UNT football, a look at the last 15 years.

calvin

90- 6-5

91- 3-7-1 including a 72-0 loss to Nevada

92- 4-7

93- 4-7

94- 7-4-1

95- 2-9

96- 5-6

97- 4-7

98- 3-8

99- 2-9

00- 3-8

01- 5-7

02- 8-5 bowl win

03- 9-4

04- 7-5

05- 2-9

Five winning season in the last 15 years, 3 of those by Dickey's team. I am not the biggest Dickey fan but I certainly respect and appreciate what he has done. But for some who cant stand him and for the one's who say that he has set us light years behind, well when were we ever ahead ?

90-  6-5

91-  3-7-1  including a 72-0 loss to Nevada

92-  4-7

93-  4-7

94-  7-4-1

95-  2-9

96-  5-6

97-  4-7

98-  3-8

99-  2-9

00-  3-8

01-  5-7

02-  8-5  bowl win

03-  9-4

04-  7-5

05-  2-9

Five winning season in the last 15 years, 3 of those by Dickey's team.  I am not the biggest Dickey fan but I certainly respect and appreciate what he has done.  But for some who cant stand him and for the one's who say that he has set us light years behind, well when were we ever ahead ?

Look at your sample of years, 91-93 was coached by Dennis Parker, 94-97 by Matt Simon (including first three years back in 1a), and the following years are all DD's teams. Even using your sample, DD's record is 39-56 versus other coaches 35-52-2; not a whole lot of difference. I don't think when taken in total DD has set us back and I give him credit, the 2002 and 2003 teams were the best at NT since Fry. The critical question is can he get the team not only back to that level but to the top shelf of the non-power conference teams?

Yeah, its taking Mike Price decades over at UTEP.  rolleyes.gif

Sarcasm duly noted, Coffee and TV...}:>)

And if we aren't shooting for the same things Mike (Top 25) Price of UTEP is shooting for, then just what is it that we are shooting for in Mean Green Country? We all know how close to the NCAA D1-A Top Twenty Five 4 bowl games in a row got us, right?

We just cannot be reloading or re-tooling this football program just to merely get us back to where we were, folks, and from all appearances, it appears that we are doing just that. We have yet to capture the imagination of most of the regional and national media and (it seems) Texas HS football recruits as well. Something is just terribly wrong with every part of this picture we have going on in Denton now, yet when will NT's leadership dare to examine what it is and then do something about it?

We as NT Exes and Mean Green fans absolutely deserve no less than what UTEP has been getting with their football program (and theirs coming in a much shorter amount of time than our plow mule approach seems to be doing).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

"Well, you will also note our best 4 consecutive years record-wise were 01-04. Yes DD years, but they also happen to be the start of SBC conference play (7-38 OOC). Keep it in perspective."

Well if you look back from 90-95 we are playing teams like ACU, La. Monroe, Idaho St. and New Mexico St., so I am keeping it in perspective.

"Well, you will also note our best 4 consecutive years record-wise were 01-04. Yes DD years, but they also happen to be the start of SBC conference play (7-38 OOC). Keep it in perspective."

Well if you look back from 90-95 we are playing teams like ACU, La. Monroe, Idaho St. and New Mexico St., so I am keeping it in perspective.

5 out of 15 is 33% winning season rate!

3 out of 8 is 37.5% winning season rate!

Wow!! How impressive, now that something to get excited about!

Edited by KingDL1

Is there any way to find the average attendance for those years? I think our program is FINALLY getting back to a point where we have some school spirit growing with both students and alumni. Do we have a long way to go? Sure we do? But are things better than they were? Absolutely.

They key is getting the students to go, because they'll stay fans after they graduate, but it's nice to see the alumni starting to come back even for a losing season.

Is that do to DD? It's debatable. Having some winning years and bowl games helps, but then so does the Tailgating and overall game day atmosphere. It's to a point where the game day is fun even when the team isn't winning, that'll keep folks coming back.

You can't judge OUR program solely on record, because we had such a LONG way to go on all fronts. Though it's certainly frustrating to not be knocking off the OOC teams.

Is there any way to find the average attendance for those years?  I think our program is FINALLY getting back to a point where we have some school spirit growing with both students and alumni.  Do we have a long way to go? Sure we do?  But are things better than they were?  Absolutely. 

They key is getting the students to go, because they'll stay fans after they graduate, but it's nice to see the alumni starting to come back even for a losing season. 

Is that do to DD?  It's debatable.  Having some winning years and bowl games helps, but then so does the Tailgating and overall game day atmosphere.  It's to a point where the game day is fun even when the team isn't winning, that'll keep folks coming back. 

You can't judge OUR program solely on record, because we had such a LONG way to go on all fronts.  Though it's certainly frustrating to not be knocking off the OOC teams.

According to the 2002 media guide, the average attendance was....

1990 - 14,783.....6 home games

1991 - 8,452.....4 home games

1992 - 6,946.....5 home games

1993 - 8,596.....6 home games

1994 - 19,517.....4 home games

1995 - 17,376.....4 home games

1996 - 14,234.....6 home games

1997 - *19,704.....4 home games

1998 - 12,480.....5 home games

1999 - 13,752.....4 home games

2000 - 14,180.....5 home games

2001 - 14,769.....5 home games

*One of the home games was at Texas Stadium, vs A$M, attendance 45,923.....mostly aggies.

Edited by SilverEagle

According to the 2002 media guide, the average attendance was....

1990 -    14,783.....6 home games

1991 -      8,452.....4 home games

1992 -      6,946.....5 home games

1993 -      8,596.....6 home games

1994 -    19,517.....4 home games

1995 -    17,376.....4 home games

1996 -    14,234.....6 home games

1997 -  *19,704.....4 home games

1998 -    12,480.....5 home games

1999 -    13,752.....4 home games

2000 -    14,180.....5 home games

2001 -    14,769.....5 home games

*One of the home games was at Texas Stadium, vs A$M, attendance 45,923.....mostly aggies.

Who did we play in 1994 at home that gave us 19k for attendance? And if they're not currently on our football schedule, why can't we add them?

Who did we play in 1994 at home that gave us 19k for attendance? And if they're not currently on our football schedule, why can't we add them?

We had to show 17K average "tickets sold" in 1994 to be able to move up to 1-A in 1995. An alum from Malayasia bought 10,000. Plus, we had a good team in 1994 with Mitch Maher and Co.

That alum (Charn ?) was from Thailand.  In addition, until he made that contribution to athletics the University was unaware of his existance.  Subsequently they hit him up for a million dollar academic donation.

Yes, that's it Thailand. I think the Development Office stole him from Athletics after he bought that large block of tickets. They hate it when donors give $$ to Athletics instead of Music or Academics. mad.gif

Yes, that's it Thailand.   I think the Development Office stole him from Athletics after he bought that large block of tickets.   They hate it when donors give $$ to Athletics instead of Music or Academics.   mad.gif

Who's keeping Athletics from contacting this alum again? He obviously likes D1 football or he wouldn't have shown up "out of the blue" to make the donation back in 94?

Edited by UNTLifer

Who's keeping Athletics from contacting this alum again?  He obviously likes D1 football or he wouldn't have shown up "out of the blue" to make the donation back in 94?

If my memory is right, I think he made a fortune in computers and technology and credited UNT for his success... Those were extemely profitable days in the era for that sector. He probably is still doing ok but not making the obscene amount of money that he was then.