FW*Telegram It's 108-9 / Last in SBC offense,7th

OldTimer

sad.gif Posted on Wed, Sep. 28, 2005

NORTH TEXAS FOOTBALL NOTES

No silver lining if it's 108-9

By JEFF WILSON

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

If consecutive losses by a combined 108-9 weren't sobering enough for North Texas fans, coach Darrell Dickey gave them another cold shower Tuesday when asked about the state of the Mean Green.

"We're not clicking, not even close in any area," Dickey said. "Our biggest problem ... is we're making entirely too many mistakes in every area to beat anybody."

He followed that cheery outlook with, "We've got a long way to go." And like the Jerry Reed tune, UNT has a short time to get there.

The Mean Green (1-2, 1-0) has six days until it plays again, resuming Sun Belt Conference play at 6:30 Tuesday night at Fouts Field against Troy (1-3, 0-0). UNT, the four-time reigning Sun Belt champ, has a 26-game league winning streak.

But UNT ranks last in the eight-team conference in total offense (188.0 yards per game) and seventh in total defense (482.3) and scoring offense (7.7 points per game).

It's not for a lack of effort, Dickey said, but an abundance of assignment errors. He said he'll spend the week determining if he's asking his players to do more than they can handle.

"The number of mistakes we're making, that lies with me," Dickey said. "It's my job to make sure our guys know what they're doing so they can turn themselves loose and play."

Meager improves

Among the few bright spots in the 54-7 loss Saturday to Kansas State was the play of redshirt freshman quarterback Daniel Meager, Darrell Dickey said.

Meager's final numbers -- 8-of-18 for 49 yards -- don't tell the whole story. Dickey said UNT receivers dropped five passes, but, most important, Meager put the ball where it was supposed to go.

"Just his composure and knowing what to do with the ball," Dickey said when asked how Meager improved. "He pretty much went where he was supposed to go with the ball every time."

Meager will remain the starter against Troy, but Dickey said backup Matt Phillips, a true freshman who threw for the Mean Green's lone touchdown against Kansas State, will continue to be in the fold.

LB leaves team

Senior Travis Thompson, who was second on the depth chart at middle linebacker the first two games, has left the team after a disagreement with coaches over his playing time, Darrell Dickey said.

Thompson, a junior-college transfer who suffered a season-ending injury before last season, saw action in the first two games but did not practice last week or travel with the team to Kansas State.

"He decided if he wasn't going to play a lot, he was going to go on with life," Dickey said.

Briefly

Sophomore running back Jamario Thomas has almost fully recovered from a lingering hamstring injury, Darrell Dickey said.

Patrick Cobbs became UNT's career rushing leader. He has 3,133 yards, 13 more than Ja'Quay Wilburn.

IN THE KNOW

TROY AT NORTH TEXAS

6:30 p.m. Tuesday,

Fouts Field, Denton

TV: ESPN2

Radio: KWRD/100.7 FM, KNTU/88.1 FM

Records: Troy 1-3, 0-0 Sun Belt; UNT 1-2, 1-0

Tickets: $16 reserved,

$8 general admission;

(800) 868-2366 or

meangreensports.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Wilson, (817) 390-7953 jwilson@star-telegram.com

sad.gif Posted on Wed, Sep. 28, 2005

LB leaves team

Senior Travis Thompson, who was second on the depth chart at middle linebacker the first two games, has left the team after a disagreement with coaches over his playing time, Darrell Dickey said.

Thompson, a junior-college transfer who suffered a season-ending injury before last season, saw action in the first two games but did not practice last week or travel with the team to Kansas State.

"He decided if he wasn't going to play a lot, he was going to go on with life," Dickey said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff Wilson, (817) 390-7953 jwilson@star-telegram.com

Well, the great news just keeps rolling in. I certainly hope that all of our starters at LB stay healthy for the rest of the year.

Did anyone see this coming?

Well, the great news just keeps rolling in. I certainly hope that all of our starters at LB stay healthy for the rest of the year.

Did anyone see this coming?

There was a post by a user on this board that I believe might be Thompson's mom or dad indicating some unrest in the player-coach relationship. This is probably fallout from that.

There was a post by a user on this board that I believe might be Thompson's mom or dad indicating some unrest in the player-coach relationship.  This is probably fallout from that.

I think we all really hate to see Travis Thompson leave the team so early in the season, especially with all the rehab and hard work he put in last year to get to this season.

Hopefully, Travis has an open invite to come back once he as some more time to think about it. We don't know the whole situation and maybe we don't need to know all that on a public forum like GMG.com, but I hope the 2 parties can come together with a solution to make all happy if that is an option at all.

One of the stories I enjoyed following here in the FW area was the TCU QB (name?) who stayed 5 years without any playing time until his 5'th year. As I recall, he became an important cog in the wheel and was most effective for the Frogs in his 5'th year on their football team and helped in winnning some key games for the Horned Frogs. Anyone remember his name? I just remember the situation surrounding that player.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Well, from all indications this guy was a "meat eater". We need all the "meat eaters" out on the field that we can get.

I don't know what went wrong on this, but I hope that the door remains open.

Meat Eater or not clearly he is a quitter and we certainly do not need any of those.

Meat Eater or not clearly he is a quitter and we certainly do not need any of those.

Wow calling him a quitter is pretty harsh maybe he saw some Parcellesque favoritism and got tired of it.

Why don't we then call Byerly, Raymond, etc... b/c they quit on their team by not even doing the very minimum work which is required, so until full story comes out lets lay off. rolleyes.gif

Wow calling him a quitter is pretty harsh maybe he saw some Parcellesque favoritism and got tired of it.

Why don't we then call Byerly, Raymond, etc... b/c they quit on their team by not even doing the very minimum work which is required, so until full story comes out lets lay off. rolleyes.gif

By definition if you quit something you are a quitter. He quit ergo he's a quitter.

When the going gets tough the tough get going all others quit.

Maybe he suffered from Terets Syndrome and couldn't take it anymore.

While standing on the sidelines and thinking(very outloud) to himself and blurting out such statement like:

"Why the @#$# are we getting penalties for delay of game after calling a time out",

"Everyone knows who is getting the ball, why are we continueing to hand off to him 4 yards deep?",

"There's 9 men standing within 3 yards of the line, don't hand off aga.....ARGH!!!!".

"Damnit to hell, is that the only mother @#$# pass we have in the playbook, a jump ball to Quinn?!".

"That's 6 times now we have thrown a flair to the back for a loss, I think they have that one figured out!"

"Jeezus H....who's calling these plays!?"

"NO @*#&damn it! A drink of your @#$# Diet Coke WON'T help me calm down!"

...etc.....

Rick

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Maybe he suffered from Terets Syndrome and couldn't take it anymore. 

While standing on the sidelines and thinking(very outloud) to himself and blurting out such statement like:

"Why the @#$# are we getting penalties for delay of game after calling a time out",

"Everyone knows who is getting the ball, why are we continueing to hand off to him 4 yards deep?",

"There's 9 men standing within 3 yards of the line, don't hand off aga.....ARGH!!!!".

"Damnit to hell, is that the only mother @#$# pass we have in the playbook, a jump ball to Quinn?!".

"That's 6 times now we have thrown a flair to the back for a loss, I think they have that one figured out!"

"Jeezus H....who's calling these plays!?"

"NO @*#&damn it!  A drink of your @#$# Diet Coke WON'T help me calm down!"

...etc.....

Rick

Rick

Wait a minute! ohmy.gif That's what I was saying at the Tulsa game......except for the Diet Coke thing.

During the Tulsa game, my friend would turn to me and say "do you think they're going to fall for the quick kick again?" And just before their final screen pass (that went for a TD) he said "how many times are they going to fall for that screen pass play?".

I'm not posting to try to sway opinions either way about Travis, but know this... He is not a quitter. He has never quit at anything in his life and this was the most difficult decision he has ever had to make.

What has happened is a tragedy because this was a young man who totally lived for sports. He played every sport that was available in this area to the point that it caused him some injuries. His doctor told him that his body was not getting the rest it needed due to his always pushing it. We had to force him to narrow his playing to just 2 sports, played at different times of the year. Even after this, we found out that he was still going out and playing in pick up games/leagues.

To go through not one but two surgeries and rehab as well, and to practice hard to prove that you can still play the game in the same manner that you did before the injury, should prove to anyone that he is not a quitter. Yes, he wanted to play more than anything but with all that had happened since his arrival (I won't go into details about this, but as someone else posted earlier, there is more to the story), to work hard, endure the pain and swelling of the last surgery just to sit on the sidelines and feel you will never have a chance to show what you can do, then yes, he chose to move on. He has a lot of confidence in himself and his abilities and he knew he could contribute if allowed to do so, but his reality was that it just was not going to happen so he made a very, very difficult decision to move on.

As a parent, it hurt us knowing that what he had worked so hard for was simply not going to happen, but life does go on. He has made an adult decision, knows the consequences and is moving on with his life.

He made some wonderful friends while there, both on the field and off, some of which he will continue to stay in contact with.

For those who have been there, you understand the situation, for those who haven't, you're entitled to your opinion, but always remember there are two sides to every story. In our eyes, we are very proud of what our son has accomplished and what he will accomplish in the future. His next goal is to be a fireman/paramedic, so he starts his training next semester. Besides football, he's always wanted to be a fireman. Who knows, someday he may just be the one to save your home or your life!

Anyway, we will continue to follow the Mean Green and hope that they can turn this season around.

To JIMMY and CHASE, our adopted players...

HANG IN THERE GUYS, WE"RE STILL PULLING FOR YOU!!!

Travis Thompson is NO QUITTER. Anyone who spent even one day at practice saw the kid give up his body and go full speed 100% of the time. He was a team guy, and should have been a nice player for us this season if the defense were different? He just happens to play a LB spot where everyone and their dog is already slotted. The guy is an animal out there, but so are the three guys who play that spot ahead of him. (Monroe, Mendoza, and Holman plays all three spots). We have lots of talent in the LB ranks, which is why I had expected DD to go with the 3-4 defense? Well, we didnt. This defense needs leaders to emerge and a LB corps to play together. Dickey is trying to get them there. Travis Thompson was a true competitor, but how do you get him time on the field? He wasnt as strong against the run as Mendoza, and was not as fast as Monroe in coverage? (These are just observations from the practices I attended) I talked to Travis a couple of times and he was always a great guy. (the mini-mohawk was greatness) Everyone who watched him out there wanted him to play. If TJ Raymond had been eligible, we could have gone to the 3-4 and Thompson gets time. Without TJ on the DL, we really have to be a 4-3 team. Sucks how things like that affect other aspects of your game planning and prep.

I wish the best for TT, but we have players in there now strating to play together, and they are improving. Looks like we go with what we have. I wish Travis was getting time, but we back whoever DD puts out there. Good luck Travis, with whatever you decide is best...

GMG

This kid may have a lot of other things going on in his life that are more important than football. So I really dont think its fair to label him as a quitter. Sometimes you have to make a hard decision like deciding whats best for you and your family. Football does not last forever.

It is my hope that Thompson leaving in these circumstances does not hurt our recruiting at NEOklahoma . He had 3 years of elgibility when he came to NT and did not play his first year here because of his injury before the season started.

I wish him the best.

Edited by OldTimer

It is my hope that Thompson leaving in these circumstances does not hurt our recruiting at NEOklahoma .  He had 3 years of elgibility when he came to NT and did not play his first year here because of his injury before the season started.

I wish him the best.

Why would one person of several from NEO leaving hurt recruiting?

I'm not posting to try to sway opinions either way about Travis, but know this... He is not a quitter.  He has never quit at anything in his life and this was the most difficult decision he has ever had to make.

What has happened is a tragedy because this was a young man who totally lived for sports.  He played every sport that was available in this area to the point that it caused him some injuries.  His doctor told him that his body was not getting the rest it needed due to his always pushing it.  We had to force him to narrow his playing to just 2 sports, played at different times of the year.  Even after this, we found out that he was still going out and playing in pick up games/leagues.

To go through not one but two surgeries and rehab as well, and to practice hard to prove that you can still play the game in the same manner that you did before the injury, should prove to anyone that he is not a quitter.  Yes, he wanted to play more than anything but with all that had happened since his arrival (I won't go into details about this, but as someone else posted earlier, there is more to the story), to work hard, endure the pain and swelling of the last surgery just to sit on the sidelines and feel you will never have a chance to show what you can do, then yes, he chose to move on.  He has a lot of confidence in himself and his abilities and he knew he could contribute if allowed to do so, but his reality was that it just was not going to happen so he made a very, very difficult decision to move on.

As a parent, it hurt us knowing that what he had worked so hard for was simply not going to happen, but life does go on.  He has made an adult decision, knows the consequences and is moving on with his life.

He made some wonderful friends while there, both on the field and off, some of which he will continue to stay in contact with.

For those who have been there, you understand the situation, for those who haven't, you're entitled to your opinion, but always remember there are two sides to every story.  In our eyes, we are very proud of what our son has accomplished and what he will accomplish in the future.  His next goal is to be a fireman/paramedic, so he starts his training next semester.  Besides football, he's always wanted to be a fireman.  Who knows, someday he may just be the one to save your home or your life!

Anyway, we will continue to follow the Mean Green and hope that they can turn this season around. 

To JIMMY and CHASE, our adopted players...

HANG IN THERE GUYS, WE"RE STILL PULLING FOR YOU!!!

Thank you for posting that. We on the board wish Travis the best, and while some people may be hastily branding him a quiter, it's always important to remember that there are two sides to every story. We appreciate the sacrifices that Travis has made for the Mean Green, and his difficult recovery after injury. We wish him nothing but the best in the future.

Ok I don't know the kid or his situation. He QUIT.... that makes him a quitter. He may have never quit at anything in his life....until now.

I wouldn't be so rough on the kid if he waited till after the season to move one. If things aren't working out and it may be dissappointing but I don't see why he couldn't tough it out for 2 more months. If he's done with football and wants to move on after the season, more power to him. But quitting in mid-season is letting his team down. So he's 4th on the depth chart and we run a 4-3, what if one of those other LB's go down to injury in the next 8 games???? Where does that leave the team since TT has already quit??? One of the biggest weaknesses at a program like North Texas is our lack of depth. Players quitting mid season doesn't help the program.

I realize it may be heartbreaking and disappointing not to have things work out, not to get the amount of playing time you think you are entitled to. And like I said I don't know the kid or what's going on in his life. This is just my personal opinion which isn't worth much, but I call em like I see em. He quit on the team in the middle of the season.Thats a quitter in my book.

Edited by Baby Arm!