Rice Hires Lanier

1 hour ago, wardly said:

What surprised about his firing is that their wasn't much of an explanation that I saw in the DMN. When Coach Jake was terminated 2 years ago by SMU I remember more than a few articles.

Maybe "Dallas'" team isn't really Dallas' team.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

His welcome gift from the university should be a working shot clock!

Anywho, I've seen a lot of compliments about him, sure. 10 to 20 wins from Year 1 to 2 is great. But staying in the conference makes me wonder how much effort Rice actually put into a coaching search. We know they obviously don't care to upgrade their facilities.

1 hour ago, Glory to the Green said:

Good for him. He seemed like a good coach. Curious to see how he navigates his team w/out the big NIL support that SMU had. 

Rice will be different.  High academics, standards, morals, class....everything $mut is not.

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, BigWillie said:

Maybe "Dallas'" team isn't really Dallas' team.

They are rebranding. With their move to the ACC their Jersey's will now say "America" they are upgrading to call themselves "America's Team". 

• Haha 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MCMLXXX said:

They are rebranding. With their move to the ACC their Jersey's will now say "America" they are upgrading to call themselves "America's Team". 

Very appropriate. Just like the other America's Team in Arlington, SMU's stands will be filled with visiting fans.

• Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, MrAlien said:

Kind of a no brainer if you ask me, he's coming off 20 wins, he knows the conference and recruiting at this level. 

20 wins yet finished the year losing 6 of the last 7.  Also blew multiple double digit second half leads.  Combine that with his reluctance to embrace NIL and his goose was cooked. 

Rob is a really nice man though.  Very thoughtful and well-liked by players and opposing coaches.  I wish him well at Rice.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/26/2024 at 6:12 AM, dodgefan said:

Good fit for Rice, expectations are different.

I think what you were looking to say is Rice has different standards, which isn't too difficult since SMU has none.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I think what you were looking to say is Rice has different standards, which isn't too difficult since SMU has none.

Rice has all but given up on athletics.  Its sad but them's the breaks if you don't adapt to where college athletics is headed.  Prayers up for the feisty night birds!

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, dodgefan said:

Maybe that was one of the reasons he was canned. June Jones knows, what happens when you lose to us. lol

He was canned b/c he is in no way prepared to handle the rigors of the ACC.  He was a mediocre AAC coach and his record/recruiting proves it.  He'll probably do ok for what Rice expects (which is nothing).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1