DRC Full article on DD firing

OldTimer

"I am extremely disappointed," senior wide receiver Johnny Quinn said. "Coach has always been there for me and believed in me"

.. really? Is that why K-Mart had to lobby for you to get a ship at North Texas?

. ... He has better things he can move on to."

...that's been the case since he arrived here. Why didn't he moved on to "better things" a long time ago. Or better still, why hasn't someone come along and hired him away from us?

I think if so many players are unhappy with DD's firing, then so be it leave your scholarship at the door and go play elsewhere. I hope the next coach promotes some discipline on the team and earns the respect of the team for the discipline and not allowing the team to run rough-shod.

I would hope everyone would strive to be gracious, especially in victory.

You know, all along I've not wanted DD to be fired. I've wanted him to do the right thing for himself and his family, and resign and move on. Failing that, my choice would have been for RV and Dr. B, to have met with Coach Dickey and explain that he can either resign or be fired. Resigning would have been a much better situation.....unless his contract calls for more compensation if he's fired.

I just want this to be behind us as soon as possible, and it's extremely hard to do that when you have a fired coach who is still walking the sidelines for the remainder of the season.

Overall this makes the University Administrators look......less than competent.

Edited by SilverEagle

I just want this to be behind us as soon as possible, and it's extremely hard to do that when you have a fired coach who is still walking the sidelines for the remainder of the season.

this is not an uncommon practice. Florida did it with Ron Zook, other schools are doing it right now. I dont think it makes our administrators look incompetent in the least. I think it makes them look gracious, and shows a great deal of foresight. They recognize they have to begin moving towards grabbing a coach ASAP, so that we dont waste anymore time with recruitment. It gives Dickey the chance to finish out the season with his players, and puts him out on the market for any other institutions looking for a new coach.

I dont think they could have done this any better for Dickey or the University.

Edited by Eagle1855

You know, all along I've not wanted DD to be fired. I've wanted him to do the right thing for himself and his family, and resign and move on. Failing that, my choice would have been for RV and Dr. B, to have met with Coach Dickey and explain that he can either resign or be fired. Resigning would have been a much better situation.....unless his contract calls for more compensation if he's fired.

Honestly, my thought is that it is very possible RV met with DD and gave him the resign or be fired ultimatum. I would prefer to reserve judgement on the administrators until I know the full details, which I doubt will ever happen. I just don't see how politically (and we know that Dr. Bataille is extremely savvy, and RV knows how to plays his cards), it would be in the best interests of the university to just up and fire DD.

I think he made the decision to go out like this. That's purely speculation on my part, and for the life of me I don't know why he would choose this way (except that maybe his benefits, i.e., medical benefits, are tied to being fired rather than resigning.

Let's be careful about commenting on any comments made by current players. What are they suppose to say? They're still playing for the guy and whether they agreed with the firing or not, they can't and shouldn't say anything bad about a Coach they're still playing for. So, let's cut JQ some slack.

I have no problem with JQ he is graduatin to bigger and better things. there is another player who IMO should be a little quiter and be thankful DD kept him on the field for as long as he did, even when was evident a change needed to be made over the past 2 years. dry.gif

Let's be careful about commenting on any comments made by current players.  What are they suppose to say?  They're still playing for the guy and whether they agreed with the firing or not, they can't and shouldn't say anything bad about a Coach they're still playing for.  So, let's cut JQ some slack.

I hear you, but "he has better things he can move onto" sounds pretty bitter. The last thing we need is to lose some of these guys as future supporters. Honest question: what does our current letterman's association look like? Do we have some active supporters that played for DD?...what's the precedent at NT for seeing continued involvement in the letterman's association after a HC's firing?

I'm only asking b/c I'd like to see some of these guys stick around the program. Also, (and this is off-topic) what can be done to honor some of NT's past teams during halftimes of games (or the like)? This is something I always like to see and it seems it happens very little at NT. Would it be terribly difficult to bring together (every year) the 10(or 15?) year reunion of a class and honor them at Homecoming?

I can expect the jr's & sr's to be upset by this. They've had a few years to establish a relationship.

They'll be OK when the new coach comes in and winning follows(hopefully).

It would be better for the team to have had one of the coaches...say Evans as interim coach and DD not be left there to cause problems with the current and future players. I've seen this happen before in other situations. DD is well known for publically running down NT, its facilities and its fans.

I wish him well personally, and hope he finds another job somewhere else soon.

Edited by OldTimer