here. The ones who claim their offended by DD's press conferences or play calling, but we know that's not true. Sure it make for snazy on-line debates, but it simply not true.