Now that we have a QB1

15 hours ago, greenminer said:

...go get some playmakers on the DL.

please!

Not sure we have too many spots available until after the spring portal window.  I could see another 8-10 spots opening just based on my perusal of the roster but that is 100% me guessing based on guys that left/were encouraged to leave and where those guys ended up is telling.  Look at our transfers out besides the big ones, where did most of our guys go? They didn't even go lateral most went down a level.  I don't have all of them in front of me but I think I am pretty close in that guesstimation.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

47 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Not sure we have too many spots available until after the spring portal window.  I could see another 8-10 spots opening just based on my perusal of the roster but that is 100% me guessing based on guys that left/were encouraged to leave and where those guys ended up is telling.  Look at our transfers out besides the big ones, where did most of our guys go? They didn't even go lateral most went down a level.  I don't have all of them in front of me but I think I am pretty close in that guesstimation.

My guess is 5-7 in the spring portal. The reality is they will find/make enough room available for any players they are confident they can add. In the portal age it seems more schools are willing to encourage players to leave if they need the spots.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, 3_n_out said:

I believe having a big name transfer qb come to UNT may open the transfer door even wider. And, I don’t mean just for the offense. When others look at the rosters to see who they can play with, having a name that stands could leave an impression. If he’s good enough to transfer here, why not me mentality

“Big Name”?

Sheesh.

Can Morris come in and execute the offense against AAC opponents?   Sure!  I believe!

Is he going to have a better season than Rogers (especially including rushing stats)?  Doubtful.   He’s not the guy that’s going to lure a bunch of big time players here.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 4

It is interesting to me how well  Coach Morris and his team did in the TP on the offensive side of the ball without a named QB. I think it matters greatly that  that he has 2yrs of eligibility and could have gone to USC or South Carolina with a payday. It shows that there are TP guys that want to play, not just get paid. I have called Coach the QB whisper and he will prove it again with Chandler. (this is why he chose UNT)

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

21 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

It is interesting to me how well  Coach Morris and his team did in the TP on the offensive side of the ball without a named QB. I think it matters greatly that  that he has 2yrs of eligibility and could have gone to USC or South Carolina with a payday. It shows that there are TP guys that want to play, not just get paid. I have called Coach the QB whisper and he will prove it again with Chandler. (this is why he chose UNT)

I think the reason he chose UNT is both 1.) the QB starter's job is open, and 2.) the school is still near home for him (DFW).  Again, for the players that want to stay in this area or come back to this area, our location is one of the biggest selling points we have!

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 7

Just now, NT80 said:

I think the reason he chose UNT is both 1.) the QB starter's job is open, and 2.) the school is still near home for him (DFW).  Again, the players that want to stay in this area or come back to this area is one of the biggest selling points we have!

I think you hit the nail on the head.  For him proximity was more important than money.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

It is interesting to me how well  Coach Morris and his team did in the TP on the offensive side of the ball without a named QB

Very happy with the efforts on the offensive. Sadly, it highlights the seemingly background status Morris seems to place on defense.

• Upvote 1

It's pretty mind blowing how 75% of the transfers are on offense and the D transfers are mostly safeties. It's like Caponi thinks the main issue last year was safety play not the front 6. You would expect a massive overhaul, because we don't return enough players on that side to hang our hat on continuity. I have gone so far beyond giving him the benefit of the doubt, but he needs to go.

His evaluations are off, his game plans are bad, his lack of urgency is dumbfounding. Paying him all that money for the worst defense then watching him do the same the year after in asinine. I'm glad Morris is a better playcaller than Littrell, that's great, but he is just Littrell 2.0, and we don't have annual games with a (bad) Rice, UTEP, FIU & MTSU to rack up the wins with anymore. I'm trying to find the positives here long term with Morris and I don't see it.

• Upvote 8
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

It's pretty mind blowing how 75% of the transfers are on offense and the D transfers are mostly safeties. It's like Caponi thinks the main issue last year was safety play not the front 6. You would expect a massive overhaul, because we don't return enough players on that side to hang our hat on continuity. I have gone so far beyond giving him the benefit of the doubt, but he needs to go.

His evaluations are off, his game plans are bad, his lack of urgency is dumbfounding. Paying him all that money for the worst defense then watching him do the same the year after in asinine. I'm glad Morris is a better playcaller than Littrell, that's great, but he is just Littrell 2.0, and we don't have annual games with a (bad) Rice, UTEP, FIU & MTSU to rack up the wins with anymore. I'm trying to find the positives here long term with Morris and I don't see it.

Well stated, and I agree with you 100%!

• Upvote 3

I am guessing here but didn’t we establish he was given a 2-year deal?

Have we considered that Caponi is not the reason we are not signing more defensive players? Morris is the one who directs the recruiting. If he wanted more defensive help we would be getting it. He seems to have tunnel focus on the offensive side of the ball. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

7 hours ago, GoGreenBeans said:

Just comparing the 2 when they came in, it’s not even an argument that a guy coming from TCU seems more impressive of a grab than a guy coming from Louisiana Monroe

You’re pretty new around here (at least, this handle is).

It makes sense why you would think this way.

I will tell you (with receipts if you want them) that thought has proven to be false outside of 2, yes, only 2 players.

The dudes who tear it up at the lower levels, then bring that work ethic with them up to NT are the ones who do better.

Carry on.  Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You’re pretty new around here (at least, this handle is).

It makes sense why you would think this way.

I will tell you (with receipts if you want them) that thought has proven to be false outside of 2, yes, only 2 players.

The dudes who tear it up at the lower levels, then bring that work ethic with them up to NT are the ones who do better.

Carry on.  Go Mean Green!

This is a very fair statement as it pertains to our history with P5 transfers. My question to you is have we ever had a P5 transfer with as much starting experience as Chandler Morris? He was QB1 leading into 2 seasons and has a good 8 or 9 P5 starts at QB. That has to count for something.

• Upvote 3

I actually think Morris could flourish in this system.  However, he is going to have to prove he can stay on the field and turn potential into results.  He has had opportunity, but has not taken advantage.  His numbers are fairly pedestrian since he has not been able to sustain long stretches.  His accuracy is up where it needs to be and he has shown flashes of brilliance, but there is always a but.

image.png.b5403cba8df5779122e0cdc1963d5b39.png

• Upvote 3

Here's the Fox Sports summary info regarding CM's career (info, highlights, and links to other articles regarding his play, etc.):

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/chandler-morris-player

And video of one of his knee injuries which seems to have happened while he was spinning and twisting to avoid a tackle and got hit at a bad position.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/34512521

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This is a very fair statement as it pertains to our history with P5 transfers. My question to you is have we ever had a P5 transfer with as much starting experience as Chandler Morris? He was QB1 leading into 2 seasons and has a good 8 or 9 P5 starts at QB. That has to count for something.

Yes.  Multiple.  The first one that pops into my head, due to their similar injury histories:

Nick Harvey.

• Confused 1