CBI Tournament

What are everyone's thoughts on UNT paying to play in the CBI this year? It is March 23-27 and all games are in Daytona Florida. Unless we get to the AAC finals, I don't see us getting an NIT invite after the home loss to UTSA. Obviously, we would all rather see us run the table in Ft. Worth and go to the Big Dance but since they changed the format for the CBI, it might be interesting. GMG!

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on UNT paying to play in the CBI this year? It is March 23-27 and all games are in Daytona Florida. Unless we get to the AAC finals, I don't see us getting an NIT invite after the home loss to UTSA. Obviously, we would all rather see us run the table in Ft. Worth and go to the Big Dance but since they changed the format for the CBI, it might be interesting. GMG!

Not even on my radar. As Al Davis said "Just win, baby!". 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

I have already said this. Grant won the CBI his first season. That would be a great accomplishment for this team. Honestly, I don't even want to go to the NCAA. NIT or CBI.

Wait.. that means you would rather not win the conference tourney.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, BleedingGreen said:

I say don’t settle for CBI. Don’t downgrade our basketball brand . 

Not settling. It's being realistic. I would rather have the NIT, but I think if we don't make that, CBI is a nice consolation for a first year head coach.

• Upvote 4
  • RV 1
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, drex said:

Moving the 'little boys' out of the NIT, from what I can gather.  So, we might not even get a sniff from the NIT.

Memphis & SMU projected for NIT. In addition UAB and Charlotte are also ahead of us.

• Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

35 minutes ago, wardly said:

Memphis & SMU projected for NIT. In addition UAB and Charlotte are also ahead of us.

Man.... you are right. Not enough room for even the CBI. Crap.

I think if we beat either of them or go further in the tournament, we could take their CBI spot.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/8/2024 at 3:45 PM, MeanGreen22 said:

NIT would be smart to invite their defending champion who is finally fully healthy

I just don't know what we bring to the table. Our home loss against UTSA when we were a 13.5 point favorite is hard to fathom. We finished 7th in AAC in regular season with a 17&14 record which is not NIT worthy. We lost to USF,Charlotte, twice to FAU, UAB, and split with SMU, all of whom finished higher than us in conference play.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, wardly said:

I just don't know what we bring to the table. Our home loss against UTSA when we were a 13.5 point favorite is hard to fathom. We finished 7th in AAC in regular season with a 17&14 record which is not NIT worthy. We lost to USF,Charlotte, twice to FAU, UAB, and split with SMU, all of whom finished higher than us in conference play.

This 👆

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

11 hours ago, wardly said:

As a committee, if you have multiple teams with similar resumes, I’d personally go with the defending champ for marketing purposes.

But all this won’t matter once we win the American tourney so. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

As a committee, if you have multiple teams with similar resumes, I’d personally go with the defending champ for marketing purposes.

But all this won’t matter once we win the American tourney so. 

I understand your thought process, but what marketing power do we have? Our average home attendance is 4,000 with an on campus venue and 45,000 students. Hopefully we will prevail in the American tournament but we have an uphill climb.

• Eye Roll 2

16 hours ago, wardly said:

We finished 17-13. 

We will need to get to a final appearance to be considered for the NIT, which would put us around 20-14. "Major" programs will get into the NCAA with a worse record. 

With the new NIT format I am intrigued to see what kind of shitty basketball they try to pass off as 1 and 2 seed worthy. We have 13 losses, but also watch a 13 loss big10 or ACC squad be a NIT 1-seed. Also be prepared to watch a 13 loss big10 or ACC team be a non-AQ NCAA team. 

Basketball, more than any other sport, is rooted in parity. Take the top 3 teams in any major conference in the country and push them through our top 6 or 7 teams with a home/home. Dumb fans truly believe they would come out unscathed. And the media and selection committee wants the dumb fans to continue thinking that. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/8/2024 at 8:40 PM, BigWillie said:

Not settling. It's being realistic. I would rather have the NIT, but I think if we don't make that, CBI is a nice consolation for a first year head coach.

Charlotte won it last year and it seems to have benefited them.