Breaking: North Texas lands a Commitment From Iowa State/Ole Miss Safety

https://247sports.com/player/isheem-young-82364/

Offers out of high school:

Iowa St., PN St., Alabama, AZ, Baylor, Clemson, FL St., Iowa, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Michigan, MI St., Missouri, NC St., UNC, Ohio St., OU, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, TN, Toledo, Towson, VA Tech, WVU and Wisconsin

Very Impressive.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 6

2 hours ago, p_phelps said:

@TheReal_jayD,

What happened last year?   It looks like he was playing a bunch (66 tackles in 13 games) in ‘22, and played a bunch at IASt too….  
What DB position do we anticipate him playing?  Is he the STAR?

I remember this guy back several years ago was a Penn State commit, and he was one of the best commits in their class.  Then he ran into some serious legal trouble so Penn State had to take away the offer.

Hopefully, he's been keeping his nose clean.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I remember this guy back several years ago was a Penn State commit, and he was one of the best commits in their class.  Then he ran into some serious legal trouble so Penn State had to take away the offer.

Hopefully, he's been keeping his nose clean.

Yeah, got into trouble in 2017, which is a long time ago for someone his age. 

https://www.pennlive.com/highschoolsports/2023/12/former-penn-state-commit-isheem-youngs-long-winding-college-football-road-takes-another-turn.html

But he was arrested and charged on Dec. 1 of that year with the robbery of a Wawa in South Philadelphia. Police said Young, along with two others, robbed the wawa of more than $13,000.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, meaniegreenie said:

Kicked off Ole Miss this year too?

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

@TheReal_jayD,

What happened last year?   It looks like he was playing a bunch (66 tackles in 13 games) in ‘22, and played a bunch at IASt too….  
What DB position do we anticipate him playing?  Is he the STAR?

9 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Kicked off Ole Miss this year too?

I would be very interested to know what happened last year. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I would be very interested to know what happened last year. 

Not a lot of info here, but it does confirm it was due to disciplinary issues.  It also said he wasn't a starter in Pete Golding's defense.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/ole-miss/2023/11/04/ole-miss-football-isheem-young-lane-kiffin-texas-am/71458942007/

Also, in digging a little more, it seems the IASt fans grew frustrated with him due to multiple targeting penalties.  

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/cyclone-insider/2021/08/14/iowa-state-football-safety-isheem-young-goal-play-angry-less-penalties-cyclones-defense-top-10/8129673002/

• Upvote 1

We've been adding a lot of safeties this offseason. I hope our DC has a plan on how to keep these talented DBs on the field instead of them rotting away on the bench. Hopefully, the defense can get creative, just look at how the Minnesota Vikings used their safety Josh Metellus, where he played all over the field. I want all the best guys on the field!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 97and03 said:

So we are taking fliers on low character guys now? Great. 

In fairness, if we are going to take a flier on a low character guy, this is the low character guy* we want to take a flier on.  He could be the most elite defensive player who has taken the field for us since Booger Kennedy.

* I'm not saying he is low character.  He's done some clearly bad things in times past, and it's certainly possible he's changed his course.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

In fairness, if we are going to take a flier on a low character guy, this is the low character guy* we want to take a flier on.  He could be the most elite defensive player who has taken the field for us since Booger Kennedy.

* I'm not saying he is low character.  He's done some clearly bad things in times past, and it's certainly possible he's changed his course.

Robbery and getting kicked off a Lane Kiffin team are some pretty strong warning signs. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Robbery and getting kicked off a Lane Kiffin team are some pretty strong warning signs. 

Isheem had his best season with Coach Caponi as his postion coach. I am sure Caponi knows his character and if he can trust him better than anyone. 

• 2020 Second-Team Freshman All-America (The Athletic - Iowa State)
• 2020 Big 12 Co-Defensive Freshman of the Year (Iowa State)

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

12 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Isheem had his best season with Coach Caponi as his postion coach. I am sure Caponi knows his character and if he can trust him better than anyone. 

• 2020 Second-Team Freshman All-America (The Athletic - Iowa State)
• 2020 Big 12 Co-Defensive Freshman of the Year (Iowa State)

Forgive me if I don’t trust Craponi’s judgment. He has not yet earned our trust based on his decision making and performance to date. 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 6
  • Downvote 1