Hall of Fame

Of course he's eligible.  As far as I know, anyone who has ever played for North Texas is eligible.  The question is, do they have the resume?  The fact that Rewbuhn is transferring is a minor strike against him, but I don't see him having a HOF-worthy resume regardless of transferring.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Of course he's eligible.  As far as I know, anyone who has ever played for North Texas is eligible.  The question is, do they have the resume?  The fact that Rewbuhn is transferring is a minor strike against him, but I don't see him having a HOF-worthy resume regardless of transferring.

Agreed. 

The winningest player in our history isn't a testament to him, but the era in which he played at UNT. Outside of that team stat, what statistic does he have that makes his athletic resume pop? As far as shunning him due to transferring... no. He's been here for a good while, was loyal last year when he didn't have to be, and wants to test the waters his last year. I don't like it. I actually hate it. But I understand it. I think graduates of our university, in theory, should be hof eligible. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Agreed. 

The winningest player in our history isn't a testament to him, but the era in which he played at UNT. Outside of that team stat, what statistic does he have that makes his athletic resume pop? As far as shunning him due to transferring... no. He's been here for a good while, was loyal last year when he didn't have to be, and wants to test the waters his last year. I don't like it. I actually hate it. But I understand it. I think graduates of our university, in theory, should be hof eligible. 

One of the best parallels I can think of is Ken Dorsey.  One of the most ordinary QBs I ever witnessed, surrounded by some of the best CFB players to every play (at least, for Miami)

EDIT: except, Rubin is def a step, no, a gigantic leap above ordinary.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

No, Ruben Jones is not close to HOF quality.  How many all conference teams did he make?  Two if you count all freshman team and an all defense nod.  No first or second team mention for the All Conference teams that matter most.  

However, NT has absolutely no standards; so he is probably a lock.  Slinker and Dickey are in the HOF, so why not honor a player for longevity even though he left with more eligibility to play.  

I bet Jones, Scott and Edwards will all get into the NT HOF, even though apparently all are going elsewhere to end their college careers.  

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

HOF should be special and unique. Meant for those who truly sacrificed and gave all for the betterment of their team and the school. It’s tough but you shouldn’t water it down like we have just for the sake of having a ceremony every year to make everyone feel happy and good about themselves….. It feels like the WWE HOF watered down and all pomp and circumstance. 😒

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

HOF should be special and unique. Meant for those who truly sacrificed and gave all for the betterment of their team and the school. It’s tough but you shouldn’t water it down like we have just for the sake of having a ceremony every year to make everyone feel happy and good about themselves….. It feels like the WWE HOF watered down and all pomp and circumstance. 😒

I’m pretty sure countless dudes like Matt Phillips & DJ Draper “sacrificed and gave their all for the betterment of their teams and the school.”

We letting them in the HOF?   … Or do you have to actually merit it with outstanding results on the field/court?

When Hope Trautwein (arguably the most prolific player not named Joe Greene ever to play for UNT in any sport) gets in the HOF, are you gonna be upset about it?  I know you wouldn’t be alone if you were.