My talk with Coach Darrell Dickey

medpilot21

Apologies in advance..this will be a "plum-like" post. I spent a good half hour with Darrell Dickey Friday morning, and was asked to put this out for the rest of the board members and fans. First of all, I have always preached that DD has a "open-door" policy with those who take issue with something he has said. He has appearances in lots of functions and always answers questions honestly. He has never run from a question and would tell you what he thinks or feels. As many of us have been priveldged enough to get to know our footbal coach personally (not very common for a Division-IA head-coach to be so accessible to the fans and Alums), I felt it was time to give the man a chance to squash or support the things that were heard said to his players after the spring game. I have said many times on this board that I am a DD supporter, and I think most of you know that. I have also suggested that a few people here should talk to our football coach about things that bother them before they "quit supporting this program as long as DD is here". As they was a lengthy discussion about it, I felt it was time to talk to Coach Dickey about what many heard him say after the spring game.

First the myths:

1. YES, Coach Dickey has a coach on his staff read this board. He does that so the coaches can be aware of what is going on outside of his circle, and can know what the players are reading here.

2. YES, the players read this board all the time. Coach Dickey said he will NOT tell his players to stay away from the board, as other head coaches do. He knows they will find it and read it anyway. Many of his talks to the team address what is written here, and I will get into that in a minute.

3. NO, Coach Dickey NEVER told his players the fans are the enemy. He told them just the opposite... He believes we are a MAJOR part of what happens with this team. DD told his players to be cautious of the fans who make the trip to New Orleans to celebrate four straight conference titles, then stop coming to games, and write how terrible the players and coaches are and want to fire everybody? He has never had this happen before... not even as a player? He used K-State as a good example of what he knows of fan support. While a player there, DD said they would have huge crowds that supported the team whether they won or lost. In a down year, they would still have huge crowds in the stands because they supported the team, not just the coaches or players? Those fans were there to scream for their colors...not the player or coach who wore it? Of course it mattered if they won, but the fans didnt turn on the team or coaches if they lost?, and didnt spend excess time professing how bad a player or coach is after a losing effort. They were dedicated "win or lose"...and were always there.

Coach Dickey knows we have a great number of fans here who are just as dedicated, and THAT is what he was telling his players. (He used Rick Herold as an example, and said some really great things about him) He also mentioned there are lots of others as supportive...not because of how much money they may give, but how great the support is when he looks up at an away game and there they are. The fans that love you when you win, then stop supporting these players and say terrible things when you lose are the "F###ers" he was refferring to. He tells his players very often that the fans he looks out and sees at practices, or in Idaho, or away games in a bad year, etc... those are the fans he would go to bat for anytime. He knows all of us cannot make every away game, but he knows he will see most of us at games away from Fouts...and that means a lot to him and the players. He doesnt want everyone to love him, just to be there to support their colors..no matter who is wearing them. He believes very strongly in what the Greenbackers do, and the events we hold...like this flag game for the Andrew Smith Scholarship Fund, and BBQ's to feed the players, and other events. He said very directly that those people are NOT the "F-ers" her was refferring to, and we should know that. He would do anything for us and for the fans that have never walked away from this team. DD said he tells his players we are what is good about college football, and they are very lucky to have us. I have talked to several players over the last week, and they say the same thing I heard from Coach Dickey. The do have concerns about what is written here, but they also love to get to know the fans that cook BBQ for them, and scream their names during games or practices. We mean a lot to them, and they never believed Coach Dickey was teling them not to trust us. They know he meant for them to stay together no matter what they read, and to trust in the fans who are always here for them.

4.The BOARD: Coach Dickey understands this is a new era in sports information. The internet has become a platform where anyone can voice his or her opinions about what happens on the field. This is not a bad thing, but often people post things without realizing the possible re-percussions of it's effects. It is one thing to be upset about a loss; it is another to post horrible things about what a piece of crap the head coach is, or what a bad player so-and-so is. The players and families read this stuff. Most know where the line is...some do not. We all have our opinions, and are entitled to them. But some very negative stuff was posted about players and coaches, and that can be damaging? That is what he meant when he told his players "this is the worse I've seen in my experience". He has never been exposed to so much negativity after so much success? Four straight conference titles is success. Simply put, if a player reads this board and sees what a "piece of crap" he is..he starts to have doubts about himself and his coaches. Yes, we have some great players, but they are young men and impressionable, and can easily be offended. DD tells them to have a thick skin,, and to remember these are just opinions..but some kids have thicker skin than others. Based on a few colorful posts in the recent past, he has had players come in and want to quit. He tries to explain to them that we are not the ones who determines if any player is good or not, but he sees the effect this board has on some of them. Again, Coach Dickey does not put this board off limits, but he confused with how fast some of these fans can turn on the coaches or players after having ONE down year...following FOUR STRAIGHT conference titles and Bowl games? He has not had that experience before. He knows we are upset with last year..but so are the coaches. DD's example was that we could go down to Austin in September and beat the Longhorns, then get a ticker-tape parade around Frye Street! The following week we play SMU..get beat at home, and the coaches are crap again? This is just not something he has had to deal with before? No one likes losing, but it happens. He has to keep his team focussed, and not let the things they read here, or anywhere upset their confidence. Not an easy task after a 2-9 season.

Summation: After talking to Coach Dickey in person, a few things are obvious. First, this team is ours and he wants it that way. That means we see green coaches, players, etc.. and not a good or bad player. We support the ENTIRE team because they are ours. Just like UT does, or K-State.. we are no different. If Matt Phillips the the starting QB, then HE is the green QB. If Woddy is out there...HE is the Green QB. We are there for the green-jerseys on the field and the coaches. Second, he never intended for those who are there everyday (no matter where you live..if you are a part of this program, you are the same as being here)for these guys to be offended? He honestly inteneded for the people who are always here to assume he meant that comment for the nay-sayers who arent here for this team. DD assumed we knew that, and apologized profusely if he offended any of the fans who are always a part of this thing. He said "those comments were intended for a select group of people, and they know who they are". Darrell Dickey is a class act, and offerred to put a post on the board himself if it would help clear up the misunderstanding, but he is not normally an internet-guy. He made it VERY clear that we mean a great deal to him and the players. A few years ago there was very little going on at North Texas with respect to team support. That has changed now, and he knows we are a major part of why things are getting better.

I dont know how you guys see this? An explanation, apology, maybe a little of both. I didnt need another reason to believe in Coach Dickey, but I can see why is said what he did. He is right about needing team unity and positiveness. That's his responsibilty to his players. As for his perception of who we should be as fans..I think he hit the nail on the head. I have been a part of many positive things we have done for this program, and am proud of that. But, I have to admit I am more impressed that so many on this board have made a difference to this team. Coach Dickey does more than appreciate what we do...he reminds his coaches and players of how it used to be, and how much better it is now. His "Us against the world" speech means NT versus SMU, or NT versus Arkansas State. His quote to me was "we see SMU as the enemy...we dont want the enemy to be within us?"

Count me in as one who will support the Green...no matter who is wearing it.

GMG!!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post, very interesting.

It is one thing to be upset about a loss; it is another to post horrible things about what a piece of crap the head coach is, or what a bad player so-and-so is. The players and families read this stuff. Most know where the line is...some do not. We all have our opinions, and are entitled to them. But some very negative stuff was posted about players and coaches, and that can be damaging?

Isn't that what the board admins are for? A little button is on the left of every post, and it exists to report postst that are in poor taste, or out of line; maybe we should all do a better job of policing this board for posts that go over the line; as I think we all have a pretty good idea where the line is or isn't (would you repeat the post to your mother?).

Awesome post! That's why I love Darrell Dickey and his attitude as a coach. If I was coaching this team would I do a few different things? Yeah, I would. But I'm not at all qualified to do so and I trust that the man that's been put in charge of this team can get this thing back on track. Boy that post makes me feel good...thanks for making my early Sunday.

biggrin.gif

Darrell Dickey is one of the best mid-major coaches and a class act, the fact that he would do this shows how much he cares about fan-support.

Things always get blown out of proportion with him, he wants this team to succeed, he wants them to win OOC games. Believe it or not, he prepares for OOC games the same way he does in-conference games, We just haven't been that lucky.

For those of you who insist on calling him "boring" in playcalling, and not knowing how to coach, I ask you, do you really think that you could get someone to do better with what the budget we have in a conference like ours?

Med, I appreciate that you took the time to talk with Coach Dickey and get some clarification about some things, but I'm not totally convinced.

First of all, I totally agree with the concept that "we are here to yell for the green and white" . I have always done that. But I also believe that we should hold accountable the adults who are managing the fortunes (or lack thereof) of OUR team/school. Especially when those adults can quickly move on to another location and another job.

Now,

I find it hard to believe that (according to Coach Dickey) many of the players on the team lack the emotional maturity to handle critical statements on this board, yet they have the emotional maturity (and intelligence) to understand the subtleties of his true message . A message that seemed to have escaped the understanding of all of the grown, mature adults who were hearing the same words.

At least three of the aforementioned adults (myself included) must have an above average understanding of language and it's subtleties, in order to be effective in their jobs. Is Coach Dickey speaking in some sort of code that somehow escapes us? Have we all just imagined the "seige mentality" comments from the last four (or more) years? Because if that's the case. And assuming that he would rather not have "true fans" angry with him. Then maybe Coach Dickey ought to work on a new speech.

As to the "four conference championships years and four bowl games". We had to get special dispensation to go to the first bowl game because we had a losing record. And of the four bowl games, we've only won one of them. We still have an abysmal OCC record.

I'll continue to support MY North Texas Mean Green in any way that I can. But I will not give up my right to stand up and yell (when the occasion calls for it) "we're getting out-coached". wink.gif

Edited by SilverEagle

the problem is north texas fans are green but coach dickey is purple. it is not his faullt he is a kansas wildcat and always wil be. we will ablways be green fans but as a coach he is only green until he leaves. then we are still here long after. same with some of the players parents, someonly support the green while junior is here. it is not their school they attended and c heer.

i like coach dickey and he can call us names like some do him it is ok. but i do get mad when i hear coach dickey blame north texas as a lousy place because of facilities or fans as were are not privleged to be in the big 12 like his wildcats and get to play quality progrmas every week.

" Division from within! Division from within! Does anyone know what division from within means?" Coach Dickey asked his players. The players all stared while the coach repetitively made a globe shape by touching his fingers together and then pulling his hands apart. "It's when internal forces destroy something by pulling it apart."

"In my 46 years of being around college football, North Texas is the worst, the worst, THE WORST, place that I have ever witnessed this type of division. It's probably the worst in the country."

"The fans at Gomeangreen will feed you, and they'll give you cupcakes, but, as soon as anything goes wrong and you lose a game, those same f***ers will be calling you losers, they'll be calling you woosies, and they'll be calling you worthless."

"I'm not telling you to be mean to anyone, I'm not telling you to be rude to anyone, I'm just telling it like it is, and to not forget it."

Thanks for taking the time to do this Steve. As far as D-1A standards go from a Alumnus/fan's perspective, we are very fortunate to have the access to our team that we currently do.

I too have been one of the most critical fans, no doubt. But like my own kids, I love the Mean Green not because their great, but because their mine, because their my team.....

user posted image

.......And each season, when I can, whether we are winning or losing I get out and do my damndest to let 'em know it whether at Fouts, or at Murfreesboro, or in Austin or at LSU's Death Valley. Unlike the way it is for many these days I don't need a bought/guaranteed 10 win season every year to support my team. And that is exactly what they are, my team, and always will be.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

1. YES, Coach Dickey has a coach on his staff read this board. He does that so the coaches can be aware of what is going on outside of his circle, and can know what the players are reading here.

2. YES, the players read this board all the time. Coach Dickey said he will NOT tell his players to stay away from the board, as other head coaches do. He knows they will find it and read it anyway. Many of his talks to the team address what is written here, and I will get into that in a minute.

Woh, guess I'll have to watch what I say on here, huh? Darn! My big mouth is the reason we are 0-5 against North Texas! biggrin.gif <--see. big mouth

" Division from within! Division from within! Does anyone know what division from within means?" Coach Dickey asked his players. The players all stared while the coach repetitively made a globe shape by touching his fingers together and then pulling his hands apart. "It's when internal forces destroy something by pulling it apart."

"In my 46 years of being around college football, North Texas is the worst, the worst, THE WORST, place that I have ever witnessed this type of division. It's probably the worst in the country."

"The fans at Gomeangreen will feed you, and they'll give you cupcakes, but, as soon as anything goes wrong and you lose a game, those same f***ers will be calling you losers, they'll be calling you woosies, and they'll be calling you worthless."

"I'm not telling you to be mean to anyone, I'm not telling you to be rude to anyone, I'm just telling it like it is, and to not forget it."

I think I coverred this, but he was simply telling his team that not all fans are equal and supportive. His use of "gomeangreen" was because that is the only internet he knows? He is not an internet guy? He wasnt pointing to the people who are always there..he was pointing to the nay-sayers who are only there when they are happy with the way things are going. The road is always easier when teams win... Who will be there when things are not so good? Coach Dickey knows...and so does the team. As for the division within, he was talking about a player reading bad things posted about another player or coach, which can be disruptive. (Example: a defensive player not liking an offensive player because the GMG BOARD says the Offensive guy cant throw farther than two yards.., etc.) Players remember what they have read and it has caused dissention among them in the past. Negative thoughts in the locker room are to players what viruses are to computers. Nothing good can ever come from it. DD simply wants them to not put so much faith in what the negative people say, and put more faith in those who are there to support them. He tells them to stay together regardless of what is written...ANYWHERE. He also tells them there are a group of fans that will never walk away from them...and they are most of us. He suspected we already knew that already.

I did....

GMG!!!

You mean the UT with the firemackbrown.com site? The school where they thrashed Chris Simms every time he breathed wrong? You mean the K-State where some people have threatened to withdraw support because of the Huggins hiring? The K-State where fans have been clamoring for Snyder to go because he's been "losing his edge" the last 2 years?

Face it, we're tamer than any big time program out there.

Also, I think it's funny that DD can call bad fans names, but we shouldn't say anything about bad players or coaches? Should we call the players' parents [expletive] if they don't follow our program once their kid leaves?

"Sure, they love us when their kids are here, but these same [expletive] will leave the second they graduate."

Man, I'd sound like a real tool if I did that, now wouldn't I?

Dickey needs to just button it and take responsibility. Although, if he did that, night might turn to day and light to dark and the universe could conceivably falll in upon itself. But there's also a chance he might find it works better. Maybe, just MAYBE, he should realize it's time to change whatever weak motivational tactic this is, because it alienates fans and honestly doesn't seem to work very well, either. Instead, I suspect he'll continue to offer up lame excuses for it.

It would probably be smarter, in fact, for him to NOT let his players read the board. Yes, they could anyway, but that wouldn't be the point. I seriously doubt, however, that he would limit them from reading it, because then he might not have scapegoats for his "them vs. us" speeches.

There is no value in him lambasting fans, ANY type of fans, to his team. There's probably some actually coaching he could be saving his words for. It can ONLY serve to "divide from within," which he professes to be a problem. If he were at a Big 12 school, he'd be on TV offering apologies the first time he criticized the fans. And he certainly wouldn't have been able to keep it up this long.

Personalities aside, I still say that DD may be a great person to sit down and have a brewski with....I have never persoanally met the man but if MedPilot says that he really is a good man then I will take his word for it. I have nothing against the man, his family or his personal life and neither does anyone else, according to the posts. I really don't care who he goes on vacation with if it be Ray, Bush or Cheaney.

With all these aforementioned controversies behind us:

1. Tortilla Gate.

2. You are being Out Coached Gate.

3. F*^%$$# Gate.

4. Poor me Gate.

Our major concern is:

1. Can DD coach the team to something better than being #107 out of 117 D-1 schools and probably #140 if you count D-1AA programs.

2. Recruiting!!

3. OOC games!!

These three topics have been beat to death since the Tulsa game and I DO NOT WANT TO START ANOTHER FORUM ON THESE THREE TOPICS!!

The bottom line is:

1. Can DD turn the program around next year or do we get someone else who can?? I will have to agree with the posters who say the DD is a fortunate young man to have such a W-L record and still have a job at a major D-1A school.

2. My expectations for next year are still: Win 2 OOC games, run the belt and beat the #4 CUSA team in the N.O. Bowl.

I wish that DD has NO remission on his past ailments that sent him to the hospital this year and that the FB team remains healthy and injury free.

I think I coverred this, but he was simply telling his team that not all fans are equal and supportive. His use of "gomeangreen" was because that is the only internet he knows? He is not an internet guy? He wasnt pointing to the people who are always there..he was pointing to the nay-sayers who are only there when they are happy with the way things are going. The road is always easier when teams win... Who will be there when things are not so good? Coach Dickey knows...and so does the team. As for the division within, he was talking about a player reading bad things posted about another player or coach, which can be disruptive. (Example: a defensive player not liking an offensive player because the GMG BOARD says the Offensive guy cant throw farther than two yards.., etc.) Players remember what they have read and it has caused dissention among them in the past. Negative thoughts in the locker room are to players what viruses are to computers. Nothing good can ever come from it. DD simply wants them to not put so much faith in what the negative people say, and put more faith in those who are there to support them. He tells them to stay together regardless of what is written...ANYWHERE. He also tells them there are a group of fans that will never walk away from them...and they are most of us. He suspected we already knew that already.

I did....

GMG!!!

notice he did not say some of those f**ers (fans at Gomeangreen) but "those same f**ers". you intreperet your way but I think now he is backswimming. I don't care that he talks to players with harse language but leave the fans as bad guys out of it. he will be gone someday then the next guy will have new complaints.

Woh, guess I'll have to watch what I say on here, huh?  Darn!  My big mouth is the reason we are 0-5 against North Texas!  biggrin.gif <--see. big mouth

Yes, BlueRaiderPride, you have always been the unofficial bulletin board material for NT football. It's worked great for us, so don't stop now. biggrin.gif

I was glad I had my boots on when I read this post of kissing up BS. So DD is a good guy he should coach here forever. Despite his glaring problems, and horrible record.

Oh wait he went to four bowl games in the worst conference in D1A. Wow oh Wow that really impresses WHO?

In the Sun Belt it pretty much just takes a wining record to win the conference and be Bowl bound.

Lets see under theses conditions UNT would have played in

41 Bowl Games

Winning Seasons (Min 8 games)

But wait it is negative for me to say this because I feel its time for a change so UNT can grow its football program. And I should be aware the poor coaches may be offended and oh yeah our players aren't mature enough to understand it is just a fan forum.

I should really hand it to Dickey on his ability to handle his comments about the fans. Just goes to show you can't believe your own ears anymore.

I think Dickey is grasping at straws if he tries to explain away what he said about us F-ers. But I'm not going to pick apart the semantics of your discussion with him. I think it's cool that he took the time to sit down with you, address it, and show some contrition. Makes me feel a little bit better about it.

Now, for an unabashed thread hijack, regarding his example about beating UT then losing to SMU. Here's my HSO: Beating UT is the only thing that could make losing to SMU OK. Talk amongst yourselves.

you intreperet your way but I think now he is backswimming.  

I agree, but at least we have some backswimming...

So is DD saying that the SMU fans loved the program win or loss while he was there? and Kst? I think I remember an article awhile back in the FWstar-telegram about DD and his dad at Kst and it basically said that his family was heckled all the time until DD's senior year when they finally won some games...

Edited by the green rokemi

Well....the original post about this worked me up, I'll admit. But I still say that it's time that DD makes a change (or RV). We(fans) need to be treated the same way the big boys treat their fans.....locked out of speeches like this.

The whole "division from within" speech could be applied to the fans, the same way it was applied to the team. Here we are as fans and, in the only access we have to the team, we overhear something a player/coach said and take offense to it....next thing you know, someone is posting on this board and everyone freaks.

The single biggest problem that UNT has is it's perception of itself and knowing where we belong. We have a history of not fully following through with this whole athletics push, and there still exists a belief on campus that by increasing athletics, we somehow will take away from the quality of education the school can deliver. The biggest worry on the board, right now, is that the new Pres. will come along and not continue on the path that Dr. Pohl was driving us on. Next thing you know, we all hear about DD bashing the fans and the school saying it's the worst place in the country. I don't know what DD really said, or really meant....but the point is, here at NT, we have a built-in premonition to be defensive about our school --esp. if someone associated with it (student/faculty/admin/coach) starts talking bad about us. I know that's how I responded to the original post.....

I just think that the last 2 weeks demonstrate that we are still too fragile a fan base to be given this kind of access. I personally, wouldn't want to give up the insider information we have available here on the board, and think that a select few reporters (ala...the Mean Green Report used to have) be allowed this kind of access. But for goodness sakes, keep the rest of us out! smile.gif

As a coach of 20 years at the jr high and high school level I would like to applaud Coach Dickey for having the time to deal with you mean green maniacs.

As a player at a division II school it was always nice to see those few friendly faces on the road.

As a Dad of #89 I appreciate everything you do for our boys.

America is a great place where we all have an opinion that counts.

Go Mean Green.

Edited by 89sFolks

TI-

In the scheme of events, talking is not going to improve or drive the program into the ground......

The bottom line is the W-L record of the team via what the coach is capable of doing on the field. Case in point, in BB, look at Bobby Knight at Indiana. That, IMHO, was a love-hate relationship but the man won games. The opposite is that DD does not have a winning record since his tenure. You say that we have been to four bowl games in the last five years....ok.....but the vast majority of D-1A schools that have winning records go to a bowl game and one year two schools from the SBC went to a bowl.....UNT and Troy.

We should get away from what is and what is not being said by RV/DD and concentrate what is going to happen beginning in September. All these he-said/she said statements are OLD. I believe we should know where UNT is headed by the end of September, by our OOC record, and if changes need to be made then then, hopefully, they will be made at the end of the season.

Can't we all just get along...?

Question…. If you land several big deals for your company 4 years in a row and they make tons of money, and then you only get a couple of small deals the next year should you get fired?

I'm sick and tired of the "We need a change because" stuff. Let me ask you this.... If UT fired Mack Brown when the so called "fans" wanted them to would;

1) VY have gone to UT?

2) They have won the NC?

No one will ever know... Why? Because he was given the benefit to keep coaching based on his past success. DD has won 4 Conference titles. I don't give a CRAP if it is in the Sunbelt or the Southland Conference he won. And no amount of whining or complaining will change our conference to the “Insert other non BCS conference that no one outside the BCS cares about”. Some of you are worse than my 3 year old daughter… Daddy, I WANT IT NOW!!! How long have we been back in D1A again?

I was one of the many chanting, begging, and pleading with DD to “THROW THE BALL” during the TCU game. And I don’t for the life of me understand some of the play calling, but my coaching views should not preclude me from supporting the team. If you want a change fine, voice it. But you should still support your team because it is YOUR team. I was devastated that we didn’t have a good year because we had a lot of national press because of Cobb’s and Thomas. However I am still rooting for them to Smack SMwho this year. If they lose, I will be furious for about 1 week right up until kickoff of the next game. After that I will get over it. I could give a rat’s azz what the perception is of NT on the outside. They don’t know us nor care about us so why should we care what they say about us. Talk about needing Thick Skin!