Randy Butler not contacted

Glad To Be Green

Let me stop this now. I received a phone call from Coach Butler and returned his call. I asked if he was calling because he was interested in the job. I invited him to apply and send info same as all candidates. I did not initiate contact. I can also now promise you that while I do know Coach Butler and he is a good friend, he is not a contender.

Rick V

Thanks RV for stopping by! Sometimes people put the cart before the horse and just try to stir things up.

Go Mean Green and in RV we trust.

Butler expressed interest - RV let the USM folks know out of courtesy (obviously Butler didn't want to run and tell his boss that he was looking for another job, DUH!) - and that is how an interview is set up.

This is standard procedure folks, you don't want coaches sneaking around, trying to get jobs behind their current empoyer's back. It makes that candidate look "Fran-like" easpecially if they don't get the gig! In addition to it being a common sense thing to do, I think that it might be the rules - you have to ask permission to talk to a coach about a job when he is already under contract somewhere else. Butler is not allowed to ask for that permission, the school that wants to interview him has to.

Man, I swear - people really knee-jerk at the smallest sh*t.

*keep it clean

Butler expressed interest - RV let the USM folks know out of courtesy (obviously Butler didn't want to run and tell his boss that he was looking for another job, DUH!) - and that is how an interview is set up. 

This is standard procedure folks, you don't want coaches sneaking around, trying to get jobs behind their current empoyer's back.  It makes that candidate look "Fran-like" easpecially if they don't get the gig!  In addition to it being a common sense thing to do, I think that it might be the rules - you have to ask permission to talk to a coach about a job when he is already under contract somewhere else.  Butler is not allowed to ask for that permission, the school that wants to interview him has to.

I think you hit it right on the head with this.

This is standard procedure folks, you don't want coaches sneaking around, trying to get jobs behind their current empoyer's back.  It makes that candidate look "Fran-like" easpecially if they don't get the gig!  In addition to it being a common sense thing to do, I think that it might be the rules - you have to ask permission to talk to a coach about a job when he is already under contract somewhere else.  Butler is not allowed to ask for that permission, the school that wants to interview him has to.

*keep it clean

I couldn't have said it better.

Let me stop this now. I received a phone call from Coach Butler and returned his call. I asked if he was calling because he was interested in the job. I invited him to apply and send info same as all candidates. I did not initiate contact. I can also now promise you that while I do know Coach Butler and he is a good friend, he is not a contender.

Rick V

That's pretty cold to tell a guy to send a resume while knowing he isn't a contender. Maybe I'm reading this wrong though....

Guest JohnDenver

It is good PRESS for Randy Butler too. It puts his name out there as a potential candidate when OTHER teams go around searching for coaches.. It isn't cold blooded. It is part of the game. It is better to keep your name in the news, even when it isn't news..

Before this, I had no idea who Butler was... It may be the case for ADs for other schools too. They read it in some newspaper and the name has sunk in.

I'd agree that it is pretty cold to do that and to go on to an internet message board to announce it. C'est la vie, I guess. Good luck on your HC search.

I don't know how much of the job world you have seen, but it is ALWAYS good to have your resume out there wheter or not you get hired for a job. Sometimes its not that you aren't skilled, but rather you are not what they are looking for at the time or for the current position. Down the road though if the job changes having that resume in the file always helps. I would be willing to bet people on this board have gotten called back by a company for a different position that one they originally applied for by having a resume on file.

I don't know how much of the job world you have seen, but it is ALWAYS good to have your resume out there wheter or not you get hired for a job.  Sometimes its not that you aren't skilled, but rather you are not what they are looking for at the time or for the current position.  Down the road though if the job changes having that resume in the file always helps.  I would be willing to bet people on this board have gotten called back by a company for a different position that one they originally applied for by having a resume on file.

Well, I don't how many friends or how much work experience you have, but I think it's pretty crappy to encourage your "good friend" to apply for a job, but then basically tell everybody else (via the internet no less) that he has no chance to get hired.

Well, I don't how many friends or how much work experience you have, but I think it's pretty crappy to encourage your "good friend" to apply for a job, but then basically tell everybody else (via the internet no less) that he has no chance to get hired.

Agreed, it's a very weird thing to do. RV should have just stated that, yes, this man was contacted and no, he is far from the sole candidate being considered - many of whom would be more attractive to the fan base.

There you have it. That would have been sensible. Why would this guy still be interviewed if he had no chance? And why for the love of God embarress him before the interview even happened?

I can only guess that there is more to this. I don't think RV is lying but there must be some other purpose in this interview...

That's pretty cold to tell a guy to send a resume while knowing he isn't a contender.  Maybe I'm reading this wrong though....

A business practice that we have followed for many years is that anyone who calls or walks in off the street, if they ask for a job application or want to drop off an unsolicitated resume', we gladly oblidge. Maybe old school now, but that's what we do. Been in business 75 years with these old business practices. cool.gif

He came on here to silence all the speculation. His buddy wants his name out there. His buddy is under contract and can't contact UNT. UNT has to request permission to speak with him regarding the job.

Be in Butler's shoes.

"Hey Rick, I was wondering if you could put my name in the mix for the HC job so it may help me with future offers."

Would you rather....?

A. No man, you don't have a shot, sorry.

B. Sure man, we're looking for someone with HC experience but I'll throw you in there to get your name public.

He came on here to silence all the speculation. His buddy wants his name out there. His buddy is under contract and can't contact UNT. UNT has to request permission to speak with him regarding the job.

Be in Butler's shoes.

"Hey Rick, I was wondering if you could put my name in the mix for the HC job so it may help me with future offers."

Would you rather....?

A. No man, you don't have a shot, sorry.

B. Sure man, we're looking for someone with HC experience but I'll throw you in there to get your name public.

You forgot:

C. Sure man, we're looking for someone with HC experience but I'll throw you in there to get your name public and almost immediately tell everybody that you aren't a contender.

Agreed, it's a very weird thing to do.  RV should have just stated that, yes, this man was contacted and no, he is far from the sole candidate being considered - many of whom would be more attractive to the fan base.

There you have it.  That would have been sensible. Why would this guy still be interviewed if he had no chance?  And why for the love of God embarress him before the interview even happened?

I can only guess that there is more to this.  I don't think RV is lying but there must be some other purpose in this interview...

Exactly. This was my point. I'm not worked up about it or worried that Butler will leave. I've never met him or RV. I have no personal axe to grind. I just thought it was kinda crappy to encourage him to apply, regardless of who contacted whom first, only to basically cut his legs out from under him almost immediately. The theory that RV was just trying to get a buddy's name in the mix doesn't fly when he craps on him while doing it. Again, good luck on your search.

Exactly. This was my point. I'm not worked up about it or worried that Butler will leave. I've never met him or RV. I have no personal axe to grind. I just thought it was kinda crappy to encourage him to apply, regardless of who contacted whom first, only to basically cut his legs out from under him almost immediately. The theory that RV was just trying to get a buddy's name in the mix doesn't fly when he craps on him while doing it. Again, good luck on your search.

His name is in the newspaper, he wins. How many sources outside of this board have said he has no chance. It is unlikely that the media would use this board as a reference. If anything, they only discount us. Point is, Butler's rep is intact and there is no bad press out there in regard to RV not giving him a chance.